One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine on audio. Cathleen McCarron was a wonderful reader, doing the British and Scottish accents.

I was completely surprised by the book, and charmed. I found the story very touching. I laughed quite a bit, and also cried. Perfect road trip audiobook. I was hooked very early on.

Iā€™m halfway through Lethal White on Audible. Glad to read that she plans another one. I really like this series. Very much a fan of Strike and Robyn. The voice actor is excellent. (Edited. Misread post above.)

Just finished Ninefox Gambit. I liked it a lot, although it is a book that required the reader to trust the author and cope with confusion throughout. If anyone read Ann Leckieā€™s Ancillary series and liked it, Iā€™d recommend this.

I liked Eleanor Oliphant too. So did my daughter. I donā€™t know what to say about it without inadvertently spoiling. But it was good.

I just finished ā€œTo Obamaā€ by Jennifer Laskas. It is about the mailroom in the Obama White House. You might have seen an article on this, which is included in the book. It includes stories of some of the people who wrote the letters, and the mailroom and WH staff who helped ID the 10 letters a day the president read when he was in residence at the WH. It is very compelling. Highly recommended.

Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson. It puts historical perspective on todayā€™s politics and was first published in 1983. Well documented research on our tribal roots.

I just read The Girl in the Letter, a mystery/suspense novel about the evils perpetuated upon unmarried pregnant women by nuns/priest/doctors in the UK in the 50ā€™s. A lot of the reviews said it was hard to follow, but I didnā€™t have any trouble, and at $1.99 Kindle price, was a great read.

My only gripe. One of the main characters is Nana, the grandmother of a main character. She is described as ā€œelderly,ā€ ā€œwhite haired,ā€ using a walker, having hip and heart problems. And then come to find out, she is only 60! REALLY, author?!?!?

I mentioned Rebecca Makkaiā€™s ā€œThe Great Believersā€ above as being Long Listed for the National Book Award. Itā€™s now announced to be on the Short Listā€“really rooting for it to win!

@garland, your enthusiastic post about The Great Believers inspired me to buy it on audio book, and Iā€™m knee deep into it after a long bike ride and errands in the car. Enjoying it immensely so far.

Great writing and characters! Glad you are enjoying it!

Maggie Nelson, The Argonautsā€“a brilliant book. Wow.

1 Like

I read ā€œThe Argonautsā€ a few years ago, on my older daughterā€™s recommendation. I often zip through books but for this one, the writing itself was so exquisite that I would often read just a few sentences at a time so I could savor them more.

I read Dr. Seussā€™s ā€œGreen Eggs and Hamā€ today. Iā€™d forgotten what a wonderful, imaginative book it is! Iā€™ve smiled all day.

ā€œRed Noticeā€ by Bill Browder. A great introduction into what happened after the fall of the USSR and the rise of the oligarchs in Russia. Also a great explanation of the Magnitsky Act.

Green Eggs and Ham is the first book I remember owning. Iā€™m not a big fan of Seussā€™s illustrations, but that book is just about perfect.

Finished The Great Believers. I really enjoyed it. I would have finished it far sooner if not for the fact that listening to a book takes a lot longer than reading one.

Itā€™s long, too. Without giving anything away to anyway, that one thing was heartbreaking!

Because of the Harvard trial going on right now regarding the charge of discrimination against Asian-American students in its admissions practices, I started reading Jerome Karabelā€™s ā€œThe Chosen: the Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.ā€ What a timely reading! Just reading its ā€œIntroductionā€ placed the current trial in historical perspectives with such clarity. Very impressive book.

Iā€™m reading Thinking in Bets- how to make decisions when you donā€™t have all the information by Annie Duke. Itā€™s really good!

I zipped through Lethal White and I loved it and that each book is more complex than the next. I actually think that I read she plans 5 more books in this series, canā€™t wait. Almost still deeply into the Maisie Dobbs series of books by Jacqueline Winspear and similar in that each book in the series gets more complex and like J.K she drops clues along the way and re-introduces characters as needed.