One Trimester Later: An Update From A Certain Knox College Freshman

<p>First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here at CC. </p>

<p>It has been quite a while, since most of you have heard of me. I've only given two CCers updates, so I know many may be wondering how Knox is. Well, I officially finished my first trimester, and I'm back in Georgia for six weeks. </p>

<p>Academically, Knox is great! I loved most of my classes. I am expecting two A's and one B, but what I've learned about college is that it's hard to know your grades because professors never tell you. I took Gender on Film (freshman preceptorial), The Holocaust in Film and Theatre, and Contemporary Social Issues. I had a terrible Holocaust professor, but got through the class. It was pretty intense, no syllabus...we had a 10 hour Holocaust documentary the first weekend of college (not in English), etc.</p>

<p>I really love my sociology professor, and I'm taking her Sociology of Gender class next term. She is a visiting professor from Macalester, and she is fabulous! She is actually a pretty hard grader though. What I learned about college (Knox specifically) is that there are very few tests. I only had two in my sociology class (midterm/final), and that's it for the whole trimester. I know a lot of people who had zero finals, but just final papers instead. Anyways, I've done really well at Knox, and I'm proud of myself. Along with the other Sociology Gender class, I'm taking Social Movements and the Foundations of Theatre and Drama next term. :)</p>

<p>Socially, I wish I could say the same. I really do not think I fit in at Knox. I would categorize Knox in three ways: nerds, potheads/hipsters, and athletes/jocks. I know this is very general, and not everyone fits into these categories, but that's how I would place Knox students. I cried so much throughout the term. I did have a single, but I just didn't connect with anyone.</p>

<p>Knox is half the size of my high school, and before I came, I was the one who made my Knox Class of 2016 Facebook group, and it really did screw me over. Everyone knew who I was, and all the "close" friends I made prior to campus were fakes when I arrived. I did try out for all the plays, but did not get into any. I didn't join any clubs, but did get involved in a Galesburg Public Library Halloween event. I talk to peers in class, but besides that, I do not have much contact with them. I have ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner all by myself several times, but when I see someone I know, I do sit with them. I wouldn't say I have any true "friends" though. </p>

<p>When I first got to Knox, I got three dirty looks and a laugh directed towards me. People have been nothing, but unfriendly. The whole Midwest is friendly saying didn't hold true at Knox, but Knox isn't the whole Midwest of course. When we went to Iowa, everyone was friendly! </p>

<p>All the parties are at the frat houses, which I hate. Around 30% are involved with greek life, but since Knox is a small school, the presence is big. I did have a work study job 4 hours a week, but for scheduling matters, I will not be working there next term. Also, Galesburg isn't the best "college" town. There was a shooting by campus at a gas station a couple weeks ago, and my coworker (19 year old student) died in a drunk hit and run, while she was walking home at 3:30AM with a group of friends. Half of the kids at Knox are from the Chicago 'Burbs, and a good portion do go home on the weekend.</p>

<p>I will say that Knox is a very liberal campus, but in my opinion, it is not very accepting and open minded at all. The "Knox Bubble" is huge and gossip is like high school. My suite is co-ed and a suite-mate who complained daily how everyone thought she was a lesbian had the nerve to tell me "When are you going to come out of the closet? Everyone already knows you're gay." I'm not even gay, and these are the type of comments why I left the Bible Belt. </p>

<p>Transferring is something, which I have thought about. I am going to give Knox a year no matter what, but this is a serious consideration. I'm just not happy there and if I'm going 30k in debt for this school, I could have stayed in Georgia and hated it too, with much less debt. I love the school itself, just not the people. I love the trimester system, the academic calendar, the open curriculum, and how everything is set up. I know I've only been there two and a half months, so I'm optimistic about next term. I will def try to join some clubs, and maybe I'll meet some new people with my new classes. I do not want to transfer, but I just want to be happy for once.</p>

<p>It hurts to know how much I researched college and to know the end result, but I have no regrets about how I went about the process. I do think if I didn't pick the college the first time that I wouldn't apply again. I have thought about transferring to New College of Florida, since they have an even more open curriculum, no foreign language requirement (at Knox I'd have to take French for a year), no greek life, better weather, and it's an hour from my grandparents (no family in the Midwest). Besides New College, no idea where else I'd look into, and NC may be too hippy. Also, Knox isn't the easiest to get to. It was a pain flying home. But most transfer applications are due Feb-May, so I would have to make a decision quickly. It's just hard to know, but when do you know if a school is for you or not? I know some students who feel the same way and one girl is not coming back next term.</p>

