One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I liked Oona out of Order - but I am a sucker for any kind of time travel type thing. I read it (not audio).

I loved the Time Traveler’s Wife. Ooona is a like YA fiction for old people? I can’t put my finger on it LOL.

American Dirt? Anyone?
What is the hype about this book? It is so mediocre and so unbelievably fake, I could hardly finish it. Glad that I got it on audiobook.

Didn’t like “normal people” either. Lol

Really enjoyed “uncanny valley”, a memoir by a young lady who ventured to Silicon Valley as a non-tech “tech-support” person. Sharp observation, sharper tongue. Heard the book is going to be made into movie, if this covid19 leaves us soon enough.

I ended up reading both Sally Rooney books, Normal People on my own out of curiosity and Conversations with Friends for book club.

We, the book club, composed mostly of ladies over 60+, concurred that we are not woke enough to get the hype!

I finished OOna, and it was dreadful to the end. I wonder if it is just written as a script? Because it is so bad that it seems it can’t have been written as a book, just a concept with filler for the real writers to adapt. .

@ccreader - I did not care for either of them either. Glad to hear I am not alone! :slight_smile:

I have finished the Polygamist’s daughter on audio, and have to say it was dreadfully written and horribly narrated (by the author). The content was compelling, she should have worked with a writer and narrator and had a real best seller. The background story is rich and unbelievable really, but that didn’t stop Educated from being a huge hit. Unlike Educated though, this story must have corroboratin criminal evidence. The religious claptrap is so strong though, she seems happy enough to flit from one cult to another. Maybe that is impossible to give up. The book could have been half as long and twice as good.

I thought this thread would explode during this time of Covid-19. Are others in a reading slump like I am?

Not a reading slump, exactly, but definitely having a hard time focusing on deeper material that requires focus. I’m rereading some favorite recent fiction, and reading a juicy, gossipy biography. Let’s just say that for me, this isn’t the time to tackle Ulysses.

Lots of Nora Roberts around here.

I’m rereading a sci fi series in timeline order (I think I’m up to #19), but I started it before all this started so I can’t blame Covid-19. I did read Middlemarch for the CC Bookclub. So I feel virtuous about that.

Covid-19 has made it so hard to concentrate that I picked up a James Patterson thriller for a quick and easy read. I decided when I was done that reading Patterson was worse for my brain than not reading at all.

I agree - I am still reading but not any more than usual (despite having more time.) My book group changed up our next few books to light, happy reads (we are meeting using Zoom)

I did read this and really liked it - a mix of mystery, steampunk, and historical fiction - The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley. It was a fun read and doesn’t require a lot of concentration.

I thought I’d be reading more but my attention span isn’t what it used to be.

I HAVE been reading a lot of books about faith - like Anne Lamott’s “Traveling Mercies” and Kate Braestrap’s “Here If you Need Me.” For an old progressive Christian like me, they are comforting.

Love Traveling Mercies!

I’ve been enjoying Rick Atkinson’s WW2 history books. An Army At Dawn won a Pulitzer back in 2007 and he followed it up with The Day of Battle and later with The Guns At Last Light. A good story well told, where the good guys win and you have to look up a word every once in a while. I’m enjoying his thumbnail bios of various people and obscure but fun research and phrasings. Here’s a quote from when Churchill arrived in the US in spring of 1943 for a US-UK strategy conference:

Anyway, if tales of George Patton’s wooing of his wife (he rode his horse up the stairs and onto the terrace of her house) or the full text of the winning entry from a “Why I’m Fighting” essay contest (“Because I was drafted”) or even salacious rumors of Dwight Eisenhower’s relationship with his driver (Kay Summersby) then you might not like the whole thing, but it’s readable and doesn’t stick to the same old plodding military history formula.

Famous All Over Town by Danny Santiago.

I have been reading lots of stuff in the mystery/thriller genre. Great escape!! While in quarantine, I finished The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, The Guardians by John Grisham, and the newest Patricia Cornwell book, Quantum (a new series for her). I have been ordering from my local, independent book seller. You can order and pay on line for the books. If you are within a ten mile radius of the store, the owner will deliver within a day. The owner says he’s been doing better sales some days than he does when the store is open.

I’m very excited that I just nabbed Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light, the Wolf Hall Trilogy Book 3. It showed up as a 7 day ebook loan in our library system so I better get busy reading!

I, too, have been needing lighter books. I started Wolf Hall but have been unable to stay with it.

Picked up the advance copy of Elin Hilderbrand’s newest “28 Summers” and read it in a few days - it was so nice to be distracted with a book about rich people, enjoying delicious food in beachfront houses. . . .totally not the kind of thing I usually read, but exactly what I wanted for a quarantine. Like cotton candy.