Opinions on Mathematics - Computer Science Major

Yes, he does have acceptances into a some schools, but he really isn’t excited about them unfortunately.

Definitely have him check out the course requirements for the different CogSci tracks - from the way you’ve described his interests, it could be a good fit!

For something even artsier but still computational, there’s also the ICAM major: ICAM (Interdisciplinary Computing and the Arts Major) (VA29) ETA: oh, I see you’re already aware of that one!

Yes…I have looked at the ICAM as a possible path for him! That also seems very interesting and a good intersection of his interests

1 Like

to @momofboiler1 point though - going to where you can’t study what you want is against the academic mission.

Too many kids think - I can only be happy here - when the truth is, they can be happy many places.

But if you’re not studying what you want and setting yourself up for the future, then what’s the point of that?

2 Likes

It was his second choice major so it is something in his wheelhouse. My post was to gather some feedback/opinions on the major to help him with his decision. He is not saying that he can only be happy at UCSD, but of his limited choices, this is his front runner. And there are many more factors that he is considering based in his personality and his high school experience.

1 Like

Programmer here. It doesn’t seem worth going to a school that won’t let him major in his chosen field. I would call that a HUGE red flag. Plus, going to a CA school out of state is around $70,000 a year full pay.

Going through the degree program, I can tell you it’s a very watered down degree. You’ll be surprised how little math goes into programming and coding. There’s so much math cluttering up this degree that you have very little computer-ANYTHING. He’s going to need those CS classes as a foundation of knowledge…and it says plainly on the catalog, he’s not allowed to take them. I would drop UCSD like a rock if I were you. He’d be better off getting a real CS or even IT degree literally anywhere else than paying $70k to go here.