One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I was looking forward to Manhattan Beach and got about 200 pages in when I realized that I just didn’t care what happened next. So I quit. Disappointing.

I wasn’t a fan of Manhattan Beach either

I just finished “The Power” by Naomi Alderman for a book club. I’d love to hear if anyone else has read it.

I just dove into A Wrinkle in Time, on audio, and I’m feeling a rush of warm feelings, remembering how much I loved the book as a young girl.

It was a very long walk today with the dog! Come on, one more chapter!

I’m rereading A Wrinkle in Time too. I’ve seen a number of ads for the movie, so already making comparisons! I think that while they’ve clearly modernized and changed a few things they appear to have caught the flavor of it pretty well. It’s weirder then I remembered! I’m likely to go on a tear and read the rest of L’Engle’s books. It’s quite amusing that eventually the Meet the Austin book characters start to overlap with the Wrinkle in Time characters start to overlap with the Camilla characters.

Just finished the lastest C. S. Harris Sebastian St. Cyr mystery. Number 12 in the series - too lazy to look up the title they all sound the same. This one deals with child molestation and serial killing so more bleak than usual. It also ends with some pretty serious loose threads. Thank heavens the next book comes out in April!

I am looking forward to the Wrinkle in Time movie, with some concerns about how well they can bring it to the screen. One of my disappointments as a mom was that my kids just did not love that book the way I did. Not sure if it felt dated to them. I was also a huge Vicky Austin fan, and the first two books of the series. Spoke to teenaged me very much, but have not re-read them recently.

I adored (and still adore) Meet The Austins.

I am just back from a 10 day vacation in Florida and had a chance to catch up on my reading. I read Mudbound which I had in the house but had never picked up. When I saw the movie being advertised last fall, I reminded myself that I had the book. Very well written, very strong. Will look forward to watching the movie. I also caught up to the Women in the Castle, well written and interesting take on post-WWII Germany and the German survivors from Resistance widows to ex-Nazis.Should make a strong movie depending on the cast and director, if picked up for film adaptation. I also read a book that I had selected as a Kindle first a while ago and had never read, Beneath a Scarlet Sky. long book, over 500 pages but very absorbing, also a WWII novel, this time dealing with the occupation of Milan, partisans, those who aided Jews to escape. Didn’t realize till the ending acknowledgements and coda that although a novel, was based on real people and real events. I recommend.

Red Sparrow, by Jason Matthews. This is 1st in a series, followed by Palace of Treason and The Kremlin’s
Candidate. If you like the Russian spy genre – this is good and has heart (but is certainly gruesome, at times). In reading this series, you definitely get the picture about modern Russia. Putin & the Oligarchs rule. Crossing the line will get you a ticket to the basement room with a drain. The movie - Red Sparrow comes out next week!

Huh, I’ve been watching the film ads with some interest. Was waiting for reviews to decide whether to watch it. But I almost always like the book better than the movie, so I will put it on my list!

I have Red Sparrow in queue on audio. Recently enjoyed an interview with the author. Fresh Air?

@Midwest67 - I’ll look for that interview! Thanks

I enjoyed “The Women in the Castle” also. It had interesting, fully fleshed out characters in a period of time not usually covered in novels. One of the characters is based on the author’s grandmother.

This week I read The Dry and Killers of the Flower Moon. Both good. The story of the Osage murders is stunning. I find it difficult to find a word sufficient to describe the cruelty of the widespread exploitation and murderous conspiracy perpetrated against the Osage. I am also shocked that this book was the first time I had ever heard of it at all, although it was well known at the time.

Hello! Reading the thread after a long absence. @TempeMom I also just finished The Power. Whew. I thought it was mostly amazing. I love books written as ‘historical documents’.

I’ve mentioned before the fabulous and fun March Madness-style Tournament of Books from The Morning News. The bracket is out! Many well-reviewed books, some strange ones, some great under-the-radar reads, as always. And the commentary by the judges and the comments section by the very very articulate followers is fantastic.

https://themorningnews.org/article/the-2018-tournament-of-books-shortlist-and-judges

What an enticing list! I’ve only heard of/read a few of them. Time to get to work. :slight_smile:

@bookmama22 I, too, just recently read Beneath a Scarlet Sky on kindle. I loved it, hated to see it end.

@Consolation
I have just started listening to “killers of the flower moon”, heard interview of the author on fresh air I think.
@jaylynn
Thanks for the link. Of the 18 books, I have only read four, two are on my to-read list while the remaining I have not heard of. Always too many books and too little time…
My local library has eight copies on “the power” and I am #58 on the waiting list! Lol. Can’t wait for my turn.

At the meantime, two-thirds done with “legacy of ashes” about the history of CIA for the past 60+ years. It is mind-blowing! So many dark and dirty secrets done by CIA in the name of “ends justify the means” and the so-called American interests. So many lives lost and blood shed, from South America to Southeast Asia to the heart of Africa to the Middle East, too many bad deeds done and we have been experiencing their ramifications and consequences for many years and many years to come.

I’ve delved into the N.K. Jemison The Broken Earth series, currently reading vol 2, on the recommendation of some here. I would dearly love to discuss it!

For me what is up front extraordinary about this is that this is the first SF series I’ve read where almost everyone is a POC in our racial terms. Also, the author constantly, almost obsessively, describes individuals in terms of racial/ethic appearance within the construct she has created. She is really obsessed with their hair.

I’ll check it out. I’m pretty sure I’ve read some of her (?) stuff.