<p>Financially, my parents can afford Knox, and even out of my 13 acceptances, only 4 were really affordable, hence why I applied to so many colleges. So that's something to take into account, also my low test scores. I do not want to transfer junior year because I want to study abroad the whole year, so it's pretty much sophomore year or never. I am def more of an East Coast person, not that fond of the Midwest. I think I would have fit better in the Northeast, but don't really know where to start in the transfer process. Like I said, I don't want to. So, we'll see. My parents do not know I am unhappy (they have hints), but my friends do. As soon as I got off the plane, my mom and two year old sister were wearing Knox t-shirts, while my dad was hating on Knox as soon as I got off the plane. </p>

<p>I was unsure if I should post this on CC because I know I'll get a lot of "I told you so's," so don't be too hard on me :)</p>

<p>Six weeks sounds like a really long break between terms- i know my oldests school had about a month winter break , but that also included Paideia, which was an opportunity to take seminars or teach a class yourself!
What are you planning to do/ what do other students do?</p>

<p>The long break was one of the pro’s when I got admitted to Knox, haha. Knox has a unique 3-3 calendar, so most of the breaks are different. All of my friends have different breaks.</p>

<p>I honestly am just going to relax. I know a lot of students who are doing the same, but some students already had jobs prior to Knox, and are working their old jobs during the break. The time I would find a job, I wouldn’t be working very long before I would have to quit. I do plan on looking into a summer internship though.</p>

<p>EC, first of all, congratulations on your academic success in college. I remember from your earlier threads that you worked hard in high school, and your grades indicate that you are doing the same in college. The first semester can be really challenging for many students, but you are focusing on your coursework and connecting with your professors, even if other aspects of your college are stressful or disappointing. Good for you; your priorities are in the right place.</p>

<p>As far as the fit and feel of Knox and your connections with other students, I think if you give it time you’ll find your people and get settled into your new environment. You seem quite the individual, and it’s likely you’ll find others with similar minds and outlook in your classes rather than in Facebook groups or among casual acquaintances. Quality relationships take time and effort to build.</p>

<p>Best of luck and best wishes to you.</p>

<p>“It hurts to know how much I researched college and to know the end result.”</p>

<p>Lots of freshman experience a sense of letdown (or worse) around Thanksgiving, when they realize that they school they chose with so much hope and care is not a perfect fit after all. But it’s still too soon to write off Knox. Somewhere on that campus are the people like you - you just haven’t found them yet. Join a couple of clubs when you get back on campus and volunteer to help out with some activities. Trying out for plays was good first try - but finding something that doesn’t require you to compete for ‘admission’ would be a better starting point. Take some ‘fun’ classes where you can interact and meet people - athletics, arts, etc… Just decide that you aren’t going to think about transferring yet, because it will prevent you from investing fully in the people and the place.</p>

<p>If you still feel the same way by the end of the year, then by all means transfer.</p>

<p>early_college, I’m so sorry to hear that things have not turned out at Knox the way you had hoped they would. Do give it more time but keep your grades up in case you do decide to transfer. I remember that Georgia College seemed like a potential good fit and was instate. Hope things improve socially for you at Knox. That’s a very important part of a succesful college experience. Good luck and hope you enjoy your long break at home with your family!</p>

<p>Give it alittle more time, it takes at least six months in a new place to find true friends in my experience. Also remember at a small college each year a quarter graduate and a new quarter of the campus arrives, the mix-up of kids changes every year.</p>

<p>M’s mom: With all due respect, I think the advice to “not think about transferring” is horrible. If early college wants to transfer schools next year, he needs to start the transfer process NOW.</p>

<p>Early college, I’m sorry that Knox hasn’t been a good fit for you socially. On the plus side, if you do transfer, it sounds like you’ll have a good college gpa and professor recs, which should help. Good luck and keep us updated!</p>

<p>If you are really considering transfer, you may want to revisit the policies of those schools who had admitted you last year. The smaller schools can be flexible, Generally, schools will hold admitted files for a year, meaning that your previous admission may still be valid. </p>

