One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Oooh, thanks all! Read Killers of a Certain Age and Dark Matter but am off to check out the others.

I might’ve already read some. I am simply awful about titles and even authors. I will be reading a book I’m highly anticipating, and get three chapters in and realize I’ve already read it.

My go-to is Stephen King - I can devour even The Stand (the author’s cut, which I think is a gazillion pages longer than the original) in one sitting.

You couldn’t pay me to read a scary book but I hear How to Sell a Haunted House is great.

3 Likes

A couple that fit “dystopian” that I read several years ago. Although I fear they might hit too close to home now.

• The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047 by Lionel Shriver

• The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

2 Likes

Even better - my secret shame is a prepper mentality that I cannot shake, always fearing the end of the world.

Wow you are a fast reader if you can do The Stand in one sitting! That has always been my weakness too - staying up until 3 to finish I book that was hard to out down. Don’t have that same strength these days though, lol.

1 Like

Just finished Young Jane Young while waiting to get off the waiting list for Gabrielle Zevin’s most recent book. I really enjoyed it, with some reservation. The Mom was little over the top, the email portion of the book irritated me, I ended up charmed by Choose Your Own Adventure. (My kids went through that phase too.) But I liked how everyone (almost) ends up owning their mistakes and I think learning from them.

4 Likes

I’m currently reading Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. So good that I’ve started eyeing Young Jane Young also. Nice to see your rec.

I’m also eyeing Zevin’s Elsewhere. It was listed in TIME magazine’s "The 100 Best YA Books of All Time: The 100 Best YA Books of All Time | TIME

(I really enjoyed Zevin’s The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry along with its CC Book Club discussion.)

4 Likes

Also reading Tomorrow… and enjoying it very much.

5 Likes

I just finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell fame). Not sure it’s been mentioned here before. Took a little work to get into it, but then I liked it very much!

I felt the same way with that book. Generally I like character aspects of book better than scenery/descriptions, so I almost gave up. Glad I stuck with it.

1 Like

I’ve taken advantage of the free trial offers of Kindle Unlimited. It wasn’t hard to cancel.

1 Like

I just finished Tom Lake, Ann Patchett’s latest. I think it may be my favorite of her books that I have read and that is saying something considering how much I loved The Dutch House and These Precious Days. Have also read Bel Canto and Commonwealth. I was lucky to attend her local book event on Monday night before she took off on her book tour and her wonderful presentation may have made me love the book even more.

11 Likes

Thanks for the tip about Tom Lake. Love her books. I’m #113 on the library hold list.

Reading Hello Beautiful right now.

1 Like

You haven’t read my two favorite Ann patchett: State of Wonder and her memoir about her friendship with Lucy Greely Truth and Beauty.

I just finished Romantic Comedy (Curtis sittenfield) on audiobook and while it’s no masterpiece it’s very satisfying. Thanks yo whoever recommended it.

I also listened to Daisy jones and the Six on audiotape and thought it was very well done but I had some issues with the book itself (potential spoilers below).

I thought the book overall portrayed “addiction lite” - I kept waiting for horrible deeds, devastating setbacks, relapses, betrayal, rock bottom. While I was relieved none of that happened really I did feel it didn’t adequately portray the realities of addiction - that one stint at rehab was sufficient and never again - even the depictions of Billy’s urges were unconvincing. But overall I enjoyed the book more because of this so I can’t really complain!

2 Likes

I liked State of Wonder, except it makes two moves at the end that made me want to throw the book across the room. (Don’t tell Ann Patchett because I otherwise adore her books.)

I’m currently reading “Sisters of the Lost Nation” by Nick Medina and am finding it hard to put down. The story is a mystery which takes place on a reservation for Native Americans. He has a second book coming out in 2024 and I will definitely read that, too.

2 Likes

Just finished " Drive Your Plough Over the Bones of the Dead"- really beautiful, poetic novel - a mystery about an elderly woman in Poland and several deaths in her village.

It interweaves the poetry of William Blake and interesting philosophical concepts about nature, animals, compassion. By Olga Tokarzuck.

2 Likes

We read that for a book group and every one of us hated it. (proves once again how different people like different books)

1 Like

So interesting! It definitely wasn’t light reading, lol.

It was highly recommended by Pádraig Ó Tuama, host of my favorite podcast, " Poetry Unbound." He’s an excellent poet and appreciator of other poets - so I think his ringing endorsement kept me going through the book.

That being said, the book made me think again about becoming a vegan! lol

I just started reading Broadway Butterfly, which is a mystery novel based on a actual murder case from the 1920s. Sara Divello, the author, is a friend of my daughter’s. If you are a mystery lover, you’d enjoy her Facebook interviews with mystery authors–Mystery and Thriller Mavens.

4 Likes