One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I read the first chapter and for the first time felt sort of irritated by her characters and voice. Then I started compulsively reading a romance/mystery followup novel to a fantasy series I love, but I will get back to it! Looking at the list of Tyler’s novels I realized I have somehow missed the last two. I used to get one for Christmas every year.

I have had the experience of feeling her character voices sometimes feel anachronistic, especially younger people, so I did struggle a little with the first chapter, but then she goes back through the past and that smoothed out for me.

2 Likes

Read Lucy by the Sea, having enjoyed the first two (at the recommendation of those on this thread.) It did not disappoint.

If you liked the first two, get this one!

5 Likes

I’m reading a book that’s hard to categorize. The book is The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill. It’s a mystery (four strangers sitting at the same table at the Boston Public Library reading room hear a blood curdling scream—a woman is killed). Who did it? At the same time it’s a book about writing a book. It’s so unlike most mysteries (I read lots of mysteries)—I am really enjoying it.

6 Likes

I just put a hold on it - I am a sucker for a library based story and Boston Public Library even better!

2 Likes

I recommend this book, Ejaculate Responsibly: A Whole New Way to Think About Abortion by Gabrielle Stanley Blair. It makes a fascinating case for reframing our thoughts concerning unwanted pregnancies.

3 Likes

Whoa that’s good to know. Thanks!

Unthinkable: Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy by Jamie Raskin is a ‘kindle deal of the day’ book today ($2.99). I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

@88jm19 I am very interested in Rep. Raskin’s book but emotionally it must be a difficult read.

2 Likes

Just finished “Killers of A Certain Age” by Deanna Raybourn. Story of 4 women in their 60’s who are retired spies/assassins. So entertaining, I was laughing out loud. Great characters. I am hoping she writes a sequel. Easily one of my most enjoyable reads of 2022.

10 Likes

A friend - who is also a librarian - has also highly recommended Killers of a Certain Age. She too mentioned the humor.

1 Like

Just finished The Personal Librarian. It’s historical fiction and very enjoyable.

9 Likes

Just finished Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel. Like all books about time travel it’s sometimes hard to wrap your head around it, but in the end I thought it came together nicely. It had a lot of the same themes as The Anomaly (and indeed they refer to something in the novel as "the anomaly pretty regularly.) Lots to think about and many nice quotable quotes. (I liked it better than Station Eleven, and will be looking for her other books.)

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Killers of a Certain Age, too. It wasn’t exactly what I anticipated, but it was a great ride. I could see it as a fun movie.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s heartbreaking but also uplifting.

1 Like

Just bought Killers of a Certain Age based on all the positive comments here—looking forward to reading it. I’m a big mystery fan and finished the newest Michael Connelly book in his Harry Bosch series—Desert Star. Bosch teams up with Renee Ballard in this latest book. It was a great read. There’s a surprise here.

4 Likes

I read the latest Harry Bosch recently too. There is a surprise. I’m looking forward to the next season of the Harry Bosch show too.

2 Likes

I just finished Kristin Hannah’s book Winter Garden. What a beautiful and amazing book. Just Wow.

There’s nothing particularly heavy or intellectual about them, but I always look forward to each new book that comes out in “The Ladies #1 Detective Agency” series. There was a short-lived series on HBO maybe 15 years ago based on the first few books. It’s about a detective agency in Botswana run by a woman and her business partner. Very light-hearted, pleasant, and about as Hallmark-y as you can get. I’ve also taken a few trips to Southern Africa, and the way the books are written are very nostalgic.

The last one, “A Song of Comfortable Chairs,” came out recently and I read over a 3-4 day span. It makes more sense if you start the series from the first book, though.

8 Likes

I have not read this thread so I hope I’m not duplicating. I have read a number of very good books over the last year but the best book I’ve read in the last 10 years or more is A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Tony Marra. The writing and the crafting of the novel is just masterful. It is set in wartime Chechnya, so there is nothing happy about this book. But, I was blown away by this book. As were other: NYTimes, and NPR among others.

Sorry. Should have searched first. Looks like I was duplicating.

2 Likes