One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just read When the Stars Go Dark (Paula McLain, 2021), a selection for a “zoom book club” next week. Actually I listened to it on Audible during a road trip - filled 11+ hours. It was a detective story with some dark topics (murder kidnapping, childhood traumas, sexual abuse), and hubby was uninterested so I used earbuds.

One of my favorite authors is Elizabeth Berg. I just finished the third book and it was just sweet. Love them all. https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B07DF8ZVCG/ref=dp_st_1984855174

When I was a new young mom, I read Parents magazine and she was one of the regular columnists and I just loved her. I was delighted when I found she wrote books! I went to a book signing and “met” her and mentioned the Parents mag throwback and she was so pleased. Anyway, she’s a great person and I love her books.

7 Likes

Kristen Hannah’s “The Four Winds” was mentioned upthread. Just finished it today and highly recommend.

2 Likes

Is she the same Kristen Hannah that wrote the Nightingale? It remains one of my favorite war novels along with “All the Light We Can Not See” and Unbroken

1 Like

Yes, she is the same writer.

I just finished How Much of These Hills is Gold by C Pam Zhang. It’s an interesting twist on the pioneer novel. The author said she was inspired in part by Laura Ingalls Wilder (the book is told from the POV of a girl in a family of four, with “Ba” and “Ma” and a fascinating version of sibling love and rivalry). The typical tropes of the pioneer novel-- the journey west, the search for a final home–are subverted and questioned. The family is Chinese and they are attempting to make a living by prospecting and mining in the early 1860s. The book carries a challenging message about gender, identity, and assimilation. Characters have many dimensions are aren’t always what they seem to be at first introduction. I appreciated the lyrical descriptions of the western plains and the love for the land the protagonist has.

7 Likes

I just devoured Daisy Jones & The Six, finished it practically in one sitting. It is written as a biographic interview about a fake 70’s rock band. I recommend it, especially for those of us who lived through that era.

8 Likes

Read The Final Revival of Opal & Nev and Project Hail Mary and both were 5 star reads. The first is similar to Daisy Jones & The Six in that it’s about a 70s music duo who are ready to perform together again and the latter is about the attempt to save earth by sending out a manned space mission. Fantastic books! Highly recommend them.

2 Likes

Loved Daisy Jones too. Last week I requested the author’s new book Malibu Rising from the library. This morning Jenna chose it as her June pick on The Today Show, can’t wait!

1 Like

Just finished Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney’s novel “Good Company” – well-written, well-drawn characters, overall a fast read. Would recommend.

2 Likes

I loved that book, but it shattered me.

Not exactly “the best book I’ve read in the last 6 months”, but I just finished Finlay Donovan is Killing it, which I originally got because it was on sale for 99 cents… and I just guffawed and laughed out aloud throughout. So, not a literary masterpiece that’ll get the Pulitzer, but if you want something light and fun after something dark or crushing, it’s the right book for someone who doesn’t mind dark humor and a “harried mother with diaper bag” narrator.

3 Likes

Sometimes that’s just what you want. I read the most recent Murderbot novella by Martha Wells and have hesitated to post here. First - you should read them in order and if you have you are already addicted. Second, they are just bonbons. But if you like sci-fi and snarky first person narrators, I highly recommend the series. Which you should read in order!

3 Likes

DH and I just finished listening to Tom Hanks read The Dutch House over the past three days of driving from Phoenix to Michigan (not quite there yet). It’s the first audiobook for both of us. Usually, I read aloud on (short) trips, but we’re sharing the driving on this longer trek, so we thought we’d try an audio book. It took a while to get into the story, but I’d say we both enjoyed it by the end. One drawback, though—Tom’s voice is almost too soothing for the road. Several times, we had to take breaks and listen to some jumpy music to revive us from the gentle lull of his (fantastic) narration.

9 Likes

Great book. I highly recommend.

3 Likes

I don’t read much non-fiction except for memoirs. Recently, at my husband’s urging, I read Don Lemon’s (African American CNN anchor) book This Is the Fire: What I Say to My Friends About Racism. Excellent read.

5 Likes

Recently read “His Only Wife” by Peace adzo Medie. Fun and interesting story of a poor young woman who is married in a ceremony where the man is absent in an effort by his wealthy family to lure him away from his girlfriend. Would recommend for being thought-provoking without requiring too much thinking!

2 Likes

I just finished “The Lost Man” by Jane Harper. She wrote “The Dry” which was one of the book club selections a while back. It was excellent. I love her writing!!

6 Likes

I loved both of Harper’s books. My husband who is not a reader by any stretch, just started The Lost Man and was impressed by her descriptions and really enjoying the book.

1 Like

Just read “True Grit” in one evening. I found it very compelling and can see how it could make John Wayne famous!

4 Likes