One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I definitely think Donna Tartt is a very good writer. I just disliked the characters, and eventually the plot. Have liked other books by her.

1 Like

Not a fan of Donna Tartt. Secret History was ā€œmehā€ IMO, and gave up on The Little Friend as it seemed to be more work than pleasure to read. Didnā€™t bother with the Goldfinch.

3 Likes

I found The Secret History mesmerizing, but creepy. Started whatever her next book was and got bored quickly.

Agreed ā€“ I felt like it needed heavy editing by someone willing to say ā€œenoughā€ to the author.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been consumed by Meg Masonā€™s Sorrow and Bliss It kind of broke my heart. At the same time, I laughed aloud numerous times while reading it. An unusual and unusually moving novel.

2 Likes

I just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus and found it both entertaining and educational - about a female scientist in the 1950ā€™s and 60ā€™s and her travails and life. Great for fans of biochemistry - and precocious children (per the book club thread) and precocious dogs (per many threads). I donā€™t want to give too much away but it was thought provoking and infuriating (for the characters) and a love story.

5 Likes

@marilyn, Iā€™m listening to the audiobook version right now, and enjoying it so far.

2 Likes

I LOVED Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow! It was my Book of the Month Club selection. Agree that you donā€™t have to know anything about Gaming to enjoy it. Same author as The Storied Life of A J Fikry.

4 Likes

Just finished The Fishermen by Chigozie Obiama. It is the story of 4 brothers in Nigeria and is one of the best book Iā€™ve read in years. I was so connected to the characters that at one point I didnā€™t want to read further as I was scared of what may happen to them. It is the kind of story that lingers after the book is finished. So so good!

8 Likes

Great book, @jazzymomof7 ! And while some books do a great job of using description to bring you to a place you know, this one takes you to a place you donā€™t and makes you feel like youā€™re there.

2 Likes

Acceptance by Emi Nietfeldā€¦I just finished it. Wow. A memoir of her life as the child of a trans father and hoarder mother, her teens involve treatment facilities, foster care, shelters, sleeping in her carā€¦all while obsessively targeting Ivy League acceptance as the key to a better life. (College Confidential even makes a cameo appearance.) She discovers that achieving her goals doesnā€™t mean the past is washed away. The word that comes to mind for her story is ā€˜harrowingā€™; I could not put this book down.

4 Likes

The Nature of Fragile Thingsā€¦ā€¦quick read, page turner, likable characters ( for the most part) historical fiction about the San Francisco 1906 earthquake.

Just finished and loved Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow - great book

4 Likes

Just finished and really loved ā€œThe Leaversā€ by Lisa Ko. All of my book group liked it as well. It is well written and the story unfolds in an interesting way. Issues of abandonment, adoption, immigration, are woven into a coming-of-age story.

4 Likes

Regretting Motherhood is a "kindle book of the dayā€ that caught my attention. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll like it but the bookā€™s description intrigues me.
ā€œ A provocative and deeply important study of womenā€™s lives, womenā€™s choicesā€”and an ā€˜unspoken tabooā€™ā€”that questions the societal pressures forcing women into motherhoodā€

1 Like

@88jm19 That sounds intriguing!

1 Like

The Cherry Robbers by Sarai Walker. I mostly liked her last book Dietland, which got a lot of acclaim, but I had some qualms about it overall. I think her new novel is much more developed, subtle, and gorgeously written. Basically a gothic-ish family saga. Itā€™s long and not a ā€œpage-turnerā€ and yet I read it more quickly than most books I encounter these days. definitely a recommend.

Just finished The Last Thing He Told Me after reading about it on this thread. I liked it but thought the suspenseful part ended fairly abruptly. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll watch the movie.

2 Likes

Last week I read Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel and The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. Both are totally different kinds of books, but I thought they were great summer reading.

2 Likes

I read it recently. There were a few GIANT hole plotsā€“things that just couldnā€™t happen. It was a good quick read though.