Opinions on schedule to boost GPA

An EE major student with less than a 3.0 (for whatever reason) at the end of freshman year is going to have a very rough time keeping a scholarship for the remaining 6 semesters.

Delaying CS 100 results in delaying Digital Logic (another course many EE students find challenging in terms of grade). Delaying Digital Logic puts off ECE 383.

I don’t agree with loading up on liberal arts courses. Not all students - particularly those engineer-brain ones - are automatically successful in liberal arts. I do agree with evaluating the choice of major – these are many other choices that are science or math based but do not require programming - especially if it’s retain this scholarship or not finish college. If your student is very strong on math (which I assume to be the case due to your post where those math courses would be easy) perhaps change to a Math major. Maybe Actuarial Science.

" An EE major student with less than a 3.0 (for whatever reason) at the end of freshman year is going to have a very rough time keeping a scholarship for the remaining 6 semesters. "

Yes, we are very well aware of this. It actually makes me ill to think about it. One error on our part and it put so very much at risk.

He was going to double major in math, but now he is dropping that so he can keep his credits down each semester.

The CS 100 - ECE 383 sequence dead ends. There are many future electives that don’t require these as pre-req’s either, so delaying this sequence isn’t a huge deal. I am hoping w/ a lighter load and easier classes in his sophomore year, he will go into junior year w/ a 3.4 cumulative GPA.

Not ideal, but a little more wiggle room. Just working on a personalized flow chart and seeing if it all comes together.

When working on that flowchart, keep in mind that several EE courses only offer one section per semester and you may run into instances where two necessary courses at held at one and only same time in a semester.

@laralei have you considered having him take discrete math 301 before the digital logic class?

From what I have heard, discrete math is helpful in that regard.

One fall back plan in terms of credits might be to get approval to take classes at a local university during the summer. It might give him some breathing room. He might be able to keep his math double that way if he could get approval for a class like real analysis at another university.

I think I have asked this question before, but I don’t remember the answer. Does UA allow grade replacement? If he retakes CS 100 and passes, does that grade replace the failing grade on this transcript impacting his GPA?

UA does not allow grade replacement.

If OP’s son is using AP credit for an easier core type class could he opt now to drop that credit and take the course at UA?

Yes, @AlbionGirl, he could do that. But, as discussed above, there are plenty of “easier” classes he could take without having to forfeit credit that he’s already earned.

" When working on that flowchart, keep in mind that several EE courses only offer one section per semester and you may run into instances where two necessary courses at held at one and only same time in a semester. "

I think he has a very good schedule going into this fall, and I am playing w/ the courses going forward. Checking back a few years and there are quite a few courses where there is only one section available, and some, even though offered Fall/Spring, clearly are meant to be taken in one semester over the other, just by the number of seats available.

Projecting forward as best as we can; a lot depends on if the future courses follow the same patterns as those past.

It has actually been interesting to see the evolution as some classes have doubled in size in just a few years.

Easy classes? None of the ones on that list. Try taking 12 credits and at least one humanities elective like Women’s Studies or Political Science.

^^ Actually, CS 102 is pretty darn easy. And I think the OP said that her son dropped one of the math courses and picked up a humanities course (not sure which one). I still would agree with you that the schedule doesn’t scream “Easy A” to me.

Well, I wouldn’t say the entire schedule is “Easy A”, just some of the classes. :slight_smile:

Dropped Theory of Probability. Added Dirty Jobs, which is supposedly very easy; I know it’s popular.

Previous physics and math classes he has gotten A’s in, so I just expect that to happen again. Also, added a kinesiology class.

Enough credits to drop one and still have a decent course load with potential for 4.0 GPA.

What is Dirty Jobs? Is that an English class?

I think it’s American Studies 205: http://ams.ua.edu/feature/whats-ams/

Just wanted to update here, and not start another thread.

After emailing financial aid and then speaking w/ someone in person in the financial aid office, DS is not as bad off as we thought.

I still hope he gets his GPA up to 4.0 this semester, to come off probation, but even if he doesn’t, as long as he is hitting a semester GPA of 3.0 he can actually keep his presidential scholarship. He will just stay on probation and it can continue until graduation.

He just needs to get the cumulative GPA up to 3.0 to come off probation.

That is wonderful news! Still has a hole to dig himself out of, and courses get harder, but it gives him a lot more breating room.

Impressed w/ Bama before, even more so now, what a gift.

@laralei Have your son start tutoring sessions as soon as he begins his courses, even if he is sure he is understanding the course material. Students often wait too late to begin getting help. In addition, have him go to the professor’s office hours right from the start, to clarify any questions he has. This will also show the professor that he is interested and trying to keep up a good GPA.

I would also second doing a semester of humanities/requirements, or at the very least balancing his course load. Taking more credits at the outset of the semester may be beneficial, so he can attend all the classes and drop one which is difficult or not investing, while still maintaining a credit load which will keep him on track for on time graduation.

I don’t know what your son’s interests (career goals) are other than what he is currently taking classes in, but sometimes students find out that a particular major is not all that exciting, or not cut out for them. Maybe, he can explore some other areas of interest this semester.

Good Luck to your son.

Tutoring and support through the ENGenuity Lab is a fantastic resource for your son. Here’s the link in case he isn’t aware of it.

http://students.eng.ua.edu/programs/engenuity-lab/

He has gotten A’s and B’s in his classes. They were tough classes. The problem was the Computer Science course. He had very little coding experience in HS and didn’t like it at all. He should have dropped the course at midterm, many of his friends did.

That F in a 4 credit course is what killed his GPA.

There weren’t any tutors at Bama for this class. Other parents have had to pay for outside tutoring. The redesigned class is just a tough class for a lot of kids who aren’t into coding. Someone suggested Math major, but that also has this class as a requirement, so he is out there too.

I have strongly suggested he look into other engineering programs that don’t require coding. I have also suggested he look into Actuarial Science.

He’s a bright kid, and I think this F really threw him off. That is why we are working on a sophomore year schedule to get his GPA up and give him a bit of a breather before tackling this course again.

Sadly, all I can really do is offer advice and make suggestions.

@laralei If he does not like coding, I agree that he should look into another engineering field since he is good at the base STEM courses. He should really consider ME or Materials E. How about Aero (interesting field for sure)?

I am biased because I graduated in Mat E but that degree has been incredibly useful to me throughout my engineering career.

He should not give up on engineering. Just reevaluate whether Comp Science is really what he wants.

I believe he’s an EE major, no?