<p>At the least, those schools will have all of your transcripts and scores from HS and you may simply have to resubmit an application (with a new essay about why you’re transferring) and fees.</p>

<p>This may not address all of your financial issues, as transfer awards can be less than for freshman, but you may want to communicate with any schools that were close runner’s up before your final choice of Knox. The Georgia schools could be the better fit financially, however, which could be easier if you’re considering a full year abroad.</p>

<p>My son faced a similar situation - in boarding school rather than college, but don’t write this off just because of the age difference (he was 16 at the time).</p>

<p>His first semester was worse than miserable. Like you, he was excelling academically, but felt absolutely isolated. He came home at Christmas wanting never to go back. The result was that he spent the entire 3-week vacation writing application essays for other schools. The applications were submitted shortly after he returned to school.</p>

<p>And then things changed. He started enjoying his classes more, and he became involved in an intensely time-consuming extracurricular activity that brought him into contact with like-minded peers. By the time he received the decisions on the applications he’d submitted, he no longer cared - NO WAY was he going to change schools!</p>

<p>So, if transfer app’s are due as early as February, I’d go ahead and take a look at what your options are. File the app’s if you need to. But then also follow all the advice you’ve been given in this thread about making an extra effort to seek out activities where you’ll find people you enjoy spending time with. Chances are that things will turn around for you . . . but if they don’t, you’ll have some options.</p>

<p>Thank you for the comments everyone. I appreciate it. </p>

<p>I really do think there are much worse situations I could be in. I know a lot of students who did bad academically at Knox their first term. I have a best friend at Georgia State who got addicted to some hard drugs her first semester, and she’s back at home attending GGC next semester. I much rather be in my situation than vice versa. With my good grades, I will have the chance to transfer if I would like to. If I had bad grades then I’d have less options. </p>

<p>I have worked really hard at Knox, and I am really proud of myself. Like I’ve said, I love the school itself. It’s not perfect, but the open curriculum is wonderful. I have talked to some seniors, and they have told me if I do decide to transfer, I should transfer sooner then later. At Knox, one class = one credit. You take 3 classes per term, so three credits. You’ll have nine credits by the end of the year, and around 36 by the time I graduate. I did get two credits from APUSH prior to starting. A lot of your credits may not transfer though, so that’s why it’s better I do it earlier.</p>

<p>I know time is what I need. It’s just hard to know when to jump ship. I was only at Knox from September 5th-November 20th, so it was less time then most freshman had at their schools. I like what you’re saying M’s Mom, but some of these transfer applications are due in Feb. So, I would have to make a decision soon. </p>

<p>Georgia College was the only school that deferred and then rejected me. I know plenty of people there, and I think it would be way worse than Knox. Part of the reason I am transferring is socially, and I honestly do not think any instate schools (public that is) would be good fits. Financially, GC costs 13k a year, while I’m paying 8k at Knox (with loans of course.) Also, not sure I could even get Hope still since I didn’t start college in GA. I really don’t think it’s a viable option. Also, the academic structure is the opposite of Knox. And I love Knox’s academics. </p>

<p>They rejected me because of my SAT scores, so don’t think they would accept me with them again. I got accepted to schools, which were way higher than GC though, and I submitted my test scores. It’s just that most CTCL’s have holistic admission, while the state schools here don’t. </p>

<p>I do know Allegheny will let me back in without having to re-apply, but Allegheny was not affordable when I got the financial aid package back, not even close. I can try contacting the other schools, but my 2nd choice was Wheaton (3rd Clark) and it costed 3k more a year to begin with, which is part of the reason I choice Knox. Clark would be 2k more with last year’s package. I just think though that if I didn’t pick the college the first time that it probably wasn’t meant to be. Also, my dad will probably make more money this year, which could affect the financial aid packages. GC was the only instate school that I applied to.</p>

<p>What schools are you considering applying to, ec?</p>

<p>New College of Florida. I really have no idea where to look besides that. An open curriculum is a must, but I also would need a school which looks at SATs holistically again and gives good need based aid. But the reason I would transfer is because I don’t fit in. So, having a great social fit would be ideal. I would consider going to the Northeast, Florida, or maybe California. I also want more of an urban or suburban school with no greek life.</p>

