One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

The glass hotel is also excellent - very different from station eleven. You will enjoy.

Year of Wonders is currently $1.99 for the Kindle edition

I have always wanted a Station Eleven sequel. I loved the book and have wanted to know more.

I need recommendations for some sitting on the beach books (IOW not to heavy.) Someone mentioned One Day in December so I ordered it and I have The Great Alone to still read. But, I’ve gone through 3 books in the last week and a half so need a few more.

the glass hotel is not a station eleven sequel

Here’s a request: quirky, vaguely upbeat but NOT saccharine, cleverly written, big-hearted books. Examples Elinor Oliphant, Man Called Ove, How Not to Die, etc.

Anyone have recommendations for that kind of book (if that description makes sense? I think that’s most what my reader self could use now. Thanks!

here are a few that fit your description - I have read all of them:

The Story of Arthur Truluv
Elizabeth Berg

Henry, Himself
Stewart O’Nan

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
Rachel Joyce

Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
Helen Simonson

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
Gabrielle Zevin (one of my favorite books of all time)

Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore
Robin Sloan

The Nest
by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

The Cactus
by Sarah Haywood (my book group didn’t like this one - didn’t get the humor)

@Garland - I enjoyed the following books which I would classify as quirky, vaguely upbeat. I stumbled upon most (all?) of them via recommendations by others on this thread (Thank you!).
Where’d You Go, Bernadette
Sour Dough (Sloan)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Rosie Project

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper

Thanks, @kiddie ! – Mr. Penumbra’s book store is one i should have listed on my “type” list. She had one about sour dough, sort of, that I also liked. I will check out these others!

@kiddie, I loved The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. It’s one of my favorites, too. The CC Book Club read it in 2014: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1639495-the-storied-life-of-a-j-fikry-june-cc-book-club-selection-p1.html

Thanks, @SnLMom – good leads, thank you!!!

Severance, Ling Ma

I enjoyed it when it first came out, and even more on rereading as I binge on pandemic tales.

The scene in station eleven when the stranded Parisian longs for his apartment with period details really gets to me.

1 Like

@garland

Harry’s Trees - Jon Cohen

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell - Robert Dugoni

The Thief - Megan Whalen Turner (Can’t help myself here - first in a really good series - technically YA, I guess, but still …)

Swimmer Among the Stars: Stories - Kanishk Tharoor

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen (Touches of magical realism)

Nimona - Noelle Stevenson (Graphic novel)

Thanks! @ignatius !

I put Mr. Penumbra on hold in early March (on my brother’s recommendation) and it came into my local library branch a day or two before the libraries shut down. Now they’re starting curbside pickup on Tuesday for existing holds and my branch is one of the handful doing that. I’ll finally get it! Glad to see it recommended here also.

I keep hoping our bookstore will go to curbside pickup. I don’t like to eread, and I can’t buy that many books!

I recently finished Writers and Lovers by Lily King, author of Euphoria for those who may have read that. I’ve had a difficult time concentrating so haven’t been reading heavy or dark books and this one was a quick and easy read for me.

Long Bright River by Liz Moore is not exactly a “light” book in that it deals with a police officer searching for her sister, a drug addict whom she hasn’t seen in months. However, despite what sounds like a depressing plot, it drew me in pretty easily and I enjoyed it.

Have You Seen Luis Velez-Catherine Ryan Hyde
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk-Kathleen Rooney
The Music Shop-Rachel Joyce
Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone- Phaedra Patrick
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry-Gabrielle Zevin
The Story of Arthur Truluv- Eliz. Berg

@Mary13 - One of my daughters worked The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry into her college essay about her love of words. It is a lovely read :slight_smile:

Have any of you who have read / are reading Normal People seen the television series?