***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@PPofEngrDr : I just paid $20 subscription for detailed data by medical school :slight_smile:

I can review all med schools GPA , applicants # , interviewed, and matriculated . It is a great tool to compare them in an excel format. That is what the official numbers I quoted from 

Baylor 3.93 GPA average acceptance, NU 3.91 , Rutgers NJM 3.79 .
Baylor / BU MCAT 518 , NU 520, NJM 514.

Any med school on list is 1-2% for TRADITIONAL . OOS is less than 1% . I am not even looking at Harvard, Stanford, NYU 

@orm2020 not questioning your subscription, I think you are misinterpreting numbers, check out my response in #1664.

Yeah, but those total applicants number doesn’t account for

• those who took MCAT and yet chose not to apply
  • those who need to do master’s or some additional course work before they can even start the application (gpa concerns)
  • those who need to take a break to strengthen their ECs
  • those actively being convinced by their undergrad institutions to take a gap year before starting the process
  • those who were unsuccessful in getting committee letters from the undergrad institutions
  • those who are simply overwhelmed and exhausted and need a break

why someone would bother to apply if they are not competitive to begin with? By that calculation we should include all engineers, lawyers and other professionals who decided not to become MD. But that is not how it works, it goes by applicants.
If we count total high school population for college application statistics, not just who applied to college, certain that it would portrait different picture.

I am talking only about serious pre-med students who continued the track through all 4 years and hesitant to go ahead with applying for a variety of reasons. I suspect it will be twice the number of med school applicants in any given year. Just looking at the total applicants in a year alone is away from ground reality. Also that number includes the applicant and matriculant information for Osteopathy schools as well.

If we include others who started as premeds but changed their interests either on their own or bad grades right after the freshmen and sophomore years, the numbers will be far bigger and become irrelevant.

We can’t skewed the statistics to justify the position. It is like to say, worked hard during highschool but only get 22 ACT and so didn’t apply to college but still count me in statistics . Everyone is serious at beginning of highschool, same for traditional. Again statistics is for who applied, not for who didn’t apply for any reasons.
Anyhow, have to leave for next Q drop off
 Catch y’all later.

@rk2017 : Thanks for comment on pharmacy /MD. My other thought is the curriculum and career seems to be less stressful. NPV of pharmacy is relatively high compared with Biology.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/01/the-10-colleges-that-pay-off-the-most-after-40-years.html

Sure, sounds good. But don’t go in with the assumption that you will be given full ride or full tuition by Rutgers or any state school for all 6 years of pharmacy. Especially if you are from OOS.

Child did not have a full ride at our in state school for college of arts and science, not even full tuition even though got into top choice BS/MD. Some of child’s friends with even better credentials did not either. They waived a big chunk of instate tuition, but with the balance and room and board all combined, it was not that great. Don’t know how good were the awards to oos students with similar credentials.

@PPofEngrDr I prefer look at the picture down to individual med school that match my expectation, and that is why I paid for the data. I can tell only 5-10% of applicants were interviewed, and then flip the coin 1-2 time again. For NJMS, I think the BSMD matriculants already included in the 180.

Anyway, first thing is to get that 3.9 GPA no matter where one go for his UG :slight_smile:

And I appreciate @rk2017 mentioned some pre-med schools are cutthroat. Just one “C” is enough ruin the dream.

@rk2017 : Thanks , I am within 10 miles to Rutgers :slight_smile: So there is a chance to commute if merit does not cover room and board. And I am a bit optimistic as NJIT give full ride on tuition + room , only need to pay the meal plans

Anyway, hoping TCNJ interview work out fine and moving onto next step in short time. Received a brochure today, and only see 5 oos in past 3 years.

Say 1 from NY, 1 from CA every year. So that is the chance for oos students.

@orm2020

Best wishes for TCNJ/NJIT and NJMS. Despite what some feel about it’s location, and some others citing some rankings site, NJMS is a very good med school.

Haven’t known that the oos intake for TCNJ being that low till now, thought it was much higher.

@rk2017 The oos number maybe low if students accepted other offers . NJMS location is not the best after all :wink: I am grateful that NJMS offers a relatively large number of seats. In state competition is easier than nationwide across 50 states 

All I need is one bird in my hand :slight_smile: Thanks for helping again.

