Open Letter to MIT Admissions

<p>My name says it all. I was just rejected from MIT. I decided to post this after reading a recent thread. I was also a student who was wait listed and then rejected. </p>

<p>I know the admissions committee does not take this lightly. Still, I want to make something clear in this open letter. You destroy lives.</p>

<p>I am on the brink of being disowned. My parents are refusing to pay for college. Had I gotten into MIT, this would not have happened. Instead I am trapped in a continued abusive situation. In the next month, I am at risk of being homeless. I do not qualify for financial aid. I applied to many scholarships and got none. I am lost and stuck in a horrible situation. MIT could have pulled me out. They could have fixed everything just by admitting me. They chose not to.</p>

<p>I know you cannot admit everyone. But if you really cared about the person in that other thread, you would have admitted her. You leave kids stranded in horrible situations. You leave them stranded and hurt their chances of going to college. Why? Why do you do this? There is not just one person in this situation. You do it repeatedly. </p>

<p>It hurts to know that an admissions committee could solve all your problems and have them say that they won't admit you. It really hurts. It isn't pain that can be waved away by someone saying you will do well wherever you go. I might not go anywhere. </p>

<p>What is even worse is there are people who you wait listed, who were clearly qualified, that you did not admit. Couldn't you have admitted a few more? Or admitted those in tough situations where you could solve their problems?</p>

<p>I thought I belonged at MIT. I knew I belonged at MIT. The admissions committee didn't agree. My academic record and activities weren't shabby. I still thought I was good enough to get in. I also had some very specific reasons I am attached to MIT specifically that would give away my identity if I posted them.</p>

<p>I can solve my problems myself. I will. I am hurt but I will move forward. Where or if I go to college does not control my future, I do. Even if I end up on the streets, which seems likely, I will find a way to live and continue improving the world. All I can do is rise up and become one of the best. I will move on. Still, I am angry.</p>

<p>I can't blame the admissions committee for not admitting me because I know I just wasn't good enough. I am angry but I do not want to resent or blame admissions for anything related to my case in particular. It is clear, however, there is a major problem overall. The admissions process is broken. Not because they did not admit me but because it hurts so many promising people and leaves them stranded. Admissions should not be this way. Many students are left stranded every year by admissions and financial aid processes. I want to help fix this process. Unfortunately, I don't know how.</p>

<p>I want to spark a discussion on the problems with the admissions process at MIT and other schools and explore potential solutions to these problems. How can we help people who fall through the cracks of either admissions or financial aid? Why do these people fall through the cracks? How can this be changed while still maintaining an unbiased selection process based on merit? Is the current process unbiased selection on merit? Why are some people accepted and rejected?</p>

<p>Another thing I seek is to make admissions more transparent. We cannot know the problems with the admissions process unless we understand it fully. Right now, it is in the dark. MIT is dedicated to openness and this is why I want to start here. MIT is more open than most schools in its admissions. Still, it is not open enough. A process that changes lives so much should be completely transparent.</p>

<p>I don't want pity. I don't want help. I want discussion. We need transparency and reform. People should not be hurt by this process so badly.</p>

<p>I was also wait listed and received the same news as you. Although I am very sorry for how your parents are treating you, to be completely honest I don’t know how you can fault MIT here. I, like you, felt that MIT was where I needed to be. I was recruited heavily for soccer. I had great grades, cool research, and pushed really hard from all fronts. On my official visit, I just knew it was the right place, and then BAM! yesterday happened. </p>

<p>Sometimes, life isn’t fair. It feels like c***. It’s hard to deal with. But you have to. There is something called fundamental attribution error which is basic psychology, and you are doing it right now. It’s part of human error. Look it up. </p>

<p>I’m sorry for what happened, and I hope you can get your parents to realize how wrong they are being. You can figure out ways to solve this problem. Take a year off, apply again. Go someplace else and transfer. That is what will get you there in the end. Maybe not at MIT, but it will get you to realize you need to persevere and make your own path. You’ll get to the right destination if you look for it.</p>

<p>Now please stop complaining.</p>

<p>Please read my full post. I am angry but I said I am not trying to fault MIT for not admitting me. I have solutions for me and specifically stated I didn’t want help.</p>

<p>I want discussion, transparency, and reform in the admissions process. The details on my situation were to frame where I was coming from, nothing more. Please do not ignore the purpose of this thread. This thread is for discussion of the process, not me or my situation.</p>

<p>Please do not blame MIT for this. Just because you say you aren’t blaming MIT or putting them at fault, you really are trying to. While I sympathize for your situation, you should realize that applying to highly competitive schools don’t always result in the returns you want. There’s risk. If you wanted a safety net, you should have applied to another school.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sounds like you’re blaming MIT to me…</p>

