OOS and Alabama Med Schools

<p>I read somewhere that OOS students who graduate from a college or university in Alabama get preferential treatment when applying to one of Alabama’s medical schools. Does anyone know if this is true?</p>

<p>As a corollary question, are OOS Bama undergrads still considered OOS when applying to Bama’s medical school, or does their four years at Tuscaloosa qualify them for IS tuition?</p>

<p>16</p>

<p>Alabama has two med schools: UAB and USA. USA definitely gives preference to OOS students who attend Alabama undergrads. Not sure if UAB still does. It did at one time. </p>

<p>Being a student at Bama doesn’t automatically give residency. However, there are steps a student can do to get residency. I don’t know how hard that is…I think SEA_Tide mentioned how this is done.</p>

<p>Of course, a student may not want to do that if they still want their residency status in their home state so that they can apply to THOSE med schools and get instate rates.</p>

<p>That said, the OOS Bama students that I know who’ve been accepted to USA SOM were given merit awards that covered the OOS portion.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that ALL US MD schools are EXCELLENT. This country doesn’t have any “so so” MD schools. The education is flat. They all learn the same things.</p>

<p>Thanks, mom.</p>

<p>Thank you also - you seem to know everything about UA! Of all the colleges my S applied to, UA has the most lively and informative forum on this site. It seems to me that parents and students really love UA.</p>

<p>16…
I only know a lot about the med school app process because I went thru that with S2 who is now a first year med student (MS1)</p>

<p>What did S2 major in and is he going to med school in Alabama?</p>

<p>He was a ChemE major and he’s at UAB SOM.</p>

<p>Fantastic!</p>