***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Can someone provide me a link for RIT/SUNY Upstate Accelerated Scholars program? I only see the article that talks about the joint program but no further details about how to apply etc.

Does anyone know when Stevens Institute of Technology interview comes out?

@mygrad2021
I found this -https://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/options/bs-md.php

Thank you @Hakhan but that’s give much information about the application process.

@Hakhan , Stevens doesn’t have separate interview at NJMS? Their website indicates about only one interview in their admission timeline?

@mygrad2021
I know, but do you happen to know when that interview usually occurs?

Happy New Year to all !!!

I’m torn between BS/MD path and traditional Premed path.

We’re from Maryland with UMD as state’s University and from what I read, it’s a decent school for Pre-Med. I personally think BS/MD path is great since it provides a “almost” guarantee path to medical school. However, the cost of 4 yrs in BS/MD is around $150K to 250K or more verse $100K or less depend on merit scholarship offer from UMD.

My daughter is still a junior, so we still have some time to research and compare. We definitely will let her apply to a few BS/MS schools along with UMD and other traditional colleges and make that decision in April 2021 ;-).

Does anybody have any info about UMD premed track ? What is the percentage of UMD premed get into medical shools ? I did some search but didn’t find any good info about it.

Thanks

Happy New Year to you too!

As I mentioned earlier, this is where college visits can give you better insights and help you with final decision making. I am sure a UMD admissions officer will be open to give that information when you ask in person. Or may direct you to someone in their circle who specializes in that area. But also be aware that sometimes the information given is manipulated too, especially in private institutions.

So for example if they say 70% of their students/alumni are successful in med school applications, it doesn’t give the whole picture. In reality it may only be around 50% and may include those who have had multiple years of gap years and exclude those in their pre-med track who have had low gpa and not so competitive MCAT score among others (to boost their success rates)

UMD being a public school may be more straightforward, I hope. I would recommend college visit there and to other nearby colleges you are considering over the next year or so.

All,
My daughter is a junior and would like to go for few college visits. I know @rk2017 , @GoldenRock, @NoviceDad and others answered few questions earlier. We’re not really sure what should we really look for in a college for these bs/md programs in each college and what information is more important to know during the visit. We’re only planning to go for few visits where they give you more information about a specific program instead of a general tour.
I was looking at Penn State - Office of Eberly College of Science visit. Looks like you’ve request for a specific college visit otherwise it’s a general tour. There is a question in the form “Would you like to meet with a member of the Office of Diversity & Inclusion during your visit?”. How this person really helps in knowing more about the college? Should I select Y/N for this?

I really appreciate if someone can give me more details on what kind of information we should collect from the visit, what answers we should get from the admission officers.

Thanks

Just as an FYI for those going RPI/AMC route in regards to cost. For undergrad costs at RPI during time DC was attending if medalist, tuition/room/board is roughly $40K/year for 3 years totaling $120K. If not a medalist (which is the highest merit scholarship), costs per year will be higher. Some of that could be offset, if after first year finding off campus housing and getting off RPI meal plan.

For AMC costs. Currently MS1 students pay $58,190 in tuition alone. For MS2-MS4 it is currently $56,480/year. The reason MS1 students pay more is because every student is required to purchase a laptop from AMC which has specific proprietary software on it that they need to use. Since AMC does not have “dorms” every student needs to get an apartment. Fortunately rent is not excessively high in Albany (compared to MAJOR cities), so if you get a couple of roommates you can reduce costs somewhat. Regardless from our experience monthly living expenses (rent/internet/food/etc) can range anywhere from $1000-$1800/month. Therefore yearly can range between $12,000-$21,000/year.

Therefore, the best case we have seen for a 7 year accumulated cost is roughly $345,000, which do not include the cost of a car/insurance/misc etc

Currently max Stafford loans for MS1 students is $40,500. For MS2-MS4 it is $44,500/year. Student can also qualify for Grad Plus loans which are at a higher interest rate than Stafford.

Also factor that in year MS4 the cost of travel to residency interviews and all associated fees with that. Since we have not gotten to that stage yet, I cannot comment on those costs yet.

These numbers may not bother some folks, but could be sobering for most.

As others have said on here, costs are something really important to factor in since you could be on the hook for many years to come. I hope this helps those who were wondering what realistically costs would be for BSMD at AMC.

Thank you @Empire007 ! This detailed cost analysis is very helpful for parents like us who doesn’t any idea.

@mygrad2021 & @ttb1263

Campus visit:

If doable and nearby go and visit. If it is a BS/MD college, any how you will get to visit during interview since any BS/MD program has a mandatory in person interview.

