One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Trevor Noah has an autobiography on my school district web, probably other online sources. He’s really funny even as harsh as his upbringing was. I read it in one day.

I just finished Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor. It takes some time to get going with it, at least it did for me, because it’s a quiet, complex interplay of stories. Hard to explain. Gorgeous writing all the way through. I read it because George Saunders had raved about it. Definitely recommend.

I’ve been reading books from several “best of 2017” lists (mostly suspense/mystery novels), with varying degrees of satisfaction.

Peter Swanson’s book “Her Every Fear,” was so-so and not as good as his earlier book, “The Kind Worth Killing.” Seriously, I think I read “The Kind Worth Killing” in one sitting. It started out a little slow, I thought, but I barreled through the latter parts. Suspenseful with lots of twists and turns.

“Her Every Fear” was on an NPR list of best mysteries and thrillers of 2017. Also on that list were “Fierce Kingdom” (about a mass killing in a zoo and the people who survive) and “History of Wolves” (not at all a mystery but very moody and atmospheric – one of those books that you’re not so sure about while you’re reading it but grows on you when you’re done.)

The one book on the NPR list that I hated was “Meddling Kids.” Actually, I could only get through about 30 pages of it before giving up. Way too cutesy, with made-up vocabulary and self-conscious writing. To me, the writing screamed “look at me – aren’t I clever.” Too bad, because I liked the premise - a Hardy Boys/Scooby-Doo gang reunites as adults to solve a real spooky mystery. And the NPR reviewer loved it. Must be me.

My favorite from the NPR list was “The Long and Faraway Gone,” a mystery set in Oklahoma City that also intertwines two old unsolved crimes. The focus is more on the characters, though, than the mystery. The writing is thoughtful and almost lyrical. I really liked this one.

…AND I’ve also read “When the English Fall” from the most recent Lariat List (thanks again, @ignatius!) I highly, highly recommend this book, especially if you like post-apocalyptic novels. This story is told from the perspective of an Amish man living in a traditional Amish community, when a huge solar storm knocks out most of the world’s power grid.

The writing is simple but beautiful. Lots of questions but no easy answers. Kirkus called it “A standout among post-apocalyptic novels, as simply and perfectly crafted as an Amish quilt.” I hope the author is writing a sequel!

Wait a minute - I highly, highly recommend this book EVEN IF you don’t like post-apocalyptic novels.

I like Peter Swanson (saw him in person at an event). Try his first one The Girl with a Clock for a Heart which is also very good.

^ I’ve heard that “The Girl with a Clock for a Heart” is good, but my library doesn’t have it. :expressionless: I may have to use one of my Christmas-present GCs and buy it.

^ Can you not request an InterLibrary Loan - ILL? Your library can borrow it from a library that has it.

Ohhh… that is a sore subject for some users. Some states don’t have ILL (can you believe it???). My state, for example. :frowning: ILL is the greatest invention since the fork.

^ Wow. I request books through ILL all the time. One book came from Alaska: I think that was the one farthest from me.

I never browse at the library any more. I order everything on-line and they come from libraries all over the state (NJ). I don’t think I could live without ILL.

I am looking for ways to escape from my daily life right now and just finished The Woman in the Window. It’s a great new thriller that’s like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window plus Gaslight. :slight_smile:

I’d forgotten about the ILL system! I used it regularly when I was doing hard-core genealogy research. Anyway, I just placed an order for “The Girl With a Clock for a Heart.” Thanks for the suggestion, @ignatius

Well, I finally read Still Life, the first book in Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

I read it in one sitting, which must say something. :slight_smile:

I found it a bit too precious and twee for my taste. The police work didn’t seem sufficiently scientific and modern/professional to be realistic, although I like Gamache as a character. I admit that I do have a fairly limited tolerance for most cozies.

She does have an interesting way of describing the intricacies of relationships, though as well as people’s inner thoughts and emotions.

I will read the next one and see how it progresses.

I didn’t care as much for the first couple. It picks up as you go through the series, I thought. (I started with one in the middles and went back). I will say that they are more about characters & relationships than “police work” overall.

I really prefer mysteries that are about character, but the other elements have to be realistic enough not to blow willing suspension of disbelief, for me. And that was lacking.

When I was checking out the librarian told me that she found that the series picked up steam. .

I also recently read “Still Life” and had similar reaction to @Consolation . I liked the characters, but the police work didn’t seem real (and I’ve read others set in Canada and don’t imagine theirs would be so much different than ours.)

So, how much of an issue is it to read them out of order–does that ruin how characters are developed?

Well, i don’t know precisely, but I can say that the first one I read–which I don’t remember at all–I found underwhelming, and I felt as if I had walked into a cocktail party where everyone else knew each other and were deep into conversations of which I was not going to be a part. But since everyone kept telling me how great they were, I went back to the beginning. (I may have said that here before. If so, please forgive me. :slight_smile: )

Generally, with series, I read them in order.

^I do also. But it’s hard to decide to keep reading when people say the first few aren’t as good. So I just might wait till I’m desperate for a read before I venture on.

I LOVE the series. Definitely read them in order. They do get better as she develops the characters but you miss so much if you don’t follow the journey. I want to live in Three Pines. The books are entertainment not great works of literature.I read so many dark mysteries and thrillers that these were refreshing for me.

I am now reading A Gentleman in Moscow, just finished Book 1, and I must say that so far it is extraordinary.