One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I thoroughly enjoyed The Seed Keeper by Diane Wilson, a rich story of difficulties suffered, and traditions revered, by a Dakota family of Minnesota.

I finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue last night and oh my gosh, was it good! So imaginative. Maybe a tad wordy but well written so not boring wordy. Really good book. I could see it as a movie definitely.

5 Likes

If youā€™re looking for a beach read, I suggest Julie Clark, The Lies I Told. Itā€™s full of twists and unexpected turns. I tend to go between literary fiction and beach reads or less serious fiction. For my next read, I just ordered this from Amazonā€“After Lives by Abdulrazak Gurnah. I heard the author on NPR and ordered the book immediately.

5 Likes

I can be very influenced to choose a book by hearing an author on a podcast!

2 Likes

ā€œThe Price of Timeā€ - by Edward Chancellor (author of ā€œDevil Take the Hindmostā€)

A NY Times ā€œNotable Book of the Yearā€

Hereā€™s a quote regarding the Federal Reserve Board: ā€œSo far, each step weā€™ve taken on this new road to serfdom has been incremental and justified on the grounds of expediency. Little thought has been given to the general direction in which we have been travelling. There is no grand master plan, unlike in Marxism, to concentrate minds. Rather we have blundered - to use Hayekā€™s term - into greater government control of the economy. And the more we blunder, the more the system appears to fail, which in turn justifies further interventions.ā€

I purchased The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek when I saw it was on sale as a Kindle book today. Iā€™m always looking for a good book and thought Iā€™d mention itā€¦and Dolly liked it too!

2 Likes

If youā€™re interested the author of this book has started a GoFundMe to rebuild libraries in Kentucky that were wiped out by flooding from Troublesome Creek (a real creek) and other waterways in Kentucky. Letcher Co. Public Libraries Damaged By KY Flood, organized by Kim Michele Richardson

5 Likes

And thereā€™s a sequel - The Book Womanā€™s Daughter. Enjoyable but I didnā€™t like it as much as the original.

1 Like

Iā€™m reading that now. Taking me a while to plod through itā€¦

Also reading The Latecomer by the author of The Plot.

1 Like

Just finished West With Giraffes from recommendation in this thread. Wow! It made a 5 hour car ride go so quickly. I love it when an author takes a random historical newspaper article and turns it into a great story.

5 Likes

I am a mystery series hound and I just discovered Abir Mukherjeeā€™s Wyndham/Banerjee buddy series (first book: A Rising Man) set in Calcutta in 1919. Well plotted, well-written, and very atmospheric. The narrator is a British policeman who chooses a Calcutta assignment after losing everything in WWI. The author creates a protagonist who is ironically self-aware of the contradictions and injustices of colonial administration and the impending demise of the Empire.

5 Likes

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. A book I will not forget.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been in junk sci-fi mode for summer. John Scalzi has been a find for me, especially Redshirts. On a starship quite similar to the Enterprise from Star Trek the ensigns are painfully aware of what happens to whoever goes on an away mission with the top officers.

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the book yet (sorry, Iā€™m not adhering to the thread title), but another interesting sounding book is on sale today as an Amazon kindle deal of the day ebook ($2). It is Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert Sapolsky. I may not read it for awhile (it sounds like a behemoth of a book), but at that price, Iā€™m adding it to my kindle library.

1 Like

Redshirts is one of his best. Iā€™ve never met a Scalzi book that wasnā€™t enjoyable, though too many in a row is a little bit like eating too much candy.

Edit my junk sci-fi for the summer has been making my way through all The Expanse novels. While some are better than others, I think every novel in the series has had something that made me sit up and think and wish I had written that bit.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on that book.
Just added it to my kindle, too.

1 Like

What Unites Us by Dan Rather is on sale todayā€¦kindle price $2.99. This is a timely book.

2 Likes

Oops, wrong spot.

This is me, most days.

15 Likes

Same!!!

I literally look around of what I could be doingā€¦.and then I see a pile of books or my kindle and say, ā€œLife is short. Iā€™m reading bc thatā€™s what I feel like doing!ā€

2 Likes