Parents and students may have different expectations and perceptions. So just make a trip and keep your views to your self and first listen to what students have to say after the trip and days once s/he assimilates with whatever they have to say (don’t try to rationalize or discuss, rather listen to what they have to say).

What schools have to say mostly in their web site and / or in the public forums.

We did not go to any school except for 5 interview visits and this is what we felt independently.

1. NEOMED. D did not say anything. I felt strongly that she does not end up there. Not about school but location. There was nothing there except few buildings of that school. There is no life. Students need life beyond studying.
  2. Drexel: Both felt not attending even if selected. I did not like the way the school organized the interview and the care (or lack of) they took of students and parents.
  3. Houston: We were ok. Wanted to wait until result. But did not get and may be it is for good.
  4. Miami: Not BS/MD but for highest merit aid interview (free ride). We were ok about the city. But very impressed the way the school organized the interview and the attention and importance they gave to students and parents. Since they had EAP and we were on the way to Drexel, went there.
  5. OU: Both felt very nice. Again the way NMS office, UG program office and COM office they organized and took care of parents and students and the flexibility , my D felt so happy. Fortunately that is the only BS/MD offer she had and took it gladly (though 100+ ranked school and she got T20 many offers including UCSB with Regents scholarship).

The point of me stating above is not about point x or y related to admission, % of seats and all other quantitative aspects. Rather simply you go there and get a FEEL for it. Others may or may not agree with your feel, but what is important is only your child is going to live and you as a parent going to provide the support. So it matters only to you.

@mygrad2021 & @ttb1263

Cost of education:

Medicine career is very expensive and delayed.
So do not go for medicine if thinking it pays a lot in the overall career. Things are changing and for any talented students there are so many career options with better returns.

If still plans to pursue medical career, BS/MD path is more expensive than traditional path. In general terms and always there are examples people may quote this statements is not correct. It is a trade off and the plus and minus may differ among each person’s perspective. There are many BS/MD programs 1 year less and people will quote you earned 1 year more. But counter view points will emerge for that etc.,
For all you know students views and liking may change which is natural. Don’t try to over analyze.

The main cost you may be able to control is UG cost and not MD cost. So if you get BS/MD with outstanding free tuition then it will edge. Otherwise traditional route, you may get free tuition in a private or public IS fees may be lower to contain the overall UG cost. Of course, getting in to MD is a easy path. There is a trade off. Gap year or outstanding accomplishments which students are capable, can get IS MD fees or even some marginal aid. Or s/he may go for a different career when exploring all opportunity in the UG regular path. Many parents can afford $500k, can ignore. But for any parents if cost is a critical factor, be open to all routes BS/MD as well as traditional route.

Anyone else heard from TCNJ for interview ? We are still waiting.

Thanks

we havent heard anything yet

Adding a few points to ponder, perhaps repetitive of what others already mentioned, on the cost of these programs.

1. Majority of programs do have merit scholarships for undergrad based on NMF, presidential, outstanding ECs (including research) etc for the undergrad. Agreed they may not be as cheap as in state and not given to a large percentage of the applicants, nevertheless some kind of price break is always a welcomed relief.
  2. For those who qualify for financial aid based on family income AND assets, all these programs are generous. May not cover 100% of expected family contribution, but will be significant enough though.
  3. When looking at the cost of a program for the undergrad, one may want to consider the price differential and not the absolute cost between a program and traditional path. So if your state school or that fancied (or "dream"?) school in traditional route on one side, did not give much of a cut but you earned some price break at this direct med program(s) on the other side, the difference of say 100k between the two sides over 4 (or 3?) years of undergrad may not be too bad depending on ones personal situation.
  4. Even if one attended the cheapest undergrad option and gets into a med school with 0 break year(s), it is still expensive like any post bacularate studies like law or management at some of the high end schools. And as mentioned earlier, you may not want to count on getting into NYU kind or cheap in state programs in your plans.

Does anyone know how many candidates are chosen for the Cincinnati program and what types of students they have accepted in the past?

We are still waiting for TCNJ

The point made about receiving need based financial assistance is true, however the income threshold for Pell grants is quite low (family AGI between ~ $20K to $50K/year) from my understanding. Again this is only for UG portion. It may be possible, but personally I have not heard of anyone getting a free ride thru med school.

Also another thing for parents to consider who have kids who are pursing BSMD is how many other children they have to put thru college down the road. If you have more than 1 child ANY cost savings would be welcomed.

I may have heard of someone getting full tuition for NYU med school, but that was few years prior to their latest free for all announcement. Ever since and going forward the competition for that program must have touched the stratosphere. And also who knows what all are the criteria for their selection? Guessing socio economic, first generation college graduates, likelihood of going into primary care, hailing from or will be going to underserved areas (if one can convince them of some of these, that is)