One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Thanks to all who recommended Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow.

I doubt I’d have found this one on my own.

So sorry when I finished it. Very original.

Keep those ideas coming!

5 Likes

I just got it off the waiting list–looking forward to!

1 Like

I enjoyed it too, and would not likely have found it without this recommendation. I’ve got others by the same author on my waiting list now. I recommended it to my kids who have worked in tech and gaming.

1 Like

I have read several of her other books -this one The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is her other best

5 Likes

@kiddie , was wondering if I should get that one! Thanks for deciding for me!

I agree about Tomorrow… It’s a book I would never have picked up on my own, but I really did enjoy it.

1 Like

I loved The Storied Life of AJ Fikery.

3 Likes

I am almost finished with it… tis a quick and enjoyable read.

If you are interested:

5 Likes

I don’t remember if anyone has mentioned “Lessons In Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus but I just finished and it was great. Story of a female chemist turned cooking show host in the 1950’s. Definitely very feminist, great characters and funny!

12 Likes

I just pulled up this thread to recommend Lessons in Chemistry too. I loved it and even learned a little chemistry too.

6 Likes

I recommended it here in early August; also suggested it for a future BookClub thread selection.

3 Likes

I’m about half way through and it’s a lot of fun. I love the dog!

4 Likes

Finished and continued to enjoy Lessons in Chemistry. A little polemic, and quite unrealistic, but every woman scientist I’ve met from that generation has similar gripes.

Also just finished The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner. (It was a possible CC Bookclub pick.) Sophie a young Irish immigrant decides to be a mail order bride. What could possibly go wrong? A page turner. Fun characters, the big San Francisco earthquake fell a little flat for me.

2 Likes

I always preface my posts here with “I’m not a deep book lover” but when I finish a GOOD not deep read I like to share it.

Just finished this and just really, really warmed up to it.

6 Likes

My high school sophomore will be reading it in his English class this year. I loved it when I read it a few years ago.

2 Likes

I am currently reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. It is excellent. Particularly if you have any interest in video games/video game design (I don’t, still loving it). Great character development and a lot of 90’s/early 2000s nostalgia.

Just saw that it was mentioned above. I agree with others…great read!

8 Likes

I just finished Elizabeth Strout’s Lucy by the Sea and found it deeply poignant. We hear about a lot of characters from previous books, so I wouldn’t recommend it as an intro to this author, but if you like the Lucy Barton books, this is for you. (Olive is mentioned in passing!)

10 Likes

I just finished Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and I loved this book. I don’t think I would have found it on my own and I’m so happy I saw it suggested here and picked it up.

10 Likes

I read Lucy by the Sea as well. My daughter bought a signed copy for me.

I love the ambiguity of the relationship- until it becomes clearer!

The daily routine of walks is still a habit for me from lockdown, and I walk by the ocean, so the book was resonant, along with all the reminders of what we all went through (sanitizing mail and groceries!).

6 Likes