One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Just finished “By Her Own Design: A novel on Ann Lowe”.

A granddaughter of slaves, grows up to become a dress designer to the social elite, including wedding dress of Jackie O.

Highly recommend.

I loved this book!!

4 Likes

That’s on my "Want to read " list!

1 Like

Five Tuesdays in Winter

I like Lily King’s short stories better than her novels!

2 Likes

Currently reading “When McKinsey Comes to Town”. Very well written and eye opening.

1 Like

I saw the segment featuring that book on CBS Sunday Morning last week. Looks interesting.

1 Like

good summary of book here also - McKinsey & Company cashed in by consulting both companies and their regulators : NPR

3 Likes

I like Lilly King - enjoyed both Five Tuesdays in Winter and Writers & Lovers

1 Like

ITA—her short stories were better!

I just finished Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. It was wonderful. An amazing story.

3 Likes

I really liked that book,

2 Likes

I am almost done with Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. It’s SO good. I stayed up way too late reading. I have read one of her previous book (A J Fikry) and liked it, but this one is much better.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to ask: Was anyone else disturbed by the S&M in Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow? I really enjoyed the book, but this really bothered me and I wished I had known about it ahead of time.

Interesting. I liked them both, but I’d say I liked AJ Firkey better

A J Fikry is now a very enjoyable movie. very true to the novel.

4 Likes

i’m going to re-read it now. It’s been a while since i read this one.

Part of the reason i liked tomorrow…is the genre, i think. I’m a big fan of coming of age books.

1 Like

I saw an interview with Zevin and she wrote the screenplay so I think the movie will be loyal to the book.

Yes, it bothered me too and I don’t think it was necessary for the storyline.

3 Likes

That’s how I felt, too.

I think it was included to show Sadie’s lack of self esteem and to make the Professor even more of a bad guy. It also showed insight into her relationship with the other friends, they knew what was happening (they say later that they saw her wrists were always injured), but didn’t confront her or intervene. It didn’t bother me.

3 Likes

I agree with @kiddie - I felt it gave us some insight into who Sadie was - inexperienced, in awe and in need of acceptance/validation of this person, less than brilliant in relationships - as well as her relationship with the others. There may have been another way to do this, but this gave some color to the character for me.

2 Likes