***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@ekballerbsmd2019 Thank you so much!

What are my chances for a BS/MD program? I know my ACT score isn’t that great, but I’m retaking it in September. Aiming for 34/35. Also when would be a good time to start working on essays?

Ethnicity: Indian
State: NY
GPA: 95.96 unweighted
ACT: 33, superscore: 34
SAT 2: Chem (AUGUST), Math 2 (AUGUST)
APs (my school only lets us take ap sciences in senior year):
AP Lang 5
AP World History 5
AP US History 4
Senior APs: AP Lit, AP Bio, BC Calc, AP Macroeconomics

Extracurriculars:
-Research 2+ years at well known hospital with affiliation to one of the bs/md programs (2000+ hrs. During school year and full-time over summer)
-co-author on 4+ papers and abstracts. Currently working on more
-OR shadowing
-Hospital volunteering 100+ hours (President’s Volunteer service award Bronze)
-Classical Dance 8+ years
-biology club- secretary, treasurer
-science olympiad-secretary
-Student Government- officer
-UNICEF
-planning on getting EMT certification but not 18 yet

**** My friend wanted to know if it would look bad if you sent 2/5 ap scores and would you send a 3. Or would it be better to not send any at all if you don’t have 5s.

Thank you!!

@wave0132 Hello, I think you know what you need to work on in terms of your standardized score. Now considering that you are an ORM, you are at a slight disadvantage in AP scores and SAT II scores, although you did mention that your school limits you on taking them; but the results are results and the schools will have to come down to comparing the stats. So, I think you really need to find a way to MAXIMIZE your standardized test score and even aim for that 36 or 1600. I am not really familiar with the 100 point GPA but it seems like you are at a good standing(?) so I think the one and only place you can really change at this point (knowing that your AP scores aren’t that good and you don’t have that many AP scores and SAT 2 scores to send) is your ACT and/or SAT. I see your plans for SAT 2 and ACT so do work on them because that is the only thing you can do something about your academic leg on this BSMD tripod that I continue to mention on my previous posts in this thread
With your medical experience leg, your stats look amazing. Shows that you are a strong researcher (you said you live and did research at a BSMD affiliated school, if it is AMC then I suggest you apply to the research oriented RPI/AMC program! Probably your highest chance with such strong +2000 hours and 4 publications research background!), and you have OR experience. I still suggest that you spend more time at the hospital volunteering because that community service side looks weak compared to other stats and it is relatively low for a “competitive” student.
With regards to your extracurricular leg, your ECs look good as well, but you can do better on some things such as leadership position. It’s good that you have been involved in dance, science clubs, etc
 but your leadership position (if you can still find a way) can be stronger if you can become the president of the clubs. If you can’t be one, I suggest that you make your own club for this year and be the founder and president. Lots of students do this for college and there is nothing wrong with it as long as you run it right and can somehow show on your application that your club did something.
EMT is good, but start at EMR as that has a lower age requirement (speaking from experience!) Also for AP, the choice is on your friend because if the transcript says that you took the class and they don’t receive any scores, they will suspect that you could’ve even gotten a 1 when you actually got a 2 or a 3. However, if your friend doesn’t feel like sending the scores, they colleges will not be able to assume whether you even took the exam or not so that could be a pro I guess. But again, matter of strategy and what strategy your friend is willing to take. College admission is all about how you can play your cards right at this point. Good luck! Hope this helped. Thank you.

@funnyfool Hi, sorry I just saw your post while I was looking through the piles of my responses
 Anyways, let me first be very straight forward with you. Unfortunately, the students who plan for BSMD programs start planning and making the “competitive BSMD” student stats ever since freshmen year in high school(I started dreaming about BSMD ever since junior high when everyone was talking about going to Harvard! lol) I understand that this program is not well known to many and each year students like yourself find out right before application season or even in college when they face the hard truth and rigorous studies of pre-med getting frustrated that this one kid in their class goes to every party and still has a way into med school through BSMD. Either way, you are still at a slight advantage that you know how competitive the program is so that you won’t be wasting money dreaming for Brown PLME and other top tier programs.

First and foremost, I do not want to come off rude in anyway and the whole point me writing comments here on CC is to give help and third person POV on people’s application process as someone who got accepted. So therefore, I am going to give hard stats, facts, and criticism and they might not be the response you wanted to hear. However, I’d rather have you save money and actually find the right path for you then to sugar coat my response and give you any false hope. So here is my recommendation.