<p>You’re speaking about the people MIT is “leaving behind”. Have you thought about the people that MIT did change the lives of (and for the better)? Each year, there is only room for 1000 students - the school cannot admit everyone. For obvious reasons, they also cannot admit just foster kids, orphans, kids whose parents are refusing to pay for college, etc. There has to be a balance, and some people will be disappointed. Does that mean MIT admissions failed? Of course not. There is always room for improvement and I’m sure everyone on admissions is trying their best every year to put together the best class possible. I can guarantee you that.</p>

<p>Okay, this did not work. Could someone please lock this thread? I should not have included any details of my situation. I should have just asked for discussion about admission.</p>

<p>I do not want my situation to be discussed publicly.</p>

<p>Um don’t blame MIT for your shortcomings that’s completely your fault.</p>

<p>I don’t really understand what sort of transparency you think that the admissions process is lacking.</p>

<p>It’s a fact that not everyone will be admitted - that much is evident from the admit rate. It’s also a fact that MIT doesn’t have 100% knowledge of every applicant’s individual situation. While it’s unfortunate that your life is not going so great due to your rejection, you knew going into the admissions process that there was a large chance that you wouldn’t get in.</p>

<p>What do you think MIT should have done differently (besides ‘admit you’)?</p>

<p>From the CC FAQ:

</p>

<p>Hello, I have a feeling I am the poster you referred to in your original post.</p>

<p>I think iceui2 summed it up pretty well</p>

<p>“Each year, there is only room for 1000 students - the school cannot admit everyone. For obvious reasons, they also cannot admit just foster kids, orphans, kids whose parents are refusing to pay for college, etc. There has to be a balance, and some people will be disappointed.”</p>

<p>Yes, life would be easier if I had just gotten in. I don’t blame MIT for not admitting me though. No admissions process is perfect and I don’t feel entitled to a spot at MIT, no matter what I’ve been through. Truthfully though, I’m not going to stop trying, even if it’s grad school.</p>

<p>I have nothing to feel but grateful toward the amazing people at MIT. They have given me something invaluable, they have given me hope. I’ll get through this, and so will you.</p>

<p>I’m going to share with you my view of life, the place from where I draw my strength. You may or may not wish to listen to me.</p>

<p>You know how sometimes, on a warm day, a cool breeze comes along? It just happens. Or it doesn’t happen. There is no schedule for it, no specific reason, nothing you can do to cause it. It feels awfully nice when it does happen. I don’t deserve it, or not deserve it. I can’t earn it. All I can do is be out there doing whatever I am doing, and enjoy it when it comes along. That is not to suggest you should be passive, not at all. Exactly the opposite. But you should allow life to happen. And have hope, never stop hoping, because hope is our fuel. If you ever want to just talk, please, PM me.</p>

<p>Here’s to many cool breezes.</p>

<p>“You know how sometimes, on a warm day, a cool breeze comes along? It just happens. Or it doesn’t happen. There is no schedule for it, no specific reason, nothing you can do to cause it. It feels awfully nice when it does happen. I don’t deserve it, or not deserve it. I can’t earn it. All I can do is be out there doing whatever I am doing, and enjoy it when it comes along.”</p>

<p>That was beautiful.</p>

<p>I understand what you’re going through (I won’t discuss anything about your family/financial situation), but please do not blame MIT or their admissions committee for your rejection. First you should realize that MIT admissions is need-blind; that means, admissions officers know nothing about your financial status when you apply.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, college (as well as jobs, real life) is extremely competitive, so the top schools like MIT and Caltech have to reject many qualified applicants. I personally know people who have won major national and international competitions and got rejected from these schools. Does that mean they are under-qualified?</p>

<p>In terms of reforming the admissions process, I understand it is continually changing (admissions rates in MIT and Ivy League schools have consistently dropped due to the increasing number of applicants), but I foresee no major “reform” in college admissions. There are flaws, but you have to learn to deal with them. Maybe apply to a couple other schools that offer more financial aid.</p>

<p>MITReject, I’m sorry you feel the way that you do. Turning away good students is one of the worst parts of my job. But we can’t just admit more students (there are only so many beds in dorms and seats in classrooms), and we can’t admit students just to rescue them from bad situations (because in a zero-sum game we would then be turning away another student through no fault of their own). </p>

<p>I wish you good luck, and if there is anything I can do to help, shoot me an email.</p>

<p>Mitreject-is it up to MIT to solve your personal problems? I am sorry that your parents are unrealistic, that is your problem, not MIT’s. You are quite arrogant to think your situation is somehow “special” when 90 % of applicants were denied admission. Are you sure you were more qualified than the other 17,000?</p>

<p>Sorry to be so harsh, but it’s time to face the music. Maybe you didn’t make it into MIT but very qualified students will end up going to other great universities and go on to do great things. What is holding you back? If you can’t do this then you were not MIT material to begin with.</p>

<p>Stop looking back and look to the future. How about MIT for grad school? Time to move on and not be bitter about the past. Be an asset to your future college, it will be worth it.</p>

