Opinions on schedule to boost GPA

Due to failing one class Spring semester, CS 100, DS is now on academic probation and could lose his Presidential scholarship.

He should have dropped the class, but didn’t; can’t go back but now he needs to boost that GPA.

Since he has pretty much completed all his gen ed courses, this is the schedule we have come up with.

PHYS 126, a pre-req
MATH 238, a pre-req
MATH 301, easy math class, elective
MATH 355, easy math class, Major requirement
CS 102, not required but told it is an easy class and GPA booster, online class

Puts him at 16 credits. IF he is not doing really, really well in MATH 301 or MATH 355, he will drop one of them.

Planning on retaking that CS 100 class in the spring semester with a very light load, and hopefully the GPA will be high enough to get him through .

He originally had MATH 237, Intro to Linear Algebra, instead of 355, but after checking ratemyprofessor for all the instructors, they all had very bad ratings for this class, the one he has had the worst. Looks like it is just a tough math class.

Any opinions?

Does he really want to take all that math? Perhaps he could find an elective that interests him. As for the classes, my son was a math minor at Bama. Took discrete and liked it. Same thing with probability.

If it were me, you couldn’t pay me enough to take a schedule like that . . . but that’s me, not him. If math & science are your son’s strengths, then maybe it’s okay. But if he’s not really confident about all of it, then maybe it’s time to rethink.

The thing about math courses is that even the ‘easy ones’ generally require a lot of homework or at least strongly recommend doing practice problems even if they are not graded. Even for someone who enjoys math, 3 courses sounds like A LOT of work outside of class.

Since the MATH 301 is an elective, I’d probably consider dropping it to be replaced by a 100 level introductory course in an area of interest or something like a kinesiology course.

I don’t have a kid at UA but I thought I read if you got a 3.0 the semester on probation that they let you go to the next semester. So why not have him take 12 credits of instead of 16? assuming he does well it will boost the GPA and let him go another semester.

I see Diff Eq and high Level Stats class on the list. Who said these are easy? What year is your DS that he has completed most of his Gen Eds? Did he come in with a lot of credits?

If he came in with a lot of Gen Ed credits, I would suggest not taking some of the Gen ED credits and taking a Gen ED this fall. PHYS 126 and Math 238 will be challenging enough. An easy Gen Ed would be good.

I am speaking from experience because I transferred from Econ to Engineering after my Freshman year in college at Iowa State. My advisor used my Econ classes to fill in my Gen Eds and that resulted in me taking Calc, Physics, Chem, and Drafting at the same time in the Fall Trimester. Just about killed me AND my GPA for was just above 2.0 with many all-nighters.

That is why I am recommending to my Freshman DD and DS to make sure the scheduled is balanced even if they do not use all of their AP credits, i.e. both got a 5 on AP Calc BC test but still will start with Math 125 (Calc I) and may use AP credit for Math 126 (Calc II).

I think the above course load is WAY to heavy. Might be good to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Graduating is a marathon, not a sprint.

All three of those math classes are very easy to do well in, especially compared to Calc II and Calc III. Each had practice tests that were exactly the same as the actual exam (with different numbers). Even with different professors, the classes are structure to make the grading scale very reasonable. I think it’s a good plan to work on his GPA while not falling too behind in the engineering prerequisites. However, I wonder if it’s worth it to take PH 126 instead of the non-honors version. From what I heard, the honors course has very time consuming lab reports compared to the regular class.
source: physics/math major

The problem is that to get off of probation, the student has to bring his cumulative GPA above 3.0. That may be harder to do if he’s only taking 12 credit hours. No pun intended, but do the math.

I strongly disagree. There are plenty of elective courses this student can take without having to put required Gen Ed credit hours at risk. I second @jrcsmom’s suggestion to look at Kinesiology (KIN) courses, such as golf, swimming, etc. Public speaking (in the Communications dept.) is another option.

And, yes, the courses I suggested are certainly already filled . . . but there will be openings. You just have to check back frequently - and that means several times a day immediately before and during drop/add week.

The CS 102 class is a real easy class, considered an easy A. Biggest problem most seem to have is that it’s so easy the kids don’t put any time into it. It does not meet any requirement for his major, just looking for the GPA boost.

So far he has had a few honors classes and he thinks they have been easier than the non honor versions. I will let him know about the consuming lab reports for the Physics course.

