***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@mi2019

I checked with child who is in a BA/MD program. Have been told that yes, the students in the program were informed of the MD/PhD option and the free tuition that comes with that. But it looks like no one in their batch signed up for that option. Also both the university and the med school are research power houses. So need not be that such option mat be available at every BS/MD program. I don’t know.

Also it seems they were presented with the option to sign up for Army.

This^. Its really nauseating how these programs are pushed by parents and cheerleaders on confused and unwilling teens. This “you must settle for any BS-MD you can get in” or “must go to the cheapest undergrad possible for pre-Med“ mindset is really toxic.

@Riversider

As parents, we tend to over-helping our kids to get better education :slight_smile:

The BS/MD programs are may work for some but may not work out for others, For us, there are many factors in choosing schools and have not committed to with either BS/MD or Traditional path yet.

Thank you all for providing great info and good luck to those apply for BS/MS this cycle.

Thanks.

@Zephyr212

I would advise against Cornell pre med without hesitation. If one got into Cornell, chances are he/she also might have great competing pre med and/or BS/MD options. Assuming one doesn’t get any kind of price breaks for BS/MD and if cost is a concern, choose the best non Cornell pre med option, probably with good price breaks too.

If price is not a concern, and you are concerned about brand name (I know some here are) then go with BU kind of program (you also get the bonus of saving a year).

@PAdude

Another point to add to my earlier comments, at the cost of repeating myself and others, apart from the advantage of avoiding the uncertainty and the gap years the BS/MD programs offer, another I see is the relatively stress free undergrad years and the options to explore anything the students want out of their own will and not to impress some admissions committee 4 years down the line. That should leave them at a good pedestal when they start the med school.

Lately lot of students going through the grind for 4 years or more just to be able to enter the med school, find themselves repeating yet another grind all over at may be even more intensive level for the next phase. So the worn down or burnt out factor is something that has to be reckoned with. Perhaps that is also one of the contributors for the gap years.

Is there direct BS/MD+PhD program? If not, what if direct BS/MD student wants to pursue MD+PhD after joining the direct BS/MD prgoram?

My general observation from last few years. 1st generation immigrant parents (particularly ORMs, including myself) who have only seen medical program right after high school senior year in native country are obsessed with direct BS/MD programs. US itself may not see that as only viable option as evident only 5% of MDs are from BS/MD route, rest 95% are traditional path.

@mi2019 See the post #23 in this thread. Related to MD/Ph.D

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22517668#Comment_22517668

@PPofEngrDr It is possible. After UG, in some form or other need to go thru the app process when entering MD. That time indicating MD/Ph.D and follow whatever the process for that. Few colleges where there is no need to apply AMCAS, better to get it clarified upfront now if some one is so keen about MD/Ph.D

@GoldenRock but if you are a BS/MD student, most programs requires to forfeit the MD seat even to apply out to other SOM. Wonder those BS/MD programs are liberal enough to allow that switch within their own SOM w/o forfeiting MD seat or w/o setting bar as high as traditional MD/PhD applicant.

@PPofEngrDr , myself also ORM parent. Yes, it is not easy to understand the game rules without studying past statistics to become a player.

5% of BSMD seats with 500-1000 applicants. 95% of traditional path with qualifying UG 50,000+ . Top MD schools barely had 100 seats . So chance of getting into top schools are not going to get higher :slight_smile:

Most matriculated med students average GPA is 3.8+ … Just keeping this one requirement would kill numerous students.

I happened to see this PharmD/MD option. Just wonder if any insights .

Say if cost 100k and 6 years to get a PharmD ( Merit scholarship ) . Extra 2 years of study ( or gap years ) , but with a foreseeable career path.

https://pharmacy.rutgers.edu/programs/professional-degree-program-doctor-of-pharmacy-pharmd/dual-degree-options-for-pharmd-students/

@orm2020

technically any high school senior can apply, not just 500-1000, just like any UG student can apply to SOM with prerequisites.
On one hand healthcare predicts short fall for healthcare professionals, on the other hand education system doesn’t have ample seats to produce the professional demand, hence demand for education seats goes high and thus criteria, that is the only game. :smiley:

@PPofEngrDr I subscribed to AMCAS data and compared admission statistics of top med schools. So appx 10,000 applicants to 100 seats is the common ratio. Out state med schools is also 1% acceptance, same as top ones. I see BSMD as a first chance to enter the game, then one can improve for the winning chance for second round if still have energy and money to play :slight_smile:

@orm2020

not necessarily is the best chance.

disagree on that improvement, as it implies somehow traditional path students are 2nd class Drs. Also due to various socioeconomic, states they are living etc. factors, all right opportunities are not available to all high school students, simply can’t diminish students potential and they thrive even in traditional route.

are those 1% BS/MD statistics or traditional route?

@PPofEngrDr , 1-2% rate for traditional route across the board .

Say UAB has 4024 oos, only 25 matriculated (0.6%) . U Conn 2357 oos, only 28 matriculated. Rutgers NJMS 3207 oos, 33 matriculated. These are all public meds.

Boston U 7686 oos, 123 matriculated ; 799 in-state, 31 matriculated.
Baylor 5573 oos, 31 matriculated.

The game grow big, while rules remain same. Data are taken from offical AMCAS as reference :slight_smile:

@orm2020

Your calculated estimate for private BS/MD is certainly over stated by at least 100k (over 7-8 years)

Rutgers has a good pharmacy program, it is 6 years in duration I think. The fee for OOS students at Rutgers is higher. The web site does not provide any statistics to quantify the chances of getting into MD through this program. So without additional information it should be treated like an EAP program. You apply and compete with fellow students of the program who are interested likewise. Try to get any further details if possible. And I don’t believe they cut you any slack since you have PharmD with two additional years of study. The MD is still going to be 4 years in duration. However the PharmD degree in itself can set you on a good professional path with or without MD. So not a bad option provided the student is interested (will be a lot of exposure to chemistry)

@orm2020 so you suggesting traditional route 40-42% matriculation is incorrect?
You must be talking something else, check A-1 at https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/students-residents/interactive-data/2019-facts-applicants-and-matriculants-data

Haven’t delved on the details, but quickly looked up Texas A&M with 5100 applicants and 120 matriculants. That puts it at 2.4% matriculation rate. They didn’t mention the acceptance rate though, i.e. how many were offered admission. This rate is usually twice or thrice the matriculation rate.

Texas Tech which follows it in the grid had roughly similar numbers, so even if it is twice, it should be ~5% matriculation rate?

Also same set of students applying to multiple med schools, but will end up joining only one. So not sure how well these stats interpret it the reality.

that is the case trying to point out, matriculation is actual enrollment, not acceptance rate nor yield rate that we know of at this stage of college application. Total applicants 53371, total applications 896819 (average 17 applications per applicant), total matriculants 21869, so success rate is ~41%, not 1-2% being portrayed.