Online math help for MIDDLE SCHOOLERS?

<p>I posted in High School Life to no avail. So I’m taking my question here, because UA parents are always so helpful.</p>

<p>My friend’s 5th grade son is planning his next year’s schedule soon. He’s quite smart, seeking acceptance to the IB program, but there is no dad around and mom has trouble with algebra! So I already anticipate problems looming. (no pun intended) I suggested to her that she try to get him in 7th grade algebra, if it looks feasible depending on how he does next year. </p>

<p>I know there’s an online math program somewhere, I used to get emails about it for my own children, but never took advantage of them. For some reason, AIM comes to mind, but when I googled it, I couldn’t find the online math lessons you can pay for (like, $50 or something like that for a one-semester course) which claim to increase the child’s depth of knowledge in particular math areas. This is perfect for this boy’s needs. </p>

<p>Can anyone recommend a website? I’d be so grateful.</p>

<p>Khan Academy. It’s free and has video tutorials on its site covering almost every topic from every math class.</p>

<p>MathVids is a pay site that also has great tutorials, and there is good coverage of all math topics at the K-8 level. The HS topics get a little less coverage and calculus is hit or miss. We felt it was worth the $50 or so to have the extra resource.</p>

<p>Definitely Khan!!</p>

<p>I second the Khanacademy.org suggestion. They also have other subjects besides math. Or textbook websites like InterActMath.com where they show you how to solve different problems throughout the textbook. I would also recommend checking to see what databases your local library offers. Besides basic skills and test prep, they often have homework help sites that could be valuable. (Ours offers a free online tutoring site for example) Depending on where you live they might also have math clubs, like Mathcounts, or other competitions that he would enjoy.</p>

<p>I fourth the Khan recommendation!</p>

<p>Look at Wolfram also.</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>