@PPofEngrDr @orm2020 @rk2017

Matriculation data: Both 2.4% and 41% are correct.

21869 matriculants out of 896,819 applications gives you a ratio of 2.4%
21869 matriculants out of 53,371 candidates gives you a ratio of 41%

Most colleges give you their ratio based on applications - so 2.4% is a very real number that applies to a specific college.

This statistic shows -

If you are one of the applicants at a medical school, you are still looking at 2.4% acceptance probability but if you apply broadly you have a 41% chance to get admission to one of the medical colleges (not necessarily to your top choices).

@PPofEngrDr

RE: MD/PhD and BS/MD

MD/PhD is an option during the MD phase of the program.
How you matriculate into the MD program has NO bearing on doing MD/PhD.

For Northwestern specifically, you need to give MCAT if you plan to do MD/PhD and that program is open to all HPME students. (MCAT is not required if you do NOT plan to do PhD). Most HPME students doing undergrad research are recommended to do MD/PhD (though very few do it) and there is strong support with NU for the same.

@NoviceDad

Thanks for the clarification, as I said, did not delve into details. But noticed the data includes Osteopathic programs as well.

@Riversider

Every family needs to evaluate the student goals in the context of their unique situation.

Folks on this forum are sharing their perspectives based on their past experiences.

Many of us have seen enough “accidents” via the traditional route that we recommend BS/MD as a way to de-risk the admissions process.

That de-risking comes at a cost - practically no or limited financial aid and potentially with an undergrad that may not be the first choice for many - but with many benefits - guaranteed admission, no gap years, acceleration (with some programs), flexibility during undergrad and so on.

Many of us are fully aware - medicine requires an investment of 11+ years (after high school) before you earn as a physician and with changes in Medicare and insurance restrictions, the earnings growth is far lower than before.

So, every family needs to weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best in their context.

@PAdude

Medical school vs residency

I tend to believe your residency decides your path / trajectory (more than the medical school).
Being part of “good” medical school can provide you with resources and a good peer group to excel but if your Step 1 and 2 scores are not competitive, no amount of “great” medical school will help you. Let alone propel you to leadership positions.

Happy to learn more / different nuances.

@NoviceDad

Incorrect, one ratio (2.4%) is Matriculants/Application vs another (41%) is true matriculants. Even to say 2.4% matriculants/application, sounds odd and meaningless. It only makes sense if you multiply it by 17 (number of applications per applicant) and now you will get 41%.

That is incorrect as Matriculants rate = Acceptance rate * Yield rate.
2.4% has different unit, matriculants/application.
So let say School A (UG or SOM) has acceptance rate 50% and Yield rate 2%, its matriculants rate is only 1%.
School B (UG or SOM) has acceptance rate 10% and Yield rate 90%, its matriculants rate is 9%.
School C (UG or SOM) has acceptance rate 2% and Yield rate 50%, its matriculants rate is only 1%.
If you compare them, School B (higher matriculants rate) is preferred over School A (lower matriculants rate). That means lower matriculants rate doesn’t necessarily mean better or difficult to get in school (UG or SOM). For SOM perspective, matriculants rate alone doesn’t signify difficulty of SOM admission (School A and C has same matriculants rate, but it is obvious School C is difficult to get in).

Most of the T20 medical tend to prefer there own students and other top schools ones in their ranked speciality residency programs.

Exception are always there.

Unless you are going into some innovative cutting edge speciality or want to academic medicine with research , it does not matter where you do residency from.

Re: Matriculation and Residencies

As I may have shared multiple times in the past, during high school college visit at JHU, overhead the admissions director there answering someone ahead of us about the number of matriculants to their med school from their own undergrad population. It was apparently 22 or 23. So for a class size of ~150 (don’t know exact number), that is about 15% and perhaps the biggest segment of that incoming class. But still a small fraction of overall. They are likely to take someone(s) from outside who outshine their own students, especially in ECs.

Also the 40 whatever matriculation rate in traditional route being quoted repeatedly above sounds fishy and too rosy (hopefully no thorns). I wish med school admissions were that easy, but know for a fact they are not. Many top students we knew till high school struggled or struggling and even quit. Don’t assume anything, do your own study and proper analysis, to factor into your decision making in the coming months.

Regarding residencies I personally know students who went to state med schools and went to residencies in UPenn, H and Y.