One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I enjoyed it as well.

I read it several years ago. I finished it but had mixed feelings.

^ I read it a long time ago and it was really thought-provoking. I liked it.

I read it several years ago also. I thought it was a good read as well as thought-provoking. I am surprised that it hasnt; yet been acquired for a film as it seemed that it would make a good film adaptation.

I too think Defending Jacob would be a good movie. When I first posted above I was just before a major turning point. Holy hannah! I thought it had been good up to then and then it got even more intense. Really good.

It looks like the movie rights were sold. I wonder what became of it.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-defending-jacob-mary-parent-298575

I read Defending Jacob when it first came outā€“itā€™s a great psychological thriller. I was looking for another thriller from Landy, but I donā€™t think heā€™s written another book since.

I just finished ā€œNo Manā€™s Warā€ by Angie Ricketts. It surprised me ā€“ Iā€™m guessing it will make my list of favorite books read in 2018. It was written by an Army wife whose husband did 8 tours in their 20 year marriage. It is a really personal, raw, and interesting memoir about Army post life. I didnā€™t expect to like it as much as I did, and definitely recommend it.

I am so not a short story fan, but I am a Penelope Lively fan. Just finished her collection of short story The Purple Swamp Hen.. Iā€™ve been a fan of hers ever since I read her childrenā€™s books way back when. What fun to discover she wrote adult novels too! Sheā€™s 84 now, and many of these stories are told from the point of view of old age, something we donā€™t always see in fiction. The usual Lively obsessions are here: the consequences of small acts, of things left unsaid, and most of all what we donā€™t know about other people even when we are living with them. The writing is spare. She never uses an extra word. There are, however, a few surprises starting with the title story which is narrated by the titular bird. There are also a couple of stories that venture unexpectedly into ghost story territory - or maybe they donā€™t. Certainly on my one of the best in the last six months list.

I just finished ā€œIf We Were Villainsā€ by M.L. Rio. It is reminiscent of The Secret History in some ways ā€“ set at an arts conservatory (college level), with a group of 7 senior Shakespearean acting students as the main characters. It isnā€™t quite as densely written as The Secret History ā€“ but I liked it a lot, even though Iā€™m no student of Shakespeare. In some ways I saw the end coming, and in some ways I didnā€™t. Iā€™d recommend it.

I just finished Rules of Civility, the first novel by Amor Towles.

Wow.

I may actually like it even more than A Gentleman in Moscow. I love the heroine. It is one of the few books Iā€™ve read in which people actually read, and talk about what they are reading. The characters are marvelous. His writing style so intelligent, so ā€¦ STYLISH. Just a wonderful book.

Just finished ā€œManhattan Beachā€ by Jennifer Egan. Liked it very much. Set in NYC mostly during the Depression and WW2 and captures the time really well. So well written (as always with Egan.) Fascinating characters.

Iā€™m just finishing a Grisham book called *A Painted House/i. Itā€™s not at all in the usual Grisham genre, but just as compulsively readable. Terrific.

Just finished Pachinko which is a great read and gives some interesting insight into the Japan/Korea issues. There were a few pieces that did not feel like they fit, but overall excellent.

I loved the book House of Sand and Fog so many years ago, but not as big a fan of the movies.

Just finished The Good House by Ann Leary. Really enjoyed it. Also an excellent choice for audiobook. Mary Beth Hurt is excellent.

@Consolation Agreed. I just finished this book and I also liked it better that A Gentleman in Moscow (and I loved A Gentleman in Moscow)

Agree - rules of civility is the better book.

I read Rules firstā€¦and loved itā€¦will I be disappointed in A Gentlemen in Moscow??? Itā€™ s next in line on the nightstand.

I read Rules first and loved it. I wasnā€™t as crazy about Gentlemen.

I loved both of Towelsā€™ booksā€“think heā€™s a great writer.

Also like Ann Learyā€“saw her at a book festival in 2016 where she was promoting her newest bookā€“The Children. I thought it was even better than The Good House.