***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Thanks @GreenPoison

Hi All,
My son is looking at BS/MD and then some BS pre-med programs. I am posting his profile to get a view from you folks. Also have some worries which I hope I might get some input on.

GPA: UW 3.95, W 4.3
Class rank: 45/395
[Goes to a competitive county STEM school. The flip side I think is showing as the course rigor and competition there has impacted his ranking as opposed to what it could have been just at base high school]

SAT: 1530 (740 CR) (760 M)
ACT: 33

SAT Subject Tests:
730 Math 2
720 Chemistry

APs:
AP History - 5
AP Calculus AB - 5
AP Chemistry - 4
AP Lang - 5
AP World History - 5

Senior Year: AP Bio, AP Psychology, AP Literature, AP US/Comp Gov, AP Calculus BC

State: VA
Ethnicity: Indian

ECs:
DECA: 10,11,12
-Treasurer
-VP of Chapter Events
Student Government: 9,10,11,12
-Class Representative
Varsity Tennis: 11th Grade
Model UN: 9,11,12
-Vice President
-Outreach Officer
Science National Honors Society: Inductee

Research:
- Independent Research At STEM school: Investigating detection mechanisms for kidney cancer
Volunteer:
- Volunteer Rescue Squad: Since June 2016 (~250 hrs)
- Volunteering at Genetic Medicine lab at Children’s National Hospital (~150 hours). Summer of 2017
- Volunteered/Shadowing at Walter Reed Medical Center (75-80 hours). Summer of 2016.

Concerns of ours:

• Class rank. We met Penn State and Rochester at a college fair and the counsellors indicated top 1-3% for class rank. Is this a deal breaker? Everywhere?
  • Subject SAT/ACT scores. Could have been better. Worth retaking?

College list:
[BS/MD]
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- George Washington
- University of Pittsburgh
- Boston University
- Drexel University College of Medicine - no longer a guaranteed program. It is an “assured” program now.
- Thomas Jefferson University: Medical Penn State: B.S.
- Albany Medical College / RPI
- Case Western University

[Pre Med]
- College of William and Mary
- UVA
- Virginia Tech
- George Mason University

[Reach]
- Johns Hopkins
- Columbia

What are the odds? We want him to stay on East Coast due to health issues.
Your inputs are highly appreciated! Much thanks in advance!

Hi,
I was reading through this thread and saw that a lot of applicants have near perfect test SAT or ACT test scores and a HUGE list of amazing extracurriculars. I was just wondering what kind of scores/stats count as “competitive” or good enough to apply to these programs?

@Deepster5150

"Concerns of ours:

• Class rank. We met Penn State and Rochester at a college fair and the counsellors indicated top 1-3% for class rank. Is this a deal breaker? Everywhere?
  • Subject SAT/ACT scores. Could have been better. Worth retaking?"

Your concerns point out the cruel facts of BSMD competitions.

Class rank may not be the fatal issue, as long as, your son’s test scores and GPAs are better than other HS competitors’ scores and GPAs.

There is NO rules you can follow in applying BSMD programs, I suggest you spend time in studying “*** BS/MD Results For Class of 2017 ***” (and 2016 cases as well)
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1973823-bs-md-results-for-class-of-2017-p2.html
You may find similar cases and ADD similar BSMD programs to your son’s BSMD list)
(check @misophoniax case out)

Retake tests? (IMO, it is late), please spend time creating excellent essays and short questions.

Good luck.

@ang0318 It is hard to state any number. If for 10 seats, if you get 100 applicants with SAT 35-36 or SAT 1540-1600, then what will you do? At the same time, it is not that students with low scores like ACT 31-32 or SAT 1450 are not selected. But invariably those students would have done some extra ordinary in some thing else, like creative program and helped some group who badly need help/support for a very long time or it could be some outstanding event like representing US in some science or math or robotics competition etc.,

Safe to say try to have at least 33-36 for ACT and 1500 for SAT. But it is not just scores or GPA alone counts and being quantifiable every one focus is on GPA or test scores. But the selection considers many other equally or more important factors like demonstration of passion toward medicine, essays/prompts, LORs, other leadership or unique skills and accomplishments etc.,

does anyone know if having a sat chem of 670 will basically guarantee that I won’t get an invitation to apply for HPME. I know that nothing is guaranteed in college apps, but how big of a factor is this really?

I have a similar issue as medskooloneday. I have a 730 in Bio and 690 in Lit (I will be retaking Lit).

@medskooloneday I’m not exactly sure I can answer that particular question but I applied with a 750 chem SAT score. Maybe this is just me but for the request form their standards seem a bit more lax than I expected because though they have not given me the application yet, they responded acknowledging that they received it and asked that I send my transcript (I had an issue with the ranking displayed on it — it shows I was not even top quartile but instead of flat-out rejection, they asked that I send it to them). A score of 670 does seem low but I don’t think they would disqualify you solely based on that score.

@medskooloneday

“does anyone know if having a sat chem of 670 will basically guarantee that I won’t get an invitation to apply for HPME. I know that nothing is guaranteed in college apps, but how big of a factor is this really?”

There is no rules in applying BSMD programs but you always can do some homework to figure out what NU HPME was/is looking for

*** BS/MD Results For Class of 2017 ***
@GoldenRock: Chemistry: 770
@kmn231: Chemistry: 800
@rc2017: Chemistry: 800

*** BS/MD Results For Class of 2016 ***
@texaspg: Chemistry: 770
@tenderp: Chemistry: 790
@Roentgen: Chemistry: 730

I was wondering how much time Northwestern takes to send the applications for HPME? My D applied a week ago, but have not received any response.

Looks like they send on a Friday, she got it today. Last Friday another applicant received it.

1 Like

@techhv i was under the impression that we would only get our applications on Oct 1st, but they sent me mine on wednesda, which was strange

Other than the regular Common Application stuff, what else do I need to apply to Brown BS/MD, and where would I find it? Please help.

@medskooloneday, no , I have heard couple of more kids getting the application, so they are processing as they receive I guess

Someone please answer my above question? Where would I find the extra application stuff?

@thetex,
Did you check the Common app for Brown.

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/plme/information-prospective-students/admission

Additionally, applicants must complete the Brown Supplement, which is available along with the Common Application forms from the Common Application website. The Brown Supplement includes TWO (2) required essays for PLME applicants.

Does anyone know typical profiles/credentials of Rice-Baylor selected candidates? Also, I am not seeing much discussion around St. Lous University (SLU). Any thoughts?

@RedMan108 SLU is not (at least in my definition) a guaranteed BS/MD program and hence not much traction in the last few years and once when I talked to a girl and her parents did not get positive feedback for the UG program.

Rice/Baylor not much traction again because that is the last one to have the interview and selection, way to the April 25th and May 1st deadline to accept. You can review the results profiles of past few years and see if any one who got in R/B have stats. There were if I remember correctly.

Are the interviews required? How do I schedule one?

@GoldenRock Thanks. I think SLU requires maintaining GPA and MCAT but it’s more of a formality as the threshold and GPA requirements are pretty low (compared to, for instance, GPA requirements from WASU). I could not find any Rice/Baylor profiles but will keep looking

@thetex - Pretty mucal all programs require interviews after the general application process. Colleges will send the interview invites if one is shortlisted. Please see the past few years results to see the % of applicants applied vs interviewed vs offered.