One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Oh, I just finished it today. I thought it was really good. The character development was terrific.

2 Likes

Yes, I did say that W and L is not chick lit but that on my own shelving system on Goodreads, I tagged it that way (and added it to many other shelves of mine). I use my shelves sometimes when friends are looking for recommendations and this particular book is one that I feel will appeal to a broad audience and would be a good beach read. It has several elements of the “chick lit” genre (romance, contemporary, female lead, etc) though it is way too well written IMO to be compared to what is traditionally considered chick lit. I mentioned it to Homer because she was looking for something “lighter” and it fits the bill even though it’s not really chick lit. All that said, she had already read it LOL.

3 Likes

After reading Klara and the Sun, I didn’t want to start another book. Just wanted to sit with my thoughts. And I wasn’t originally that enthusiastic about it as the topic just didn’t grab me. But I love his writing so figured I’d give it a go. So glad I did!

5 Likes

I really liked Klara and the Sun. I have had a hard tell selling it to others because when I say it is a book about a robot they say I don’t read sci fi. But I loved it. Another charming book with a protagonist robot is Set My Heart To Five.

2 Likes

omg I spent at least an hour on this thread the other night, cutting and pasting book titles I thought I’d enjoy, and LOST THE FILE.
I’ve now spent another hour doing the same thing and this time I sent it to myself as an email.
take that, universe.

Anyway, my favorites are dystopian/thriller/sci-fi/YA - mostly brain candy but sometimes a bit heavier. (I would count Station 11 in that category, so I’m basically a lightweight :slight_smile: )

I was wondering if anyone had read, from 2019, Fall, Or Dodge in Hell, by Neal Stephenson (he also wrote Reamde, which is a rollicking read
this one is not), and whether they were as struck as I was by the section of the book that deals with Ameristan.

That has really stayed with me and I discuss it often with my husband amid the latest divisions in the country. I am NOT trying to get political, just wondering whether it affected other readers similarly.

1 Like

I don’t know why I haven’t read more Neil Stephenson. I thought Snow Crash was brilliant and loved the first 2/3 of Seveneves, but sometimes I just look at those fat books and think they look like too much work. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. (At least I think it was one!)

Um, kind of a recommendation just for that section but really I found the whole book way too long and in need of an editor and missing an end game.
But it explores some interesting ideas and I’m a bit of a geek, so I found it possible to read the whole thing. Most people I know would not.

1 Like

My wife is trying to buy a company, so she is very keen for input from diverse sources on running a business. We listened to the “Shoe Dog” audiobook written by Nike Chairman, Phil Knight. The title could be “How NOT to run a start-up”. It was an entertaining ride. I am convinced Nike, aka Blue Ribbon Sports, survived and then prospered despite Phil Knight. His lack of financial discipline, people management skills, and business acumen is astounding. He ran the company to the brink of bankruptcy so many times.

Entertaining, but not 1/10th the audiobook my favorite story “A Man For All Markets” is.

2 Likes

I just finished “Rules of Civility” by Amor Towles. I loved, loved, loved it. I didn’t think I would like it as much as “A Gentleman in Moscow”, but I did. I love his writing.

10 Likes

@silverlady did you know Towles has a new book coming out in the next few months called The Lincoln Highway?

7 Likes

You beat me to it. His writing is exquisite. I’m savoring Gentleman in Moscow and can’t wait for The Lincoln Highway. He has information about ordering signed copies on his website https://www.amortowles.com/ (No I am not related to him, LOL.)

3 Likes

Just finished Stacey Abrams, “When Justice Sleeps,” an excellent book by an amazing person!

I understand a TV series will be made based on it.

7 Likes

I worked for Nike back in the 1990s and went to quite a few sales meetings where we would hang with Phil. He was a blast and it’s kind of like a cult over there. I seem to remember that he dared me to do a tequila shot upside down and I did it. He was fun and we drank the Koolaid. Shoe Dog didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know since all who work there know the story but it’s a great read!

3 Likes

So happy to hear this! I have it on hold at the library.

I’m almost finished with Alex Michaelides, The Maidens. It’s a psychological thriller that’s quite different from most in this genre. The book centers on a series of murders at Cambridge Univerity. Michaelides is a screenwriter; his first book The Silent Patient is another great read. If you like books in this genre, I’d highly recommend both of these.

3 Likes

Thank you! I thought The Silent Patient was great. I’ll look for this one.

I just finished this novel for a zoom book club - Everything I Never Told You book by Celeste Ng

It was serious story (possibly too serious if you’ve parented struggling teens), very well written with memorable characters. It is the kind of book you can read quickly, think a lot about.

5 Likes

Just finished “Shoulder Season” by Christina Clancy. The main character is a young woman who works as a bunny at the Lake Geneva Playboy Club in 1981. It took me a while to get into it, but it was interesting. Also some surprises at the end.

Recently read The Year of Wonders about a small village and a plague in the 1500 or 1600s. I agree with @mathmom about how crazy the plot twists were near the end - especially what we learned about the reverend. Jeez.

3 Likes

The Five Wounds was excellent as was Olympus, Texas. Both very well written family dramas with nuanced characters.
On the other hand, We Are the Brennans was a family saga that was very mediocre.