<p>I think that since you are happy with Knox academically (and that is a big deal), I suggest that you look inward as to the reasons you feel you don’t fit in socially. This is difficult of course but is something that just about everyone must do at some point in his/her life.</p>

<p>I just don’t feel like I connect with anyone on a personal level. I’ll talk to people in class, but there is never a spark there. I just feel like the people are nothing like me. I don’t have much in common with people besides the fact that I’m liberal too. I just want real friends who I can tell anything to. People in Knox are intellectual, and I do get along with most people in my classes. But there is a big portion of jocks at Knox. I loved my sociology professor, but the class was filled with athletes. The people in my gender (freshman) course were so much better.</p>

<p>Also, the whole facebook group really did hurt me. A lot of upperclassmen were in it, and I did contradict some things they were saying, so a lot of people hated me before I stepped foot on campus. Everyone knows who I am because of the group. I was in the library once printing a paper and this dude knew my name (never saw him in my life). So, my situation is different in that sense. But the gossip about me has gone down a lot, and people don’t seem to talk about my anymore. I actually requested to be in my suite because of a girl who I talked to since April. She wouldn’t talk to me in the beginning of the year, but now she does.</p>

<p>IMO, you should prepare transfer applications and also give Knox a try. If you get in somewhere that is likely a better fit and can afford it, then you’ll be able to transfer. If not or if you decide you like Knox, then you can always turn down any transfer acceptances that you may get and you will have worked to make a place for yourself at Knox if you don’t have any affordable acceptances or if things get better. Doing both is the best way to cover all your bases, I think.</p>

<p>Agree with psych. There is no harm in applying to transfer. At the same time, recognize the missteps you made at Knox. While you are there, join a liberal political club and understand too that listening, more than talking, will likely win people over. Sparks, contrary to what you’ve seen in movies your whole life, are rare. Get to know and appreciate other people and the rest will happen naturally.</p>

<p>Based on your username, I assume that you are younger than the typical college freshman. Is this assumpton correct ?</p>

<p>Small LACS are more like high school than high school with respect to gossip & stereotyping others. Consider transferring to a university.</p>

<p>You see, this is the problem. There are some days when I’m like, “I have to transfer,” and other days when I’m like, “What am I thinking?” This is just so hard. I was thinking if I could rethink transferring after winter term (ends in March) because some transfer applications weren’t due until April/May.</p>

<p>February 15, 2013 is the priority deadline for transfers at New College. But since NC is a public school, I am not sure how the financial aid will be. I am def going to join some clubs at Knox, and I want to be more involved next term. I really think the theatre rejection put a damper on why I didn’t try other things on campus.</p>

<p>I am 18. I made this account when I was 14 when I was considering going to Simon’s Rock. A lot of CCers have been following my story throughout the years, so they know my backstory.</p>

<p>My D1 went to a smallish LAC. She graduated this last spring. She told me recently that her first year she had selected housing that was related to her freshman seminar, and that was the smartest thing she had done. The implication of the housing setup was that the people were interested in exploring their seminar topic beyond just in classroom time. What actually happened is that the smartest, most academically focused students picked that housing option. D was Phi Beta Kappa at graduation, as were several of her friends she met in that initial housing option. So think about where the smart students are on your campus, what kinds of ECs are they doing, etc.</p>

<p>Regarding the athlete vibe (and I read it as a not too smart vibe, in this case, although of course there are going to be exceptions) in your classes is bothering you. Part of that may be your class selections… I have to say that at some colleges sociology is considered an easy major, and thus tends to draw students who are looking for an easy path. That is something to consider as you select classes. </p>

<p>Finally, the Facebook issue. It sounds like some of this maybe you brought on yourself? Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic and starting the group, but maybe you stepped over some boundaries with some of your posts contradicting people, etc. There isn’t much for that, except assuming people will (1) forget over time (they generally will), and that (2) knowing you face-to-face will offset their possible poor initial impression.</p>

<p>It sounds like you could put in the transfer application to New College, but will not actually have to make a decision for a while after that. If I were you I would do that. Just FYI, D1’s boyfriend put in a transfer application from their LAC to Georgetown his sophomore year and was accepted. But by the time he had the acceptance in hand, and when he really sat down and considered what the LAC had to offer, he changed his mind and stayed. So you have that option if your social life picks up or the financial aid is not good, you don’t have to go to New College.</p>