One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I loved The Thorn Birds as a teen when it first came out. But having spent much of my professional life dealing with clergy sexual abuse and its victims I don’t think I could read it again. It seemed so romantic back in the 70s. And it’s just wrong.

5 Likes

The Plot and The Last Thing he Told Me are easy fun reads. Small Mercies was a page turner as well.

3 Likes

Small Mercies was Dennis Lehane at his best. Great read–but really disconcerting!

2 Likes

“Born a Crime” by Trevor Noah. I understand it’s even better on audio as he is the reader.

4 Likes

We listened to Trevor read his story on our trip out to Maine last summer, so enjoyable and eye opening.

5 Likes

I just finished Ann Patchett’s novel Tom Lake. Really liked it–fascinating characters, and great writing as always. (I will add that in a couple of books she made late moves with characters that seemed wrong to me, but this one didn’t do that at all). In some ways maybe my favorite of hers. A lot of heart. Also, I need to go read Our Town now, which, believe it or not, I’ve never read or seen.

7 Likes

I couldn’t see where it was going… it was very pleasant - that’s the best I could describe it - like listening to your favorite aunt tell a childhood story, which I guess is what the book is and felt kind of meh about it. After getting through the whole thing I decided I liked it after all. The story came together really nicely in the end.

3 Likes

I think it is definitely more of a journey vs goal kind of book. I loved the characters, and the cherry orchard, and found the back story compelling.

3 Likes

Been listening to Meryl Streep narrate, audio book, distracted by her skills as narrator.

1 Like

Interesting & appreciated - I don’t listen to audio books, but had considered listening to this one because of Meryl Streep.

1 Like

That IS interesting. I’m not an audiobook person either. I don’t want my reading mediated by someone else’s intonation, and I imagine Streep would definitely want to own her characters.

Please note: not a denigration of audiobooks or those who listen to them. Just a personal preference.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of audiobooks, but more because I just take in information that effectively. I do like memoirs read by the author though!

1 Like

I enjoyed listening to her - it was very nice and her voice not so distinguishable that it got in the way of letting me imaging the characters. This is the trouble I had with Tom Hanks in Dutch House, it eventually I got used to it. But she is NOT a voice actor. That’s for sure.

3 Likes

I am listening to Tom Lake now. While Meryl Streep is more than fine I don’t think she’s the best narrator. I like her better than I liked Tom Hanks for Dutch House though. Bring an actor does not make you a great book reader. My main problem though is that while I’m reserving judgement on Tom Lake until I finish it, other than State of Wonder and Truth and Beauty - both of which I thought were truly great - I don’t think Ann Patchett is really that good. I like her books fine but they aren’t as good as they’re supposed to be. I’ve never read Bel Canto though which I understand belongs in the great column.

1 Like

I picked up “Stay True” by Hua Hsu on a whim and was blown away. Beautifully written, it’s a memoir about friendship, being Asian in America, the process of becoming oneself, and grief and loss. My guess is that it would be more appealing to the CC crowd here than the general population, in part because of the subject matter but also because of the life of the mind elements. Not surprisingly, it has been highly acclaimed.

8 Likes

I heard the author on NPR a few months ago and immediately bought the book. It’s next up on my reading list.

1 Like

Got Stay True today (ebook) based on your recommendation - loving it (almost finished).

2 Likes

I just finished Yellowface. I kind of got tired of it half way through. To me the story just kept going in circles. Did anyone feel the same way?

1 Like

Thanks so much for this recommendation! I just finished Fellowship Point and loved it!

4 Likes

I’m changing my first post impression about Meryl Streep reading Tom Lake, I’m listening more closely, learned I can’t be distracted while listening, and think she is doing a superb job. I can’t help thinking she is the mother of three girls, and how the story must resonant with her own life! I love the depiction of the three sisters, and their relationship with the mother.

4 Likes