On-Campus Summer Housing?

<p>As the S is putting the finishing touches on his first year (my how time flies, eh?) he is considering taking a couple of summer classes which require a stay for both summer terms (don’t get me going on the schedule/offerings… GRRRRR).</p>

<p>Traditionally, which buildings are open and what are the approximate costs?</p>

<p>Any other useful tidbits to consider?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>My DS is also spending summer on campus, although not taking summer school. Students can apply for housing online. Fees are posted on the housing web site. </p>

<p>Sent from my GT-P5113 using CC</p>

<p>What is wrong with the schedule/offerings? What is your son’s major?
I was personally amazed (stunned, even) at how many engineering courses were available. If we had known better and planned this out ahead of time, he would have definitely done summer school this year, and taken an entire semester of Sophomore-level aero courses, because this would have been the only opportunity to do so. After Sophomore year, his courses are taught only certain semesters and in a particular order. Oh well, we get him home instead, where he hopefully will find a job (and get a hair cut).</p>

<p>Well, I realize my issue is rather specific, but here goes:</p>

<p>Son is a Freshman in Mechanical. His course selection has had an emphasis on general requirements and other electives to maximize flexibility while he was still somewhat undecided. He is in MA 125 and CH 102 right now. </p>

<p>So, to stay “on track” so to speak, he really needs to take MA 126 and PH 105 over the summer. Problem is, PH 105 is only offered Summer I, and although MA 126 is offered in both Summer I and Summer II, the only time MA 126 is offered in Summer I is in direct conflict with PH 105. So, in effect, he will have to be on campus for both Summer sessions instead of taking both classes in Summer I (or even more preferably, taking both in Summer II). I am sure it is a coincidence (or at least that is what I am trying to make myself believe) but it just irritates me that the reality is that for those willing to try to “get ahead” it is spread out over the entire summer. </p>

<p>When the S learned of this, it frustrated him as it did me, because he isn’t wild about devoting all but 3 weeks in May to just 2 courses. Like him, I would want to go back and knock both out in Summer II instead of drawing it out all summer.</p>

<p>Getting these classes out of the way this summer would pave the way for taking ECE 320 next summer, as he doesn’t want to fight that beast during the regular school year.</p>

<p>Oh well, always a balancing act between burnout and getting things done in a timely manner…</p>

<p>he might as well go ahead and take an additional class each summer session since he will be there anyway. </p>

<p>does he have some FA or gen ed stuff to take?</p>

<p>Summer school housing will be in Ridgecrest East.</p>

<p>I think it might be worth discussing this scheduling issue with UA. The Math 126 lists an additional time (dissertation?) as 2-4.30 on Thurs. Maybe if you explain this conflict, and discuss with professor concerned, he could miss part of that math time on Thursdays? Or, go to part of one early lecture on Thursdays, and then also attend another section of that same class later in the day to pick up the 2nd half? I know this would not normally be allowed, but it is worth discussing with them before you pay for both sessions.</p>

<p>Both of these classes will be ambitious, challenging ones, to achieve what normally takes an entire semester, in only 4 weeks.</p>

<p>I would not recommend taking two of a STEM class, especially one with a lab, in one summer session. Perhaps your student can get a part time job in a lab, or even volunteer in a lab, if he has free time. </p>

<p>I took org chem during the summer while in college and worked part time on campus. The lab portion was a separate class that I took over another summer so I could work. I had to work during the summer to pay my tuition for the regular school year.</p>

<p>Son took chem and lab for two summer sessions in college a couple of years ago, and it pretty much took the whole day. He was doing homework until time for bed. He had no time for even a part time job with both chem class and lab homework, and the amount of time per day with butt on seat in the classroom.</p>

<p>You should also know dining is limited in the summer. Freshmen are used to the all inclusive plan. In the summer, I think it was Fresh Food for lunch and Lakeside for Dinner Limited hours and nothing open Friday evening thru Sunday evening. The dining halls closed for 4th of July etc.</p>

<p>Why not take those classes at a local CC? Seems like a lot of expense to take those basic classes over the summer at Bama.</p>

<p>Montegut: Thanks, I appreciate the advice. My thoughts were better to take in the summer instead of both during the fall with 3 other classes. I’d think it would be even harder then.</p>

<p>ParkTN: Thanks for the info on dining. You are correct. Fresh Foods can’t be bothered to be open on the weekend of fall move-in when there are 5000 freshman +1-2 parents each, so I don’t know why I would think they would be open over the summer…</p>

