***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@rk2017 - how do I send private messages? I can’t seem to find a way to send a message after I click the user name

@MetsFan09 did u hear back from Hofstra?

@ATX1826 After you click the user handle to whom you want to send a msg, you will be taken to the screen of that user profile. In that screen normally you will see 2 red buttons ‘Message’ and ‘Profile’ under that name. Click the message button and you can enter your msg and send.

@sophie10000 Not yet. That’s April 1st. Im not expecting to get in, as they usually accept people with Siemens/other research awards.

@bsmdhopefully Congratulations…that is impressive.

We had heard many great things about PSU’s PMM 7 year program…my DC had spoken to a current student and so PMM was a top pick…no interview invite for…fyi …while researching programs last summer this is what we heard about PMM: collaborative, no pressure once in, opportunity to live on another campus after UG (so not on same campus for 7-8 years), 7 year option is no additional stress and that University Park delivers a great UG experience.

@Metsfan7860 does not sound like your bsmd journey is done…hope you hear some good news soon. I would hang in there for 2 more weeks till all your decisions come in. Your stats and ECs were unique/impressive so hang in there. Wishing you the best.

Hello Experienced Members, I understand that one has to choose a major to apply for a regular UG. Since BSMD admission process involves acceptance into BS first, followed by MD, are students expected to choose/list a major for BSMD application as well, or do they follow a college-specific BSMD path and just respond to BSMD specific prompts like why doctor etc? Thanks!

@Shine27 I really hope so. It’s best for me not to keep my hopes up though, as that just leads to more disappointment. Thank you, and good luck to your son as well.

@bsmdhopefully and @Shine27

All good stuff about PSU quite valid, it’s a great research place too. But couple of things that occur to me, you will be spending far away from the medical campus, unlike most of these other places which are commutable from their primary school for first 3 years, so if you were to take up any medical research during undergrad years, not sure how optimal the arrangements would be.

Heard that Jefferson campus has a huge incoming class every year, so the student to faculty ratio may be a troublesome issue relative to other programs. Also Penn State has a party school reputation, may or may not be issue depending on the individual but mentioning nevertheless. So you may have to factor in such aspects besides the cost.

Does anyone have an idea of how many students are admitted into the 7 year dental program at usciences?

BU, Penn Sate, Baylor would be my top 3. Financial burden, med school location (preferable large metro), UG academic reputation/experience, are criteria in descending order, all med school you listed here will give you EQUAL chance in your next chapter, residence match.

response to @bsmdhopefully

There is a facebook group for accepted “Boston University Seven Year Medical Program (SMED) 2025”
you need type /groups/223168968423577/ after facebook dot com

This group is created by current SMED students to answer questions and new SMED students to connect

Typically the notifications come out on Friday evening, since last 2 years the NU UG came out on Mar 18th, 2016 and last year Mar 17th, and HPME next day on Saturday mornings, since this week is spring break at NU, hence is delayed by a week this year.

Will come out this Friday hopefully, and NU HPME notifications on Saturday morning, they never release in the middle of the week since the admissions office don’t want to receive too many phone calls.

On my earlier note on grade deflation, found this on some one’s recent blog. Most notably missing Cornell and JHU and believe UCB should have been much higher up on the list.

This is not to scare anyone, but to emphasize that people be better aware before deciding on college to pursue a traditional route. If one of these is your desired destination, plan your endeavors accordingly. By the way D attends supposedly the toughest one on the list as an SMED and doing quite well.

https://gradeslam.org/blog/the-top-25-colleges-with-the-hardest-grading

Any insights on the SBU/GW program?

I think Siena/AMC class of 2022/2026 Facebook group link got deleted from here, but it is searchable on Facebook.

is PLME similar to HPME, where you get undergrad result, then within 48 hours the bsmd result? or is it all at once?

@BurntKnight They are released together. I posted this earlier, but I’ll repost.

Here is what an acceptance letter to both Brown and PLME looks like:
https://www.solomonadmissions.com/acceptance-letters?lightbox=dataItem-j627sutq

Here is what an acceptance letter to Brown but a rejection from PLME looks like:
https://www.solomonadmissions.com/acceptance-letters?lightbox=dataItem-j6qn3rnu

HPME results come out next day after NW UG notifications released