He is starting w/ the 16 credits to allow room to drop if one of them start going south. And yes, it is the overall GPA that is the killer. He could have a 4.0 fall semester and it barely brings up the cumulative GPA. Now school has become an exercise in crunching the numbers.

Yes, it really is ridiculously hard to raise the cumulative GPA, which is quite stressful for the student. Good strategy to have a “cushion” of extra credit hours so that there’s room to drop one if necessary. And, of course, the kid can’t just ignore his requirements - it does him no good to get his GPA up . . . and then have to pay for a 9th semester because he doesn’t have the credits he needs to graduate in four years!

I assume your son is pursuing math and computer science/engineering? I realize that program is very demanding and that the course plan is well-laid out from semester to semester. However, if one F in the beginning computer programming class was enough to put your son on academic probation and put his Presidential Scholarship at risk, and if his current overall GPA is low enough that it would require him to earn a 4.0 this fall to restore his overall GPA to a 3.0, then he might consider taking a semester of at least 15 credits full of liberal arts classes (if he is in the Honors College, then some of those seminar classes) along with some easy (though tedious) computer tech application classes like the CS 102 you mentioned and even a couple of one credit classes (PE and/or service learning classes.)

In addition to this liberal arts heavy semester, perhaps he should think about his choice of major.

I would not presume to say that he is not capable of pursuing the engineering/math majors, but sometimes a student may be successful in an academic area while in high school, and then, once at college, realize that things are quite different. Add in the pressure to keep all of the scholarship money, and the fact that the world keeps telling us that only STEM majors can get good jobs and earn high salaries, it would no doubt be a very difficult decision to change. However, now that there is this pause due to the academic probation, I recommend some soul-searching and some analysis as to what is really going on with grades overall, and, obviously, the failing grade in the computer programming class. By the way, while you mentioned he plans to retake the CS 100 class in the spring, be mindful that his original grade remains a part of his GPA calculation even if he does better the second time.

If your son is still confident that he is on the right path, then that’s great, but I still recommend he use this Fall semester to take mostly non-math, non-engineering classes, even though he has a lot of GE. It has now become a numbers-crunching endeavor, and he must take classes that he knows, without a doubt, that he can get those high grades. Maybe the schedule you described is such a schedule, though I admit that when I see Discrete Mathematics and Theory of Probability described as “easy”, I cannot fathom it (my math obligations in college ended when I completed my year of Calculus, thank goodness.)

Has he considered the possibility of pursuing a liberal arts minor, i.e, communication, English, History, etc)? As an English/Linguistics major myself, I would never describe upper division English courses as easy, and certainly not easy A’s, but a minor in English or communication studies could be very useful to a STEM major. A great weakness among engineers is the ability to communicate with people - a computer engineer who demonstrates interpersonal communication skills and writing skills is a very valued member of any engineering team. Even though you mention your son has many GE classes completed, are there any that might fulfill some of the requirements of a liberal arts minor and, with the addition of two or three more classes, your son would earn that minor as a nice balance to the math/computer/engineering degree? Use the Degreeworks to create a What If plan, to see what courses would be required to complete his current intended major along with some liberal arts minor. That might make it easier this fall, as he takes more liberal arts classes, knowing that he is working towards a minor, rather than a mishmash of courses.

Really what I want to get to is this: do absolutely everything you can to help your son get off of academic probation this fall. If your son does not get the necessary grades to bring his overall GPA up to 3.0, he will receive an email over his winter break informing him that his Presidential Scholarship has been revoked. That email will not offer him any information as to the appeal process (this is a very non-transparent process, much stricter than it has been in the past, and, even when you learn the process, decisions are not made until the spring semester has already begun and so a student returns to classes, to the dorm, and has to wait to find out two or three weeks after the semester has begun whether or not he will be moving out suddenly and returning home. It is extremely stressful for OOS students who depend upon retaining the scholarship to continue at the school. I know of one student who managed to get through this appeal process with an eventual approval, but that student dealt with serious unexpected health issues that led to the deficient grade that led to both probation and revokation, and had at least a hundred pages of medical documentation to prove it. The appeal process was a horrible experience to go through, and there is absolutely no guarantee that it will be approved and that a student will be granted one more semester to make things right.

