Ohio State Class of 2025 Official Thread

I called the scholarhsips office at OSU. My son is in the same position. We are OOS and he was just notified about being accepted to honors. I was told that Honors doesn’t guarantee a merit scholarship. Was also told to check the regular mail for a notification which should come first. Then you would be able to see it on the Buckeye link under the view financial aid tab and there should be an aid summary.

1 Like

ok, thank you so much! Hoping for some merit scholarship notification to come soon then!

1 Like

Same here!

Also looking for advice. Has anyone submitted 1st semester grades after already being admitted to OSU? My thought is that this might help with scholarships.

We have the same issue! Son (out of state) accepted to the Ohio Fisher school of business a while back, waiting on merit. My son just got his grades and got almost all straight A-pluses including in three AP classes, his best report card ever- should he send these grades over now with the hope of a different merit package, or should he wait until we have more information back about some pending school decisions, which may be helpful in a merit appeal? He got into SUNY Buffalo school of management, but we’re waiting to see if he got into the honors program and if he does that would be more powerful, we’re also waiting on Binghamton school of management, more prestigious than Buffalo so that would be helpful in an appeal as well. Thoughts? I guess we could send over the grades now and say we hope they will consider for merit, and then when he gets the decision we can still appeal? Thank you!

@Daisylili Sounds like your son is similar to mine who is a current junior in SOM. We sent mid-year grades when he applied, and while he had an impressive transcript and ACT, he never received the Buckeye, so I’m not sure if it would help, but it certainly couldn’t hurt to send mid-year grades. My son didn’t expect to get into SOM because it was so competitive, but when he did, and we confirmed he was not getting merit from OSU, it was a no brainer for him. My guess is that merit decisions have been made by now, and now we wait and see how it unfolds. My D21 is anxiously waiting to hear about merit scholarships too.

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts were if the grades painted the same-ish academic picture as his current application, it wouldn’t make sense. But if they show a significant improvement, it couldn’t hurt.

Are all of the honors decisions out? Also will I get an email if I don’t get in?

i assumed that a subset of each went to different scholarships and figured it was ok to repeat some stuff across them. it was impossible to not do that

I agree it can’t hurt. Our HS is going to send mid-year grades.

They are on a rolling basis, you should get an email letting you know either way.

He has definitely done well gradewise, but he really kicked butt this semester, all A pluses (including in 2 APs) The only non-A+ was an A in AP French. He had never done THIS well before, and maybe it’s a sign that he’s going to do well in college. Who knows LOL!!

2 Likes

Same boat. We are also OOS and make a bit too much for aid but we are waiting for some merit $. Fortunately, he has gotten an athletic offer with $. But every penny helps! Nothing yet in the mail. Last name starts with W so…?

Not yet.

Any updates on merit scholarships? Been checking mailbox and nothing. Is Ohio State done issuing them for EA applicants? If you wanted to send first semester grades to help get merit money, how do you do that? Do you email your assigned local Counselor?

What sport did you get $ for athletics? I was told that I wouldn’t know about money until March.

Last year my son was admitted in January and it seems like it was 3 or 4 weeks before we got the merit letter in the mail. At some point it also appears in the financial aid section of the portal, but I can’t remember when that happened.

I don’t want to say yet as he has not ‘signed’ because there are 3 schools offering him $. Naming the sport narrows it down I think. I don’t want to mess things up by saying more than I should. As soon as he signs I will let you know. Two offers came in the past 5 days and one more is due any second. We think OSU will be the choice but we will see what he decides. Once its official, I will be happy to tell you.

4.1 (school only does weighted)/35 ACT - top 10% of class of 350

1 Like

Does Ohio State require a year of fine arts for admission ?

According to the Minimum college prep requirements table, yes 1 unit (year).

I think it’s also our Ohio hs diploma requirement. We can fill ours by participating in choir, band, etc.