If you do not cross 1500+ on the SAT, I do not recommend that you apply to any BSMD programs because you will not be competitive enough to get the interview calls. Also, you said you know your GPA is not as competitive (it is important that you are aware and that makes my job easier for you to understand your situation) and yes, the colleges look at your freshmen grades too. Some say that they don’t but I think that was for Cus but even then, they will want to see it. As a matter of fact, I will tell you not to apply unless you hit perfect score on SAT as you don’t have any AP and weighted GPA as you are from Canada (to be honest, a 1600 would give you a shot at a low-mid tier BSMD school) but college admission can be very odd sometimes as I was rejected preinterview at St. Bonaventure/GWU program and made it to the very final stage in Baylor College of Medicine BSMD selecting 6 students. Thus, my cut for you is 1500+ and anything lower, I am sorry to tell you but you will not have a chance.

Meanwhile, you need to focus on building more on your medical related activities. I see that you have spent quite a time at a clinical setting but you definitely need to go shadow your doctor more than 100 hours this summer and up until the time of your application. And yes, your lack of research is definitely a minus on your application (I’m sorry) and it will definitely cost you some points.

Also, make sure that you get leadership position. If you read from my previous comments, you will find my notes to even make a club in your senior year to have some sort of leadership position if you can’t get one. So you need to get to work on this, but again, academics come FIRST.

Lastly, here is the plan for you if your SAT doesn’t cross 1500 (even if you do, since your stats are not too good add at least half of your list of schools with these ones) is in the range of 1450-1500, and you do more ECs and leadership and build the other legs in the BSMD tripod (if you don’t know what that is read my previous posts): If you are really about make me a doctor or give me death! And if you are really interested in pursuing a healthcare field even though you are not going to be an MD, I recommend that you apply to BSDO schools and accelerated dental, accelerated pharmD and accelerated PA programs. To be honest, I think when even getting 1600 on your SAT you should still find these programs and apply there as well if you want to be a doctor and be in a healthcare no matter what, not even as a doctor. These programs are easier, but by no means achievable with what you have right now with the SAT in the 1300s range. At least 1450 and strengthen your ECs way more, then you will have chances in these schools for sure.

I am sorry if what I told you is not expected, but ever since junior high, all I did was prepare for the BSMD stats and programs and all I tried to do was match the success story stats. Thus, and again, I am not here to break people’s heart but to give you a constructed criticism and a real fact check and that’s what you came for and really need at this point. I really appreciate your interest in still wanting to apply and I encourage everyone here to apply, apply, apply! You just need some more work to do before we make that happen and need to look at other options as well :wink: Keep in mind that you are still a very awesome student. 1360 no studying is still a very good score looking at national average and such. You are just here to compete with probably the smartest kids in the U.S. wanting to be doctors
you will see in April how so many students debate between BSMD and top 20 UG schools
(I had that conflict too). So please don’t be discouraged, as you are just in the pool of people here who are extra-extra-exceptional! (Like come on, high schoolers getting into med school! The idea even seems crazy hard!) And have confidence and go for it. Even at your stage now, getting that acceptance is not impossible. All depends on what you can do from here on out until application due dates. Hope this helped. Thank you.

@mygrad2021
Your daughter has the required elements in terms of GPA/SAT score/healthcare volunteer/research experience for the initial screening of most BS/MD programs, but ask her research mentor if it’s possible to publish a paper or an abstract prior to her application next fall. She may also consider taking SAT Math2/Chem if she plans to apply for NW HPME or BU SMED. The most important next step is for her to write a compelling essay as why med, why combined program, etc. to differentiate her from other applicants. There will be MANY MANY students with similar hard number stats (GPA/standard testing scores/volunteer hours, etc). IMHO, a coherent and convincing story based on her ECs makes difference whether she is called for interview or not.

@wave0132
As you currently noted, you should get at least ACT 34/35 which will put you in the mix of many outstanding BS/MD applicants. I would send/list AP scores 4 or 5 only, not 3. Your research experience is impressive. 4+ publications as a high school student is more than many MS/PhD graduate students. How do you work in the lab 2000+ hours as a high school student? It’s like an equivalent of 50 weeks or one year full-time job, do you still sleep -:slight_smile:

@ekballerbsmd2019 Thanks so much for your feedback!

@biomeds Thanks! It was definitely a lot of work. I work almost 10 hours everyday during the summer (sometimes more) and go in multiple times a week after school for 3-4 hours. I also spend a lot of time writing papers and such. Definitely had to pull all nighters, but it’s worth it in my opinion.

Just how important is shadowing? My daughter is primarily interested in an MD/PhD track, but after receiving the unsolicited California Northstate email, it made her think about whether a BS/MD program would make sense. A few of the schools on her undergrad list have the option - CWRU and University of Rochester. She has the stats to be competitive and has research and volunteer experience - but no shadowing at all.

