***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@imsa2020 Congratulations on an interview with BU. Can you also let us know your subject SAT scores, please? Medical experience info with help too.

@mygrad2021

NJIT/TCNJ/Rugters to NJMS:
There are two sets of interviews - one with undergrad and another with NJMS.

You take all the undergrad interviews that come your way.

Reason being - not all 100% of the undergrad interview candidate applications are sent to NJMS.

Thanks for that @NoviceDad ! I would like to know if multiple colleges forward your application to NJMS how do they select through which college they should interview you or they do multiple times through each college that forwarded your application to NJMS?

Is TCNJ offering phone interview or F2F. Is there an advantage for F2F?

@mygrad2021 : NJMS receives a list of all institutions that have forwarded your application. You may get admits through all feeder schools but only 1 NJMS interview irrespective. If you get the nod from NJMS, the choice is yours for undergrad

@brainbuilder02 : TCNJ has the longest on-site interview in its Biology building with professors. Interview between candidates assigned a 90 mins slot.

NJIT assigns 45 minutes slot.

@mygrad2021 : NJIT interview 100 students, NJMS consider 50 for interviews end of Jan- Mar , then accept 23 last year. TCNJ also interview 100 students, around 70 received NJMS interviews, flip the coin one more time and half students accepted. Also a few slots here and there for each feeder school. Writing the supplements is time consuming, son spent 2 weeks focused on TCNJ and I am glad he received an interview.

As long as one " sail " to NJMS, then you get to choose all UG that you submitted applications through. TCNJ, NJIT are the biggest feeders among all, and more affordable than Drew and Stevens. Each of them receive 400 applications yearly.

So 23 out of 400 for NJIT, 35-40 out of 400 for TCNJ are the biggest shots per past figures.

In state and out state chances differ though… Need to standout among 50 states would not quite equal to in-state , my 2 cents.

Thank you @brainbuilder02 and @orm2020 for the detailed explanation. Any idea about oos chances and the number?

@orm2020 : Thanks for the response! I have a phone interview as per their email.

@mygrad2021 : TCNJ ended up with 2 oos students each year, NIT 3 oos this year. I see one from NY, another from CA :slight_smile: The thuoght of being the top 1-2 applicants among New Yorker , just one name “Stuyvesant” is spooky.

On the other hand, if NJ students go out state to NY , PA , it would be similar situations. So it is quite fair, isnt it ?

Thank you @orm2020 ! Any idea about oos for SUNY feeder schools and also Stonybrook?
Which schools do not give any preference to oos or in-state for bs/md programs?

All - anyone else did phone interview with TCNJ?

If one read @mi2019 #944 , adds up all BSMD divided by 50 states, each state barely got 3 seats :slight_smile: Private med school likely less preference to in-state, but it did not help much probabilities wise. It would be 1000-2000 applicants for whatever seats available.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2143599-official-thread-for-2020-bsmd-applicants-p48.html

Everyone going or been through this scrutinized process would comprehend well , or else it is only a meaningless number.

Say I add U. Conn to my app list, Just because I read @Cherax http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2126726-bs-md-results-class-of-2019-p1.html

Nobody could predict the end results, but all I need is ONE seat :slight_smile:

@cherax is applying to all , with his PERFECT scores he has to embrace numerous rejections before landing safely.

So we are all in the “REJECTED PRE-INTERVIEW” process now, but some are more sensitive to the needles , while other may feel nothing .

@Mahikesh : Do you happen to know what MCAT score required to matriculate this or past years ?

Don’t try to compare stats with those who got interviews. Most ORMs who apply have perfect or near perfect stats. It comes downs to medicine related ECs, essays, research and state they belong to.

Has anyone received VCU interview invitation yet? Please let us know. Thanks!

@mygrad2021

It appears folks have answered your question.
One NJMS interview and you decide which undergrad once accepted.

@NoviceDad just a follow up question: can you choose to attend the undergraduate programs even though they did not forward you to NJMS?
Would SUNY Upstate handle It the same way as NJMS if multiple schools forward your file to them? Upstate does specify the undergraduate school you are interview for: can you change the undergraduate schools later? Anyone knows the answer?

1 Like

Has anyone received interviews for BS/MD programs for UMKC, George washington, case western or Washu? When are they usually sent?