One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

@bookmama22 I’m very excited that my local library now has Lethal White and I’m #3 on the reserve list.

You will love Lethal White… such a good read. I am really into the Maisie Dobbs series, great train reading for me

I need to get back to the Maisie Dobbs books. Really enjoy them. Torn between them, Ann Cleeves and Jo Nesbo. And new Louise Penny out soon.

Just finished Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn West. What an incredible book. Poetic, real, mystical, searing.

The Killing of Uncle Sam: The Demise of the United States of America
by Rodney Howard-Browne

Oh my goodness, if I could shout from the rooftops, I would: READ THIS BOOK! Educated by Tara Westover. It is just astounding. I loved it.

“Florida” by Lauren Groff. I don’t always like short story collections, but this was wonderful (and sad).

@VaBluebird - I am half-way through “Educated” now and I’m loving it! Much better than “The Glass Castle,” in my opinion (…speaking of dysfunctional families…)

Just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Quite a slog IMO, much like The Goldfinch was. An author in serious need of a good editor.

I thought it was a really long, slow uphill climb to the pivotal event. Like the climb on a roller coaster. But once it actually happened, I couldn’t put it down or stop thinking about it when I didn’t have time to read. (Do agree about The Goldfinch - killing off the Vegas pages would have been a kindness to the reader!)

It held my interest but it seems long just for the sake of being long. I’d say it could have been cut in half and been an excellent read.

@cartera45 I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought Goldfinch was a slog. I persevered and when I finished I was mad that I had spend 8 hours or whatever reading it. Life’s too short

I agree that The Goldfinch was a slog, but I loved A Secret History.

@Consolation I’m sure I have a soft spot for it because it takes place at a college. :smiley:

I think I liked Secret History though I don’t remember much about it, but definitely was ready to throw Goldfinch out a window by the time I finished it.

Plan to start listening to Educated next. Excited to see that one of my favorite voice actors, Julia Whelan, narrates.

Haven’t read The Goldfinch and from the reviews don’t think I want to read it, but I thought The Secret History was brilliant - mesmerizing, creepy and beautifully written.

Very excited that Kate Atkinson has a new book out - I’m on the waiting list at my library. I loved * Life After Life. *

I’m excited about Atkinson book too. That was going to be the book I started today but Educated bumped it. It will be next. That should work well with my intention the new Louise Penny the minute it is out.

I’m trying to get immersed in Barbara Kingsolver’s new novel, Unsheltered, but I also have to read Elizabeth Kolbert’s Sixth Extinction for work So torn!