<p>I think MIT’s admissions process is probably of the most fair of all colleges out there. The problem is, you’re trying to find logic where there is no logic. College admission is indicative of what? That somebody liked your application out of a pool of thousands and thousands of people?</p>

<p>People (and their parents) who get “stranded” by admission committee should, I think, be more prepared to accept rejection, which is highly plausible, even for the finest students. What do you want MIT to do? Give you a hug? Send you a tube in the mail with confetti? Nothing they do will make you feel better about the rejection and the best thing you can do for yourself is to move on and find happiness in life.</p>

<p>I don’t think the OP is even reading these posts anymore, since no responders have actually agreed with him/her. I don’t understand. If money was the issue, you shouldn’t have a problem. Anyone who is qualified enough to be wait listed at the #1 STEM institution in the WORLD, should be able to be admitted to, and receive a full scholarship from, some state school or something. Is MIT the only school you applied to?</p>

<p>Please understand that getting admitted is nit just about being good enough. Many people who are good enough are not accepted. Admissions committees must balance many priorities, including building a an interesting, diverse class. By diverse I mean having different interests, experiences, and potential. You could be nearly identical to someone who was accepted and not get in because they didn’t want two identical people. It is not arbitrary as much as it is challenging. Studying with a diverse set of people is part of your education. As for the original poster, I empathies with you and encourage you to take a gap year doing research or other related work and reapply if you do not have schools you are accepted to that you are willing to go to. I strongly suggest that your parents will calm down after their initial disappointment. It is very common fir top students to get into some top schools and not otters. Some don’t get into any very top schools but do very well at strong schools and enter the top schools for grad school. One thing to consider would be going together for family counseling to help heal the hurts and get everyone on the same team again. If a counselor can help your parents deal more effectively and help you realize you have huge potential opportunities, I think you can get back on track. It may be that the interviewer or committee had slight reservations based on something related to your all or nothing approach. It takes a lot of emotional strength to make it through MIT, and the committee has to make good judgements about things like that. If you are this despondent at not being accepted, how might you react if you fail a class when you are far from home and feeling alone? That is a real consideration, but it is something you can work on with support. Please let us know that you are okay. If you were waitlisted at MIT, you must be extremely bright and have good. recommendations. You have a potentially wonderful life ahead of you.</p>

<p>MIT Reject, I hope you are still reading these posts. My heart goes out to you as my son too was rejected from his favorite university, where he was certain he was meant to attend. As a parent, I don’t understand your parent’s reaction. It is not your fault that MIT rejected you. Thousands of highly qualified candidates get rejected every year, while others are accepted. You’re parents are punishing you, by refusing to pay for any other college, which really makes no sense. Please talk with them - see if you can reason with them, maybe get them to read some of the posts on this site. Admissions decisions are a crapshoot. Amazing students are rejected every year. It doesn’t mean you aren’t amazing…it just wasn’t meant to be. </p>

<p>We keep reminding our son that the majority of highly successful people we know did not attend the most prestigious universities. Most attended very good state schools. They became successful because of who they are and what they accomplished. If you finish grad school someday, no one will even ask or care where you got your undergrad degree. Pick the best fit of the schools that accepted you and keep an open mind next Fall. While it may not have been your first choice, if you embrace your new school, you will likely do very well and have a great career ahead, even if it didn’t start at MIT.</p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.</p>

<p>I am still reading responses.</p>

<p>I was fortunate enough to have attended and graduated from MIT. I worked in the aerospace world for many years and recently retired. I worked along side several other MIT grads and many others from a whole range of schools. While most (not all!) the MIT grads were very good engineers, MIT has definitely NOT captured the market on good engineers. You can get an excellant engineering education from a variety of schools. It seems that how much you put into it to really learn is the descriminating factor.</p>

<p>Two stories:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Two years ago my daughter did not get into her first choice school which also happened to be where my son went to school. Her grades and her SAT scores were better than my son’s. She was devastated and cried for about a week. She had several other colleges that were her second choices. She just finished her sophomore year at one of them and she couldn’t be happier. She made Dean’s list again this semester. My son loved his college but as parents we sometimes wonder if he wouldn’t have been better off to have been rejected and instead went to the same school my daughter is going to.</p></li>
<li><p>One of my son’s friends did not get into a “good” school in his parent’s opinion. They refused to help him with his college expenses. He moved out and went to commmunity college while working at the same time. He has since transfered to a 4 year school and is still working and going to school. He is having a hard time but making it. He also rarely talks to his parents since he moved out. His parents are heartbroken and wish they had never taken such a hard line with him. I hope it doesn’t come to this with your parents. They need to understand that you can get an excellant education at a number of schools and not just MIT. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>It is what you accomplish that defines you, not where you go to college.</p>

<p>Time for you and your parents to move on.</p>