One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

In the middle of Friends and Lovers right now - enjoying it

Iā€™m re-reading A Moveable Feast - I am enjoying it more, this time around

Iā€™m currently reading ā€œFriends and Strangersā€ by J. Courtney Sullivan. Very enjoyable so far.

For Inspector Montalbano fans (from The Guardian):
ā€œThe last whodunnit featuring the famed Sicilian police inspector Salvo Montalbano has hit the shelves in Italy, nearly a year to the day after the death of the author Andrea Camilleri.

Riccardino was first penned in 2005 and then tweaked in 2016, after which Camilleri gave it to his publisher on the promise that it would not be released until after his death. He died on 18 July 2019 at the age of 93.

Fans are in for a special treat: not only do they get another murder for grumpy Montalbano to resolve but Camilleri himself makes an appearance. He turns up to tick off his detective after he is reluctant to get on with the new case, according to an extract of the novel published by the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

ā€œI offer you a lead and you mess around, and I find myself in trouble. As a writer, I mean. We canā€™t go on like this, you have to start investigating,ā€ he tells him sternly in a telephone call. An unimpressed Montalbano hangs up on him.ā€

The story doesnā€™t say when the book will be translated and released in the UK or US.

Iā€™ve been listening to Mary Trumpā€™s audio book, narrated by the author.

Itā€™s been pretty interesting so far. Trumpā€™s familyā€¦well, suffice to say dysfunctional is an understatement.

Mary Trump is being interviewed tonight at 9:00 pm, EST, on MSNBC

Iā€™m reading Chasing Chaos by Jessica Alexander. Itā€™s a memoir of her decade spent working overseas in humanitarian aid. Iā€™m really enjoying it.

1 Like

@MaineLonghorn I lived like the Nearings but in Vermont, 1970ā€™s! Not strong enough anymore :slight_smile:

@compmom wow!

My husband lived on a commune in Alaska in the late 70s with no running water or electricity. A couple of hundred people.

I canā€™t remember if I saw this book mentioned in this thread, but I am reading ā€œFrom Scratch,ā€ the true story of a young Black woman who falls in love with an Italian chef while studying abroad in Florence. Itā€™s a sad story but so well written. Iā€™m going to get it for my daughter since she studied in that city.

^^^ Her younger sister is author Attica Locke. Iā€™ve read a number of her books, all good.

Wheee! I just learned that a new Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mystery (series by Laurie King) came out this summer. Iā€™m number 6 on the hold list.

Tembi and Attica Locke are wonderful writers. So is Laurie King.

I recently read ā€œBecoming Duchess Goldblatt.ā€ Iā€™ve followed ā€œherā€ on twitter for awhile. Itā€™s a memoir of sorts of how an anonymous woman becomes Duchess. Sad, hopeful, funny, and a big dose of Lyle Lovett.

Just finished an ideal beach read: Maine by Courtney Sullivan. Fascinating characters and solid, engaging writing.

@zeebamom You ā€œstoleā€ my suggestion. Iā€™ve been having so much trouble sticking with a book in the last few months. Then I picked up Becoming Duchess Goldblatt. She was the cure for what ailed me. The challenge is what to read next. The Duchess is an impossible act to follow.

Oh my goodness, I finished it last night and this is one of the best books Iā€™ve ever read in my life never mind the last six months! I absolutely loved it. I sure wish I knew her, Iā€™d be her friend! What a gem. So uplifting.

1 Like

Finished ā€œThe Splendid and the Vileā€ last night. Fascinating story of Churchills first year as PM. A lot of history I really didnā€™t know or was only somewhat aware of and interesting look at a complicated man. He certainly was a great leader and history would have been much different without him.

Recommend Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I have a pile of finished books, most of which I would recommend to one person or another. But I think Dutch House would appeal to lots of folks.

Just finished The House of Mirth. Highly recommend.

@FallGirl I recently read ā€œThe Splendid and the Vileā€ also. I liked its day to day storytelling of both Churchillā€™s first days in office and the terror of the Blitz.