In addition, at some point later in Spring 2017, if your son participates in the Honors College, and his overall GPA is not 3.3 (even if he restores it to 3.0 this fall), the Honors College will finally get around to sending him an email informing him that he is no longer a member of the Honors College (which requires maintaining a 3.3.) At this point, even if his overall GPA is back up to 3.0, or, should his scholarship be revoked, but he manages to get it reinstated for one more semester as he works, again, to get the grades up, he will lose the benefits of the Honors College, including priority registration for next fall and access to whatever available Honors housing there may be for the following fall semester (if he lives off campus, he will lose priority registration to buy a commuter parking permit, too.) Sure, he can reapply to the Honors College once his overall GPA is back up to 3.3, but that takes time.

Anyway, sorry to be so wordy. I really hope all goes well for your son this fall semester. Encourage him to take advantage of all of the academic help resources on campus, to get a handle on time management, to track his grades all the time, to seek out help from his professors, to be so proactive that he can tell you at any moment just where he stands in every single class. Sure, it’s all his business, his life, and I am no fan of helicopter parenting, but, in this situation, given the financial stakes for all concerned, helping your son as much as he is open to the help is a good thing.

FYI my 4.0 engineering student had a difficult time last semester in Theory of Probability. Might have been the teacher (not sure what his rating was on Rate My Professor) but he had to work very hard to get his good grade.

^agreed. Math 355 is not an easy class according to my math major son.

Don’t take 3 math classes At once.
Is physics 126 a requirement? Did he get a 5 on both segments of physics C?
Definitely include a 100 level seminar in whatever strikes his fancy and a kinesiology class to Balance things out.

@chesterton makes some really good points. We live in Georgia where the Hope scholarship is used by many students and they have to keep a 3.0. It isn’t as easy as it sounds and it can be really stressful on the student. When I suggested 12 credits I assumed that it was just the one class that was the problem and your son was close to a 3.0.
If it were my son I would do what Chesterton suggested. I would rather pay 1 extra semester at the end if necessary than lose the scholarship now and potentially have to pay for 5 semesters starting in the spring.

IF he had dropped CS 100 this would not even have been a concern. The 4 credits in that class killed his GPA. He had A’s & B’s in other classes up until this course. He has done well in the “weeder” courses, but had next to no experience w/ coding and I have been told CS 100 is a weeder as well. Quite of few of his friends dropped it, but due to our lack of understanding on how the Pres Scholarship & federal grants worked re full time status we thought he could at least pull off a C and he could move on.

Lesson learned, but it has become a tough one to now overcome.

We have looked at other classes that were suggested to us to be easier and GPA boosters, but they are all full. From past experiences, these will not open up.

From my understanding, he needs to get a 3.0 this fall semester to continue on to spring even if he doesn’t get the cum GPA over 3.0. If he doesn’t get the term or cum over 3.0, then he loses the Pres Scholarship.

We do not have the funds to pay for any extra semesters, so this is critical. We will look into other classes, that are non math/engineering courses, that would be easy. I will look into Kinesiology. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them here.

This has not been our experience. Starting the first week of August, check for openings at least daily. The second week of August, check several times each day. Once classes start, check every hour (or as close to this as you can manage), including overnight. Persistence pays off.

Yes, this is my understanding also. I believe @chesterton misspoke in suggesting that the cum GPA needs to reach 3.0 in order for the student to continue. As noted above, it can take time to bring the cum GPA back up.

The problem with kinesiology courses is that they’re mostly 1 credit, but 2 hours of class time per week is required. They’re fun and I don’t think it’s difficult to get an A if you show up and do what you’re supposed to do, but an A in a 1 credit class can’t pull the GPA up too much.

I’m another one who would advise not taking 3 math classes at the same time. My daughter was a math major and she would not characterize any of those math classes as “easy.”

Does he have all of his honors college requirements satisfied? Many of the honors seminars are easy As. And I agree with dodgersmom- lots of classes, even popular ones, have seats open up as students switch around their schedules and drop classes right before school starts and during the first week of classes. Also check on the last day for payment of the fall bill - students who fail to pay their bills by that date get dropped from classes, which may open up some seats.

A guaranteed A in a no-homework class does help; it’s an easy add-on :slight_smile:
it’s better to have one semester tuition to pay for, than five semesters… so the course selection should focus on ease of getting an A, not necessarily graduation requirements.

Went in and dropped the one math and added a humanities course, which should be easier. He actually was short 1 credit in humanities, so at least it will count for a requirement.

This course has been full for quite a while, as it is a very popular class. One spot opened up, DS was very lucky!

Thanks to all for the advice.