@biomeds Thank you for your feedback! I am not sure about the publication at this point but will surely keep that in mind as she recently started a real medical research. The other one was more of general biology and robotics. She already took SAT Chem and scored 760. She is going to take SAT Math 2 next year. My biggest concern is essays. How do people applying for BSMD programs manage their essays? If you have to apply for more colleges, sometimes you end with multiple essays like 3 to 4 for each college and again scholarship essays. How early they can start working on these? Is there a way they can start working on those early?

@wave0132
You definitely should apply RPI/AMC program if you have enjoyed research so much. GL

@mygrad2021
Most students probably start drafting their Common App & generic BS/MD essay (why med, why do combined program, etc) during the summer prior to their senior year, but you won’t know some of the specific secondary essay prompts for each BS/MD program until the application season starts.

Which bs md program is easier to get in BU SMED vs UPitt GAP ?

What SAT subject scores are required for these programs

@mi2019 BU SMED picks way more people so that is much easier to get in looking at the chances (more space, more chance). Pitt GAP let’s you know whether you got the interview invite or not very late so the whole process of applying there is a big nail biting process, whereas BU SMED let’s you know through phone calls very early on.

@mi2019 For BU SMED you need SAT II Chemistry score (of course a high score, I say abut 750+) and Pitt GAP doesn’t have a requirement for Subject 2 test scores. Hope this helped. Thanks

@Darcy123 Hello. Many BSMD program allows you to take the MD/PhD route (although they require you to take the MCAT when some of the programs exempt you) and even MD/MPS and even MD/JD (Baylor). What I’m trying to say is that if the school that accepts you as a BS/MD student has an MD/PhD program, the fact that you came in as a BSMD doesn’t limit you to only become a BSMD. Also, I suggest that you carefully turn down the offer from CNU (just check my very first few posts and the last year’s thread to learn about the CNU program).

Speaking about the shadowing, it is certainly an important aspect and even by the fact that you posted your concerns, you know it is important. Any lack of an element in your application will cost you because someone out there has that “perfect” stat sheet. After all, this application process is a competition for a spot with hundreds of kids just like your daughter. Thus, a lack becomes weakness, but if your daughter has something extraordinary that she did in her resume, those tend to even cover for those weakness and make her still very competitive. Thus, I wouldn’t back off from applying if her other stats are very good as shadowing is an unspoken requirement that most, if not all, students do, but not a formal requirement to apply. Just find a way to express other aspect of your stats that you can emphasize to make sure your strength in that area covers your weakness and still makes you a qualifying applicant. Read some of my previous posts on this forum to find out about why shadowing is important and what one can really get out of that and why the med schools want to see that in your resume. Hope this helped. Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback @ekballerbsmd2019 - now worries on CNU - she’s not at all interested. It’s more that the unsolicited email put combined programs on her radar. She hadn’t really been thinking about them as some of the initial reading about MD/PhD programs emphasized finding the right research fit which is hard to do when you’re still in high school. I think she’s probably better off just applying after undergrad.

Wow. Returned after a short vacay and find 136 posts. That’s great.

Some thoughts:
Re: CNU - General consensus on this forum - AVOID it.

Re: 6 years BS/MD (UMKC) - General consensus is that it is stressful and only decide about it after carefully looking at all other options. There is a separate multi-year thread for UMKC managed by @Roentgen . Anyone interested in UMKC should review that thread.

Re: Scores:
SAT >= 1540 or ACT >=34 will keep you competitive in BA/MD.
SAT between 1520 to 1540 and ACT 33 are borderline and you may make the cut depending on your profile / story.

Re: Shadowing / volunteer at hospital
If volunteering at hospital means sitting at information desk and guiding visitors, it is less effective than working with patients. Shadowing a doctor means patient interaction and in my view has more value.
However, volunteering for any activity is looked positively.

Re: Research
Meaningful research work is valued at almost all programs with some programs like UPitt giving additional weightage to research work.

Current focus:

• Get your SAT/ACT scores to competitive range
  • Start working towards SAT II tests
  • Start looking at common app essays
  • Start reaching out to your teachers/ counselors for references/ transcripts. Some school counselors may NOT know about BS/MD programs and may need to be educated about the various requirements.
  • Most BS/MD programs have different application deadlines with many programs having deadlines of Nov 1 or Nov 15.

Can someone give information about USF bsmd program? Was somewhat confused reading about the requirements
looks like the students have to go through the application process again for medical school and sounds more like early assurance program>

There are so many bs md programs how do we rank them in tiers based on quality irrespective of location preference