Open Letter to MIT Admissions

<p>Dude, just keep your head up and talk to your parents.</p>

<p>If you have to, drag your parents on your journey forward.</p>

<p>

No.
Is working for a year enough to get independent student status? If so, that’s what I would do. When you have **** parents, depending on them financially is not good.</p>

<p>Actually, that’s what I’m doing. Or, more exactly, I’m moving to UK and work until I qualify for fin aid there (I’m another MIT reject). That kinda sucks, when you’ve got the best results in the entire school and from everyone you know, and yet you are the one who has to work hardest for your future, because you were bron to poor/not-very-good parents.
I only hope it’ll bring me satisfaction, when I’ve achieved what I wanted.</p>

<p>No, working for a year isn’t. I’ve been there. :/</p>

<p>Wait until you turn 24, get married, join the military, or get emancipated prior to turning 18.</p>

<p>Getting married is actually a lot of work if you’re just trying to be financially independent, FYI. I know many people (myself included) who have toyed with the idea of getting married because our parents refused to pay our tuition and we discovered that it really wasn’t worth it.</p>

<p>Cheer up, you could have parents who refuse to pay for /any/ school!</p>

<p>There exists an easy and transparent way for admission, but I think there will be more opposition if MIT did this. (Although this would have no popular opposition in countries such as China, Japan and Russia.) </p>

<p>This is the method:
SAT: plus (SAT score divided by 200 minus 3); ACT…
AIME qualifier: plus 3 points
USAMO qualifier: plus 7 points
IMO, … medalist: plus 15 points
Essay 1: -3 to 3 points, Essay 2…
xx Awards: plus x points

Admission cutoff: 50 points.</p>

<p>Which admission method do you want?</p>

<p>^^ Firstly, I’d like to see the SATs re-made. Those tests don’t measure anything.</p>

<p>

Well, that just sucks. I cannot believe that this system is allowed in a, reprtedly, modern country.</p>

<p>Don’t be so quick to say that MIT admissions ruined your life. First, you applied knowing that, even if all 18,000 applicants were straight-A earning Nobel Prize winners who wrote Pulitzer Prize-winning novels in their spare time, only 10% would be offered admission because of limitations of space at MIT. Rejection often has little to do with you as an applicant. Don’t make the mistake of putting all your eggs in one basket (a basket with a 90% chance of breaking, in this case).</p>

<p>Like you, I was rejected at MIT. Like you, I had a horrible family situation and didn’t have the luxury of having a place to feel happy and secure while I studied, like most other students. Like you, I fell in love with MIT and dreamed of going there every day. Like you, I hoped and prayed and dreamed of an acceptance letter, because it would be the ultimate justification of all I had been through, and make everything worth it–all those nights when my only escape from the sound of my parents screaming and fighting and trying to kill each other downstairs was the math problem I was working on or the English paper I was writing. </p>

<p>I can understand why you are mad. I had good grades, research experience, an awesome award for promoting tolerance in the Cleveland, multiple awards for my French horn playing and fought my way to the state-level debate tournament despite my speech impediment from Asperger’s. I rode my bike eight miles every day to the research lab I worked at, because I had no car and no parent able to take me, and I was driven by a love for science. I was self-made. I wasn’t one of those kids with wealthy or competitive parents who had all their opportunities handed to them—I had to strike out and make my own. I thought I was a wonderful applicant. I was wrong–I was rejected at 9 of the 10 schools I applied to. </p>

<p>The only school that admitted me was my last-choice safety school, a liberal arts college four miles from home. I was not going to an awesome, out-of-state national university that would rescue me from the exploding nightmare at home. I was not going to a school with an observatory or a nuclear reactor or an awesome science program or AI research, or that was in a big city with lots of cool things to do and see. I would not be like Mark Zuckerburg. As a computer science major, I would be alone among hundreds of hipstery dance and English majors. I would be alone and probably stuck in miserable Cleveland for four more years. </p>

<p>Sometimes you just need to suck it up and keep working through. Things are never as bad as they seem. If you work hard at wherever you end up going to for your undergrad studies, you can transfer somewhere better or get into an awesome grad school. You can learn anything you need from OCW if your classes aren’t challenging enough. Your professors would love to help you in staring research or doing a project. Just don’t give up, and don’t say you’re going to end up on the street.</p>

<p>You need some tough love so I’m going to do you a favor.</p>

<p>You don’t qualify for financial aid because your parents are rich. You don’t need their money to pay for college. Take out a loan like the millions before you. MIT does not owe you a $50,000+ scholarship to pay for your housing, food, access to a luxurious gym, etc. Did you ever consider some people might need the money more than you do?</p>

<p>If you want an MIT education go on OCW (or MITx). Download the notes, tests, and buy the books. If you want an MIT education go get it. If you don’t, what do you want?</p>

<p>The only thing I agree with you is that you would fit in at MIT. The institute has gone out of its way the past 10 years to accept more rich, entitled brats like you that think the world owes them straight As, a $70k+ job right out of college, all at no cost. I think MIT should send them all back to the Ivy League.</p>

<p>Do you really think writing rants on College Confidential is going to make you happy?What kind of person makes up stories about being homeless to get sympathy on the Internet because MIT didn’t admit them? I pity you so I’m trying to help you. </p>

<p>Do you have any idea how lucky you are? If you spent 10 minutes listing all the things you have to be thankful for you’d be a much happier person.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>[citation needed]</p>

<p>Your post is very silly, to be frank.</p>

<p>MIT is not a social welfare agency.</p>

<p>If you got waitlisted at MIT, I am sure that you got into, or could have gotten into, a lot of other good schools. </p>

<p>It is not MIT’s fault that you for some reason have not been able to work out different academic plans.</p>

<p>As for transparency, in US News, it is disclosed that they have only a 10% acceptance rate. And if you are not a URM, then probably less than that.</p>

<p>And few dummies apply to MIT. So it is obvious that they turn down a lot of qualified people.</p>

<p>You are not the only person who didn’t get into their dream school. Probably 80% of the people on CC did not. </p>

<p>There may come a time in life that you really want such and such job. Be prepared for rejection. The employer has no obligation to give you the job just because you really need it, or really want it.</p>

<p>At first I thought this was a ■■■■■ post… :frowning: Was about to give props, never mind.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You think that just because a kid’s parents are rich they don’t need their money to pay for college? Where do you expect a kid to come up with 50k a year? They aren’t rich, their parents are. Secondly, you can’t even TAKE out a 50k loan without a parent who will cosign it for you. You can take out $5500. There is literally no way for a kid to come up with that much money. The other kids who need it more? Yeah, their parents aren’t rich. But they as individuals don’t have any less money than a kid with rich parents who won’t pay. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh you’re right, it’s not like all MIT admits haven’t spent all of high school getting top grades in very difficult classes, doing science ECs, working, playing sports, etc. about 70 hours a week in an effort to earn admission. It’s not like they have to spend hours and hours and hours studying once they get to MIT, on top of working and doing research. You’re right, they just expect to be handed a job without working at all. </p>

<p>OP, you need a reality check. I’m sorry that MIT didn’t admit you and that your home life is bad, but I don’t see what you think MIT should change. They are a private institution, they are free to admit whoever they want. If you had the stats to be waitlisted at MIT, I’m sure you could get a full ride elsewhere. Take a gap year and work if you must; if you ask for help and provide us with your educational background, I’m sure we will be able to work out a solution for you when you are ready.</p>

<p>hmm, the OP was gone long ago, but this thread is still quite active.</p>

<p>Spend some time at MIT, look up the profiles of older MIT alums, connect the dots. Dumbass.</p>