OOS scholarships?

<p>My son's been admitted and got his initial scholarship offer, something like 12K, but there's no way we can afford it. Might there be more scholarships, departmental or otherwise, available, or is my son out of luck? It looks like a great school in a lot of ways.</p>

<p>My son had 2230 SAT, 3.95/4.47 GPA and is taking about 40 units of community college before he graduates. He applied to the metallurgical engineering program, but that's not a for sure thing.</p>

<p>If anyone OOS has gotten more scholarships later, I'd love to know.</p>

I’m a current Computer Science student at S&T. I don’t know about Metallurgical, but my department has a semesterly scholarship they send out applications for. If you are a Missouri Resident we have the Access Missouri scholarship, but I think that is awarded without application. Might want to call Student Financial Aid sfa.mst.edu about it.

You probably already checked, but if you haven’t go to http://sfa.mst.edu/ftcindex/ and look under the Fianncial Aid section. Our SFA department is really helpful. Also, they don’t advertise it, but if you fall on hard times during the semester and need emergency money to finish out the semester you can go to sfa and they may give you a bit of money. I haven’t personally done it but have talked to them about it out of curiosity.

Thanks, Joshers. We are not Missouri residents, so the costs are a lot more for us. I’ll check out the link you sent. Thank you!

Yea non-resident’s tuition is higher, but compared to Mizzou (UM - Columbia) we are quite a bit cheaper.
Let me know if you have any questions about campus. I was a Resident Assistant for two years and am active on campus.

@sbjdorlo, Did you ever find out about any additional merit scholarships for OOS students?

My son got a few small ones (I’ve forgotten), but Missouri was way out of budget for him, unfortunately. I think they must really focus on locals and in-state students (or OOS students who can afford full pay).

But my son ended up at a great school (University of Pennsylvania) that will be incredibly affordable because of the need-based aid plus his yearly corporate national merit scholarship.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.