Once Upon a River - June CC Book Club Selection

I just finished “Where the Crawdads Sing.” I don’t recall how long I had to wait for it, but not too long. If the waitlists are the issue, maybe go ahead and designate it for August or October?

Has anyone read “Inheriting Edith?” It popped up as a recommendation when I went to place a hold on “The Weight of Ink.” Sounds interesting.

@HImom does your library have a “hold” feature? Mine lets you place a hold where you keep your place in line until you need the book while letting those behind you jump in front as needed. When you’re ready to read, you just take the hold off. I’ll usually try to take the hold off a couple of days before I want the book.

Hmmm, will see if the have that as an option. Have to return a book today anyway.

I’m currently reading for IRL book clubs:

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver. I just finished it. I like it, just less than I expected. Book club is Monday night; the discussion should be interesting. I already know one person who’s very “meh” about it and another who liked it.

How To Stop Time - Matt Haig. I just started it.

A Woman of Independent Means - Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey. This particular book club explores different genres and this time epistolary novels got the nod. I’d read A Woman of Independent Means years and years ago but am enjoying once again. From what I’m hearing everyone else likes it too.

and not for book club:

Off Armaggedon Reef - David Weber. Military science fiction. I like it enough but not more than that. I doubt I’ll continue the series.

God Save Texas - Lawrence Wright. Essays, more or less, so easy to read one “chapter” and put down till next time.

Thanks, Mary, and all who took the time to add their thoughts and opinions.

@ignatius, I stopped reading Weber a while back. I read most of the Honor books, but not much else. Apparently he’s got really bad arthritis in his hands and now dictates all his books. My son feels it’s really hampered the editing process.

I have throughly enjoyed all three of Setterfield’s books. I only wish that in Once Upon A River, Setterfield would have allowed Rita Sunday to know that Alice was alive, safe and loved. My only disappointment.