One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Reading “Unsheltered” now- so strange to read about local south jersey places- i.e. A visit to cape may birding

Right? When I picked up my reserve copy at the local library, the librarian was really excited by the setting. I’m so tickled that she chose here.

Then you will love Transcription! I was first on the list for the book at my library then ended up paying late fees so my husband could read it, too. She jumps back and forth in time again and it occasionally gets a bit difficult to keep characters straight (especially since many also have aliases) but it’s terrific. I’m still waiting for her to bring back Jackson Brodie one of these days.

I have never been able to tolerate a Kingsolver novel.

On the other hand, I also was not able to get into The Sopranos although everyone else raved about it.

I freely admit that there might be something wrong with me.

And did I mention that I also do not like Louise Penny? B-)

Omigosh, @SouthJerseyChessMom , I just got to the nature trail scene–thats one of my favorite places to walk! Love encountering it here!

^ strange reading about local spots in a kingsolver novel! Knew you would like that short scene

OMG, I’m so mad at myself. I left my new Kindle Paperwhite on an airplane this morning. I just bought it on prime day in July using birthday money. I am always so careful when I travel which is why I’m so very mad at myself. I didn’t use the kindle at all on my trip because I had brought a library book I was reading and hadn’t finished it. But while organizing my backpack, I took the kindle out and dropped it at my feet. I couldn’t reach it and since we were landing in 20 mins, I said I’d get it then. However, we landed but got delayed going to our gate and having just flown a red eye, I was tired and not thinking clearly. Since I hadn’t used the kindle at all, I forgot I’d taken it out of the bag I guess. So frustrating bc I know it was just sitting on floor of the plane! I filed a report with the airline but not sure I’ll ever see it again. ?

All that said, I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Beautiful prose. A coming of age story that takes place in coastal Carolina, the setting really comes alive in a tale of love, abandonment, loneliness and survival in the marshes of North Carolina. Had to suspend disbelief a little bit at times but otherwise loved it.

In my experience, anything of value left on a plane or train will be stolen by the employees. Even eyeglasses. (Well, maybe they just throw those out rather than bother to give them to the lost and found.)

Two books I just read that I enjoyed :
Sea of Memories …I could see it becoming a movie
The Waiting Room
Quick downloads from Amazon for my kindle for traveling , and them my screen shattered …time for an upgrade !

“The Great Believers”: I liked it a lot, as did my older daughter.

Invisible Thread

@magnetnh, I just read (listened to, actually) The Hate U Give. I have mixed feelings about it.

Just finished Barbara Kingsolver’s Unsheltered and loved it.

About 2/3 through Lethal White. Just got to the explanation of the title. (no spoilers here)

I just finished Transcription. I’m a big Atkinson fan, but this was not her best work. I didn’t hate it, but I guess my expectations of her books are so high (I think Life After Life is phenomenal) that I’m easily disappointed.

My favorite recent read was The Spy and the Traitor by Ben McIntire. If you like true spy tales, you’ll love it. I’ve also really enjoyed the author’s books about the spy game during WWII. Fascinating stuff. They would all make great movies.

Fans of the mystery genre–I have a question for you. I’m trying to put together books in this genre that would appeal to a close friend’s father (Ed). Ed is 86 (a retired pediatric cardiologist) who moved in with his son and family a year ago–he a widower and has Parkinson’s and can’t live alone. He does fine at friend’s home–goes to activities at the senior center in town, does a daily walk, and reads the rest of the time. He mostly reads non-fiction–biographies, history, current events. He’s a great guy and I enjoy talking to him. We’ve stayed at his apartment in FL for a few nights last winter when we went on vacation. (He keeps his apartment there–doesn’t want to give it up.)

Recently he told me that he’s never read any mysteries/thrillers. I want to give him a few books and put together a list of others in this genre for him to read. If you had to choose classics in the mystery genre what authors would you include? Here are some of my authors: Dashiell Hammett, PD James, Dorothy L. Sayers, Rober van Gulik (Judge Dee series), Donna Leon, Georges Simenon (Inspector Maigrett), Michael Connolly, Caleb Carr, Harlan Coben, Sara Paretsky, Faye Kellerman, and Jonathan Kellerman. Other authors to add??

I would suggest some historical mystery series like Maisie Dobbs and Maggie Hope. The classic is Agatha Christies “and then there were none (ten little indians)” or “murder on the orient express”.

One publisher I’m hooked on is Europa Editions. Their World Noir imprint has some fabulous books: well written and well edited.
Maurizio de Giovanni - 1930s Naples, with a twist
Robert Wilson - Charlie Boxer series, start with “A Small Death in Lisbon”
Look at their website for synopses of current and older books

My husband enjoys reading the Bruno series by Martin Walker and the Junior Bender and the Poke Rafferty series by Timothy Halliman. He also likes Connelly, David Baldacci, and Mark Billingham. He won’t read anything cozy, which I find all too common with historical written by women, but Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers might fit the bill.

You can also google Edgar Awards - theedgars.com and the British equivalent - theCW.co.uk - for mystery, crime, and thriller nominees and winners.

Agree about the Bruno series, I think those might appeal to that reader.

@Bromfield2 , Louise Penny.