One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Life is too short to waste on bad books - you need to listen to something great next

Agree that the Warmth of Other Suns is a must read. It took me a while to start it, as it is thick, but actually a relatively easy read. Very interesting stories.

^ Warmth of Others Suns is terrific on audio. The story-telling foundation of the book really pops.

@Sybylla I listened to Tattoist of Auschwitz, the first novel by the same author. While I’m in the small minority of people who thought the writing was terrible, the narrator made it even worse. I couldnt even finish - I skipped to the end to see how it ended but not sure why I bothered. Probably the worst narrator of the many audiobooks I’ve listened to. I wonder if it’s the same narrator for the second book.

I might be also in the minority in having a “life is too short” moment when reading “where the crawdads sing”! I found it to be pretty poorly written and got progressively worse as the plot “thickened”. Giving it two stars for the descriptions of marsh creatures only.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

(The doors are doors between worlds)

Just in the middle of the ten thousand doors - enjoying it so far

I had (audio book) Amy Schumer’s Tattoo, my assumption going in was that she couldn’t possibly have a book in her, and she certainly didn’t. She could have had a good college essay though.

@VaBluebird – from Feb you posted about reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. — and I just finished it. And you were so right - it’s so strange; but I’m thinking about it too! Did you ever go back and read it again? I think it’d make so much more sense the second time.

if anyone likes murder/mystery combined with time travel – that’s what this is. It’s good!

So interesting to read the recs for The Weight of Ink. I couldn’t get past 30 or so pages but am now thinking I need to pick it up again!

Will look into Warmth of Other Suns

The Immortalists (Chloe Benjamin) was a really good audio book, a really great story.

@AlmostThere2018 - I struggled with the Weight of Ink too. I slogged through it and really enjoyed the last 25% but honestly am not sure it was worth it to get there. Just moved too slowly for me and I didn’t feel drawn into the characters until it was almost over.

I gave up on The Weight of Ink. Just couldn’t get into it.

Drive Your Plow over the Bones of the Dead. What a wonderful read.

No, I haven’t reread it. I did go back and read the final few chapters again. Can’t say it really helped me much. :wink:

@makemesmart

Thank you for the mention of Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth!

I finally got around to listening to it. It’s narrated by the author, Sarah Smarsh. I agree, it’s way better than Hillbilly Elegy (and I liked that one a lot!).

@Midwest67
I am glad you enjoyed Heartland!
I was a little worried that my judgement of the two books might be colored a bit by the Hillbilly’s author being a conservative, and his narrative fits the “pull your own bootstrap” (which is a fantasy conjured up by folks who own boots) crap. ?

@makesmesmart

Heartland spoke me to as a female. Sarah Smarsh sharing the personal stories of her female relatives & her perspective as a daughter (& future unborn child) was powerful.

Hillbilly Elegy was good, but different. JD Vance got a lot of press right after the 2016 election (which got me to read his book!) but it was less personal and raw.

Both good! Heartland better! :slight_smile:

Just finished “The Great Believers”. As others have written previously, it is a wonderful book. The story centers on the AIDs crisis in Chicago and the wide-ranging impacts it had on those within and outside the gay community there.

Audio version of Red at the Bone is fabulous. Beautifully read and written. A great story.