One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Yep, I kept thinking about CC while reading it.

@Meddy - I recently read the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. Very fun!

Just finished the Shakespeare Requirement by Julie Schumacher (recommended a few pages back). A wonderful satire of college bureaucracy - a must read for those on CC.

Iā€™m in line at the library!

Democracy in Chains, Nancy MacLean. Very good!

Wanted to mention the National Book Festival to this group of enthusiastic readers. I was privileged to attend this past weekend, just happened to be in DC at the right time! Heard some terrific authors discuss their booksā€“Doris Kearns Goodwin, Justice Sonia Sotomoyer, Madeline Albright, David Eggers, David Ignatius, John Meacham, Amy Tan, among othersā€¦

Festival is free of charge, held annually in Washington, DC, hosted by the Library of Congress.

https://loc.gov/bookfest/

Very nice event!

Thank you @rutgersmamma! I had never heard of this festival!

I just finished Us Against You and Everybody Lies. They were both wonderful. Everybody Lies is an engaging discussion of the kinds of information that can and will be mined from big data. Itā€™s not technical, and the subject matter used as examples might be of interest to many here-such as differences in outcome from attending highly rated high schools and colleges.

Corked, Catriona Strang (poems)

ā€œUnder a A Scarlet Sky,ā€ a fictionalized account of a real Italian teenager who helped Jews flee to Switzerland and also spied for the Resistance. I Googled it, and it appears that all of the main events really did happen. The man, Pino Lella, is still alive. Itā€™s spellbinding! Itā€™s almost like two novels in one. Iā€™d say the first part moves a little slowly, but itā€™s worth getting through it to reach the send part. :slight_smile:

I also very much enjoyed Under a Scarlet Sky which is indeed a fictionalized account based on a true story. I understand that there is either a mini-series or a film adaptation in the works. It was my understanding that the actual man that the main character is based on did actually pass away a few years ago. As with Lilac Girls, I didnā€™t realize that the events/characters were partially the actual people with names,etc and the others were fictional.

I am on a roll of good books - really liked this one - Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson written only in letters (I also love the term Epistolary novel - which is what it is)

I want to add here a push for a memoir by a local author who is getting great press (written up in the WSJ) - Of Monkey Bridges and BĆ”nh MƬ Sandwiches: from SĆ i GĆ²n to Texas by Oanh Ngo Usadi about the authorā€™s journey from Vietnam to Texas as a ā€œboat personā€ refuge. Very good read and enlightening about the path of a refugee.

To those of you who recommended ā€œIā€™ll Give You the Sunā€ - just finished it, and although I liked it, I have to say that the voice of the characters did get on my nerves a little. I liked the structure of the book - how it shifted between the ages of 13 and 16 - and the action pulled me right alongā€¦

I also finished ā€œIā€™ll be Gone in the Dark,ā€ Michelle McNamaraā€™s book about the Golden State Killer. Does anyone here like true crime books? If so, then this one is excellent. I find many true-crime books too breathless, if that makes sense, but this one is so well done. I found myself wondering what Ms. McNamara would have thought about the identity of the real Golden State Killer.

@bookmama22, here is a link - Pino is 92 and living in Italy. https://fee.org/articles/my-fathers-role-in-the-fall-of-fascism/

SPOILER ALERT - donā€™t read the article if you plan to read the book!

I like true crime books. Ever since reading ā€œIn Cold Bliodā€ as a teenager (yes, I know there are some reporting veracity questions, but it still is a gripping book). Liked ā€œIā€™ll Be Gone In The Darkā€ a lot.

^^ I also read ā€œIn Cold Bloodā€ as a teen and loved it!

@scout59 Have you seen the movie ā€œCapoteā€? Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as Truman Capote during the writing of that book.

I do like true-crime books and was not bowled over by ā€œIā€™ll Be Gone in the Dark.ā€ I understand why the book is choppy and not cohesive (put together and not thoroughly edited after the authorā€™s death), but those were definitely drawbacks.

@intparent - I did see ā€œCapoteā€! I tried to see everything that Philip Seymour Hoffman did. I miss him and his moviesā€¦