One Trimester Later: An Update From A Certain Knox College Freshman

<p>This 6 week time off is a fine time to knock out those transfer apps.</p>

<p>I am going to try to apply to about five or so schools this time around (if I end up applying). I think I definitely need to apply to schools that are full need and one or two bigger schools. I really only have New College for sure at this point. American and Kalamazoo are also considerations.</p>

<p>EC- glad you have a plan. Don’t let the applications drag on… once you’re done with them, you can refocus on making friends and getting involved on campus when you go back to Knox. Try to put the transfer idea out of your head just in case second semester is markedly better (which for many freshman it is…)</p>

<p>Grinnell is where my son went and it is definitely isolated, one reason I mentioned Goucher, one of the few LACs in/near a city. Two others where my son applied are Macalester and Lewis & Clark. I don’t know anything about Wheaton, though I’ve certainly heard of it. I know two people who graduated from American recently, had great experiences including internships there and found good jobs quickly. Isn’t Kalamazoo in CTCL?</p>

<p>Kalamazoo might be a good choice. It has no greek. It’s not particularly preppy or hipster or really any definition. It’s in a college town so fairly liberal. It doesn’t have a huge sports scene (except for tennis) and the party scene is pretty limited. Very small, beautiful campus tucked in nearby Western Michigan University. It’s quite tough academically. EC, my concern about this transfer thought is that finances were such a huge concern for you and played heavily into your original college search and decision and now you would be a transfer (not an incoming freshman.)</p>

<p>I know SAT scores might not matter as much since they’ll have my fall term grades, but I’m sure they’ll still care about it. My sociology visiting professor is from Macalester, and I know she would give me a great recommendation. I do know Macalester does have very wealthy white kids according to my professor. She asked my class where all our friends went to college, and everyone said state schools. She said at Macalester everyone said other top liberal arts schools. Knox definitely doesn’t have that rich vibe, middle class for sure. Macalester is more urban though. </p>

<p>One of my very close friends/parent on CC has swayed me away from Goucher because she heard from countless parents of kids transferring away from there. I take her advice very seriously. Kalamazoo is a CTCL. It does have a lot of core requirements though, which is something I don’t like. But besides that momofthreeboys is correct: no greek life, no certain type of student, liberal, college town, no huge sports scene, etc. Kzoo also has their unique K Plan, and a great study abroad program, which is something I plan on doing (I want to go for a full year junior year). </p>

<p>At Knox, I would be double majoring in Anthropology/Sociology and Theatre. I would have considered Communications, but Knox doesn’t offer it. I will have almost half of my ANSO major finished by the end of this year though. If I stayed at Knox, I was thinking about going to London for the fall of my junior year (theatre) and Denmark for the spring (sociology). At Knox, financial aid covers study abroad, you just have to pay for living expenses and the flight abroad. So, this is one reason I wouldn’t consider transferring junior year because I want to study abroad then.</p>

<p>Yes, money is a big issue, so that’s why like last time, financial aid packages would play a huge deal. If the money isn’t right then I’m stuck at Knox. My good CC friend suggested that I apply to some of these schools for that reason: [Which</a> Colleges Claim to Meet Students’ Full Financial Need? - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2011/02/16/which-colleges-claim-to-meet-students-full-financial-need]Which”>http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2011/02/16/which-colleges-claim-to-meet-students-full-financial-need) Do any of those schools strike you as a good fit? </p>

<p>For anyone new or interested, these were the schools that I applied to last admission cycle:
Knox College (accepted, attending)
Wheaton College- MA (accepted, 2nd Choice)
Clark University (accepted, 3rd Choice)
Juniata College (accepted, 4th Choice)
Ohio Wesleyan University (accepted, didn’t like the school when I visited)
Earlham College (accepted, hated the visit)
College of Wooster (accepted, terrible financial aid package)
Lawrence University (accepted, terrible financial aid package)
Allegheny College (accepted, terrible financial aid package)
Ursinus College (accepted, terrible financial aid package)
Hiram College (accepted, terrible financial aid package)
Flagler College (accepted, not the best financial aid package)
Lenoir-Rhyne University (accepted, not the best financial aid package)
College of Holy Cross (wait-listed)
Hobart and William Smith Colleges (wait-listed)
Georgia College and State University (deferred and then rejected)</p>

<p>I got 10-15k merit scholarships at mostly every college, but Flagler. Lawrence and Wooster may have been contenders if I would have gotten better financial aid packages. I also applied to Cornell College, but withdrew my application.</p>

<p>snapplefan, interesting choice for first post… :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Consolation, I was thinking the very same thing.<br>
A narcissistic personality thinks: What’s better than one of me? Wait…2 of me.
Haha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My thought as well.</p>

<p>EC…check carefully. Some of those schools that meet full need do NOT do so for transfer students. Some
Schools that meet full need do not accept transfers (e.g. Princeton hasn’t accepted transfers in years). And lastly, the %age of transfer students accepted at these “meet full need”'schools is LESS than their already low %age for regular applicants. Most of these schools are HIGHLY colmetitive.</p>

<p>First of all, I’m not narcissistic. That’s funny, and I don’t even like Snapple. -__-</p>

<p>What does everyone mean by “interesting choice”? Was there something wrong with my post?</p>

<p>EC, do you really want to be the William Huang of Survivor?</p>

<p>Ouch. I will win Survivor, thank you. Sandra won twice, and she never even won one immunity challenge!</p>

<p>@Consolation: Now that was a bit too harsh. You’re communicating with a teenager.</p>

<p>"First of all, I’m not narcissistic. That’s funny, and I don’t even like Snapple. -__- "</p>

<p>Um…We were talking to snapplefan, early_college. </p>

<p>Ooopsie :)</p>

<p>Georgia College and State University (deferred and then rejected)</p>

<hr>

<p>Really?? Did you apply late??? My nephew went to school there - you got into several much more selective schools.</p>

<p>One of the issues in your last round of apps was that you had too many schools you couldn’t afford … did they not meet need, or could you not afford your EFC? Either way, you need to go on the various websites & look for merit opportunities for transfer students. There is no point applying to schools that are going to be unaffordable.</p>

<p>I can understand not wanting to be at a very small school in an isolated area when you are not happy. I went to a small school in an undesirable area once upon a time … I loved it, but I knew other students who couldn’t wait to leave. Different strokes for different folks. Both my kids transferred after freshman year, and both liked their new schools — for D, it was a better academic fit; for S, it was due to a change in intended major (plus, I think he missed our cats!). It’s okay to move on if you really feel you would be better off somewhere else. The key is to make sure you WANT to be at the new school - don’t jump out of the frying pan & into the fire. It would be better to wait if you just aren’t quite sure when the time comes.</p>

<p>By the way, William Huang became very successful because of American Idol, and he made a lot of $$$. So, thank you for the compliment :)</p>

<p>Axelrod, I’m trying to help the teenager by encouraging him not to expose himself to public humiliation. Teens often have poorly developed boundaries when it comes to social media such as facebook and youtube. On the other hand, if he really wants to be on a reality show like Survivor, perhaps he is fine with that sort of thing.</p>

<p>FWIW, I think that if you transfer you should consider a larger, less isolated school.</p>

<p>LOL, just LOL.</p>