OT - Miss America

<p>Slightly off topic, but I hear the new Miss America (Miss New York) is stirring up controversy because she’s only lived in NY for four years. She was born and raised in Alabama. Wonder how long it takes to “count” as a New Yorker?</p>

<p>I thought it was rather funny when I read the headlines, “Brooklyn native…”
Hmmmm, sounds like their editors need to do a better job.</p>

<p>As for these pagaents, you can pretty much enter for any state you want from what I’ve been told and the residency requirements are probably minimal at best. Girls make the circuit to find the one they can easily win. She had previously competed in pagaents in Alabama.</p>

<p>Hillary Clinton lived how long in NY before running for senator? You get NYC residency for instate tuition if you can show you’ve lived here, 3 years I believe. Why should Miss America contestants have that issue unless there are rules specifically addressing this. I do know that a lot of Miss Ohio contestants are from elsewhere, just going to college in Ohio. Other states have the same issue. It’s up to the rules in place. If they are violated, it’s one thing, but I don’t think they are in this case. When does one become a New Yorker? I figured I earned the designation once I started paying NY taxes and living here.</p>

<p>While not in this case, there have been girls who’ve moved to certain states because they believe that their pageant chances are better. If they’ve followed the rules, then fine.</p>

<p>I don’t normally watch the pageant but a grad from D’s HS was competing as Miss Texas so I tuned in. I thought NY did very well. I would have preferred to learn that she had graduated from UA rather than the “other school”, but oh well…</p>

<p>Am I the only one who burst out laughing at Miss Georgia’s definition of diversity? In case you missed it, she said that Georgia is diverse, “From Scarlett O’Hara to Honey Boo Boo”.</p>

<p>I like that in one week the world found out that Miss USA was from Alabama, Alabama won the BCS Championship, and Miss America is a born and raised native of Alabama even if she did win competing from NY. :slight_smile: ROLL TIDE! </p>

<p>Now, give more updates on all of the other UA sports :)<br>
I’m now going to be keeping a closer eye on what UA teams are in my area so that we can go support them.</p>

<p>tjmom, I missed that. She left out the Real Housewives of Atlanta??? Oh dear, bless her heart…</p>

<p>Ok, so while I am bashing contestants (and to be honest, we watched it as Miss Alabama’s aunt is a friend of the folks we were having dinner with). Miss Illinois was one of the others with a great intro line. She is “Miss Illinois- where Lincoln was from before he was a movie”.</p>

<p>Don’t remember what most of them said which is probably what you should be shooting for on this area of the competition.</p>

<p>I heard that, too, TJmom. I’m not from Georgia, but I currently live there. Hearing that made me cringe…and the stereotypes will live on.:)</p>

<p>Last year’s Miss America was from my home town, and her line was something like this “Aaron Rogers give me a call.” For months everyone was wondering whether he did or not (I guess he did finally meet him.) I think its fun when they have a line everyone remembers. I didn’t watch it this year, but I don’t see a problem with the winner and her residency as 4 years…after 2 years or so in my new state I considered that I belonged there.</p>

<p>tjmom…cringe indeed!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Robert Kennedy did the same thing.</p>

<p>[United</a> States Senate election in New York, 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_New_York,_1964]United”>1964 United States Senate election in New York - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This, by far, is the best of all time . . .</p>

<p>[Uhhh…what</a> did she just say?? Miss Teen South Carolina 2007 - YouTube](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg]Uhhh...what”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg)</p>

<p>My daughter has competed in the MAO system in Alabama. You must live, work, or attend school full time in the state you compete in for 6 months. This is a national MAO rule.
Alabama is one of the most difficult states to compete in, and almost impossible for an oos girl to win a local. The exception is the Miss UA pageant which has crowned oos girls in the past. My D was a runner up to last years’ Miss UA Caitlin Brunell. Caitlin is from Florida. Three years ago a girl from TN was crowned Miss UA. Didn’t make a splash at Miss AL, but won Miss TN the next year. Very, very hard to win outside your home state, at least in Alabama.
However AL awards very generous scholarships to winners and runner-ups. Miss UA awards a year tuition, clothes, jewelry, etc. My DD won a small scholarship for placing which was applied to her account for the next semester.</p>