One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just checked out the Zig Zag Girl. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

I’ve read all of the Ruth Galloway series. It took a bit to engage me (the tense is not one I typically choose), but the characters drew me in.
She’s said the series is complete.

I just finished Ten Things That Never Happened by Alexis Hall on audio. The narrator has the perfect Liverpudlian accent and the book is so much fun with just enough pathos to make it all work. Fake amnesia trope and a nice slow burn.

2 Likes

I read Ordinary Grace a couple of years ago and apparently I liked it, because I gave it five stars, even though I thought it started off slow and I disliked most of the characters. It’s weird though, I remember absolutely nothing about it. At least I remember This Tender Land, which I think we discussed in the CC Bookclub.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh!!! I just checked my library consortium and one of the libraries has all of the series!!! I will be sure to check them out after the first of the year!!! This normally never happens. So many of the books mentioned on this list are just not available in our library group. One of the frustrations of living in a small town!

6 Likes

I’ve read all of Elly Griffiths books. I hope she will come back to Ruth at a later date. She my favorite of her characters. I agree that it does seem fairly wrapped up but people’s (characters’) lives move on so maybe she will come back and check in.

I will read her other books too but the Magic Men and the one with Harbinder just aren’t quite as interesting to me as Ruth.

3 Likes

I agree. I like the Ruth Galloway series the best although I’ve made my way through the others.

3 Likes

Based on comments here, I put The Crossing Places on hold at my library last night. First in line, so I picked it up today. This is the right one for starting out, right?

2 Likes

Yes, you are in for a treat if you enjoy the genre.

3 Likes

If you have Kindle Unlimited The Crossing Places is free.

1 Like

I loved that series!

1 Like

If you liked the Donner party book, I would recommend The Children’s Blizzard by David Laskin to you. It’s a non fiction book about a terrible storm in the Great Plains in 1888.

3 Likes

“Liked” might not be the right word, but it is gripping. Not sure I want to read any more about children suffering, but I’ll add that one to my list for a later time. This one is all I can “digest” right now.

3 Likes

Understand. I went through a phase several years ago where I had an interest in reading about mishaps while adventuring and various tragic events. The Perfect Storm, Into the Wild, Into Thin Air, a couple of Little Bighorn books, etc. We had a subscription to Outside magazine for a while and maybe that’s where I got my book recommendations.

Though, the Perfect Storm led me to reading a couple of Linda Greenlaw books. I thought I remembered that you like one of her books? Hers were funny and not tragic.

Love Linda’s books and highly recommend them. :lobster:

1 Like

The Wager is the best book I’ve read all year – and I’ve read about 100 books this year so far. My husband loved it as well.

6 Likes

Love this kind of recommendation! Just added it to my local library Hold list (overdrive/Libby for my kindle)

1 Like

I hope to give The Wager as a “New Year’s” present :slightly_smiling_face: :+1::+1:

1 Like

I’m reading Lisa See’s Lady Tan’s Circle of Women. Historic fiction that’s set in China. What a great story–amazing research on the author’s part. I’m nursing a cold and spent most of the day reading.

5 Likes

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I recently read The Sentence by Louise Erdrich for a book club. I probably wouldn’t have picked it up otherwise, but I loved it. Such compelling characters, and it was beautifully written.

8 Likes

I read You Are Here by Karin Lin-Greenberg for a book group and really liked it. Everybody in the group did also. One of those where after you finish, your mind keeps going back to thinking about it.

3 Likes