<p>Mom2: We’d prefer he took them here at home, problem is that there is not a local CC (or even 4 year) that offers a Physics I or Calc II class that UA will accept. Plus, I have heard elsewhere that this is somewhat intentional as UA has a cohesive track of classes and curriculum they don’t like to deviate from. Could actually be a disservice to take it elsewhere was what I took away from it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, Ya’ll. That is what makes this forum so fantastic and I hope it helps others.</p>

<p>I’m of the opinion that lower division courses can be taken most anywhere. While relatively standardized, even each calculus professor at UA will teach topics slightly differently. Calculus II and Physics I, the latter both with and without calculus, are courses for which UA grants AP credit, so UA does recognize that the courses are relatively standardized among schools.</p>

<p>Looking back, one of my most enjoyable experiences in college was attending a different university for a summer session between my sophomore and junior years at UA. I found a small state flagship which doesn’t charge OOS tuition during the summer and has very low in-state rates and found that I could take 2 needed courses over a 5 week term. My total cost including tuition, books, food, housing, and airfare was around $2100. They appear to offering the courses he needs over the course of 6 weeks, both of which UA accepts for transfer credit, but not everyone enjoys Reno/Tahoe. I’ve even been [mistakenly] told by some staff members at UA that I went to school in a foreign country. :)</p>

<p>Assuming that he stays at UA for the summer, I would look at subleasing an apartment. Towards the end of the semester, many students will be offering great deals to people willing to sublease their apartments for the summer.</p>

<p>As for food options, there are plenty of restaurants on the Strip which are relatively inexpensive.</p>

<p>I am confused about the full summer rates posted on the UA housing web page. It gives rates for 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and single at the Bluffs and Bryce Lawn. When I contacted housing, they tell me summer housing will be at Ridgecrest which has the 4 bedroom suites. Also, I don’t see the dates for the full summer rates. It appears that my student would still need housing between August 5 and his move in day around August 17.</p>

<p>Sent from my GT-P5113 using CC</p>

<p>Last year, if you were in summer housing for second summer session, you were able to move into your regular dorm room during the interim time. Times will be posted for when this occurs. You’ll get checked out of your summer room and checked into your regular room, including your keys. I don’t think there is a charge for this time period. It may be different this year, but I don’t believe we were charged for that time last summer. Son just moved his belongings into his suite, locked the door, and headed home for that time, although he could have stayed in his room during that time. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if you are NMF and choose to stay on campus this summer for either a lab job, taking a class, if you can use that summer stipend that came with the scholarship towards housing and/or tuition?</p>

<p>*there is not a local CC (or even 4 year) that offers a Physics I or Calc II class that UA will accept. *</p>

<p>wow, really?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am really surprised. </p>

<p>My son took a number of courses at a CC prior to UA, and they gave him some type of credit for each one of them. Have you asked them to look at the local offering and see if they would be willing to give the credit, even if it is not currently listed on the transfer credit site thing? It might not be listed because no one else has tried to transfer a class from your local CC yet.</p>

<p>The other option would be taking the math class online instead of onsite.</p>

<p>I haven’t asked for an exception, but I did review the college-specific transfers UA will accept. For example, I went to UA’s page and found the local CC and the closest 4-year schools to us. There is nothing remaining he can take at the CC which is relevant to his engineering degree (or even Gen Ed) that will transfer. At the 4 year, they do offer Calc and Physics, but they transfer into UA as 197 level and do not apply to the UA requirements.</p>

<p>As I look further into this, I do acknowledge that both Physics and Calc II are intensive courses when taken over 1 month instead of 3. I also know UA would prefer they be taken in residence to align best with their overall curriculum, which is understandable.</p>

<p>We were just naturally looking for that ever-elusive win-win where the boy spent as little of his summer (and my money) on campus. Decisions, Decisions… :)</p>

<p>It never ceases me to amaze me how people assume that every community has all the fantastic offerings their own community has. In fact, if we had these wonderful services at home, we might not have to send our children OOS to get a decent education.</p>

<p>And yes, with engineering, early on, you get to the point where you need to take the classes at UA, so just bite the bullet and spend the OOS money. At least you save on groceries for the kid during the summer.</p>

<p>I think the issue may be that it’s summer session and how courses are sequenced. We live two miles from a very large/good community college in northern Illinois. While they have equivalent courses for both of what your son needs according to the transfer table, only one is offered this summer (and not as an online option) - math. The physics for science and engineering offered is III and you need I. Too bad, would have been reasonable tuition for you and we could have an eight week house guest.</p>

<p>Montegut, S stayed at UA last summer working on a research project and opted to use his NMF summer stipend towards housing at Ridgecrest West.</p>