***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@BAMDHopeful @gradedu
which SUNY upstate feeder interviews are out besides SUNY Albany and Albany Polytechnic?

@NoviceDad , thank you so much!

No news yet

@srk2017 : For future applicants, if one does not start with the near PERFECT stats, and EC ingredients to follow the recipe. The chance of a perfect dish is slim.

Even for many of us have the right ingredients to start with, a bit more or less of salt and pepper, cooking time ( luck ) may distinguish success and failure.

So BSMD is not a easy path for high school students :slight_smile:

At the same time, I cannot stop thinking that the same batch of students receiving interviews from NJIT and TCNJ. So the overlapping rate can be high , not necessarily for NJMS, but in general.

@orm2020

Really? Is the first filter SAT scores? Do you think that if someone is ORM and have SAT score of 1540 and a GPA of 3.97 (1 A-), but outstanding ECs with international awards in community service and science fairs, still it is only a faint chance? I just want to get your opinions in general, not for this specific case. I used to think that they will perform a holistic review. But now I am not so sure anymore. Looks like SAT score is the first filterā€¦

@orm2020 We were told that there is no minimum required for MCAT to matriculate to NJMS. However, you are expected to score some decent number like 80 percentile (guessing)ā€¦ As per dean, he dont remember students rejected because of MCATā€¦

@mygrad2021 Dont worry about OOS or instateā€¦ go with positive frame of mind and give it allā€¦ you will get itā€¦

@rithu123 havenā€™t heard from any of those yet.

@rithu123 2 years back we heard from UMKC on 1/26 for interview on 2/26 as regional applicant. So end of Jan is a reasonable wait for UMKC for interview invitation.

@orm2020 you dont need to have perfect stats or near perfect statsā€¦ NJIT has many premeds with much better SAT than my daughterā€¦ @srk2017 is correct. They see overall packageā€¦ with decent SAT/ACT you are still in the gameā€¦

@BSMD2020Tired My daughter got only 1540 but with perfect GPA and still got NJMS and many interviews including HPMEā€¦ 1540 and 3.97 is good and you are very much in the gameā€¦

@bsmd2020tired : I am not sure if your international awards are medically related to help you stand out. Besides SAT 1 scores , other factors considered includes SAT 2 subject /AP credits/ honors curriculum . DS is national AP scholar taking 14 AP courses in school. However, handful of ORMs in my district have similar statsā€¦

I think all applications would be reviewed carefully, but only a small percentage (10-25%) ends up in interview.
Everyone has a equal chance though it is slim. Dont give up hope without finishing the race .

But the assumption that everyone will get a piece of pie probably would not happen.

Just to add to post #1874 from Mahikesh, what you know is just one side of coin, your stats and ECs, you donā€™t know the other side of coin, what colleges are looking for. Sometimes colleges changes target schools, for e.g. during my S application cycle UMich offered ~10 acceptances from his high school, prior 5 years combined 0. Even if students accepted to a program from previous years, similar stats from same high school is not a guarantee rather a mere confidence booster.

Curious if there is a longitudinal study of BS/MD doctors vs traditional MDs 10 years after graduation

Parents and students anxious about BU interview calls:

Hope to be proved wrong but it appears BU and Penn/Jeff are getting more selective wrt both interview calls and acceptances.

The reason could be over subscription to their programs in 2018 (>80% of those acepted choosing to enroll). Donā€™t know details for last year but there were at least 4 students from this forum itself who enrolled in BU, so guess same may have been the issue last year too.

Perhaps thatā€™s the reason both the programs being so frugal this year. So donā€™t be upset no matter what the final outcomes may or may not be.

On a tangential note, will take the liberty to draw your attention here to a student in last yearā€™s cycle. After waiting till early February with no interview call, he/she had the admissions office move the application to traditional route consideration from BS/MD and was eventually chosen for the Presidential scholarship thanks to all his/her outstanding credentials including research (around 25k/year of undergrad I guess). He/she could have also finished the undergrad there in 3 years if wanted to with all the AP credits. Or perhaps a double major in 4 years. After much deliberation till the last day, decided to go to another school for traditional route solely for the weather reason.

So if you visited BU and really like it over there, something you may want to consider and may even get good price breaks for (something you can boast of also in your med school applications). Apart from the weather which may be issue for some for health reasons, the school and city are amazing with plenty of pre med EC opportunities all around. Though it is considered a tough school students like those on here should not have trouble maintaining > 3.8 GPA with a little discipline.

Thank you @Mahikesh!

If cost not an issue, and more importantly if one can get in, Brown PLME is a fantastic program. Match lists is just one of the angles to look at, but doesnā€™t convey the complete picture. Brown has a propensity to encourage primary care, so most of the students there may tend to take up that route of residency. But they also get into top programs within primary care and most of them may follow up with highly sought after fellowships in Hematology/Oncology, Cardiology, Infections diseases, Gastro, Ophthalmology etc.

In last yearā€™s thread there was a student who chose to go there in preference over NU HPME.

@Mahikesh

Thank you for the encouragement!

@brainbuilder02

You may want to review this study on Jefferson BS/MD vs traditional medicine graduates:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1418264

It is little dated study - I believe done in the 90s.
Here is the abstract:

Abstract

Since the 1960s a number of physicians have completed both their baccalaureate and their M.D. degrees in six or fewer years. In this longitudinal study the authors track the academic performances, clinical ratings, and career follow-up data of 659 students in one of these accelerated programs, the Jefferson Medical College-Pennsylvania State University B.S.-M.D. program, from entering years 1964 through 1989. The medical school performances, clinical performances in residencies, and rates of board certification and faculty appointment of the accelerated students compared favorably with those of a control group of medical students with similar high school credentials who had followed a four-year baccalaureate program. The authors conclude that a carefully chosen group of students can achieve high academic standards in an accelerated medical school program, graduate as younger physicians able to perform well in postgraduate training, and go on to highly productive careers in medicine.

Who had the Adelphi -SUNY Upstate interview?

@NoviceDad

Till the other proposed thread of debating over which path is started, allow me to use this. One of the major benefits of the direct path IMO is the lifting of the weight off the studentsā€™ shoulders for 4 years. Allowing them to do what they really interested in and with wide ranging academic options, especially liberal arts and humanities, will allow them to grow as better beings in a relatively relaxed setting. And when the crunch time comes with the start of medical school they arenā€™t likely to suffer any burns or wear downs. This is probably the main driver of why and what of ā€œcompared favorablyā€ in that study.

Also Penn/Jeff give a free hand to students in many ways, their MCAT requirement in low 60th percentile is one of the lowest in this domain (though I guess many may be scoring in the 90th easily) and shows the confidence they have on their students.