New Yorker Loving University of Alabama

<p>My daughter left for Alabama last week for sorority recruitment. We live in New York. She is loving it so far and so are we. Great decision so far. No regrets. It was a scary decision for us (not for her) but she loves it there.</p>

<p>Great news! Glad that y’all are happy!</p>

<p>Wonderful! Here’s to the best of the North AND the South!</p>

<p>Oh I can confirm that here also in upstate NY, DS is having the time of his life, Alabama Action - amazing, people and atmosphere- amazing. Spirit, organization, weather, rush - amazing. Exceeded my highest hopes for transition. Now about those classes starting next week, :)</p>

<p>Catinhat95,
Your DD is not alone. I would estimate that there are at least 30-40 from NY starting the fall semester. 3 from my DS high school alone. That does not include NJ and Conn. Our DS started last week too with AA. Today he is helping setup as a new frat pledge for the BID parties. I’ve never seen him happier. He received an “award” last night at the AA banquet for “Best dirty and flirty”. My DW not sure she likes that award. Lol. It’s all good. We can’t wait for Parents weekend. </p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>glad to hear that all are enjoying themselves! i would like to know the exact number from the tri state area and the high schools they attended. i know there were two from my daughter’s high school.</p>

<p>Send a note to your recruiter. Our recruiter sent us an excel spreadsheet of those her region covered which included NY (Hudson Valley Region) not Long Island, upper NJ, lower Conn. The spreadsheet listed email addresses, high school attended etc.</p>

<p>Glad to hear all the positive experiences. My daughter is a rising senior and is considering applying. Her only worry is that she does not want to pledge a sorority. I have read that there is lots to do besides Greek life but she is worried about this. Have any other northerners gone this route and what has been their experience?</p>

<p>DS just arrived on campus an hour ago. He couldn’t wait to get back. Another NY kid loving life in Alabama.</p>

<p>Been taking the train in Tuscaloosa, which runs to and from New York. Met a couple of grad students from upstate New York last couple of trips, who were going home for a week before fall semester started.</p>

<p>At hotel this week, met a lot of not just New Yorkers, but also, Jewish folks, some from the north, some transplants to Florida. Even saw a kid with a yamaka working the desk at Ridgecrest. Not unusual to see at H and I alma maters of Miami and Tulane, but totally unexpected in the Bible Belt.</p>

<p>Glad to see that Bama is growing in not just geographic but cultural diversity.</p>

<p>even though my daughter did pledge, after a week she told me that she felt she would have been fine not pledging.</p>

<p>oh yes, i got that too! completely forgot about that! thanks!</p>

<p>What train goes from Tuscaloosa to New York?? How long must that ride be???</p>

<p>Just take the hyperloop!</p>

<p>^ yes, DS is one of those geographic and culturally diverse students. I can tell you Hillel has grow quite nicely at UA.</p>

<p>The Crescent, Amtrak line, originates in New Orleans, and ends in New York. Of course, it also originates in New York and ends in NOLA. I’ve now taken the train both ways and met many people who got on in New York and were heading to NOLA. The ride from NOLA to Tuscaloosa is not much longer than a car ride, with the advantage of stretching one’s feet and using the facilities. One can also take the Crescent to NOLA and then board the City of New Orleans to Chicago or the Sunset Limited out west. The Crescent leaves NOLA at 7 am and arrives in NOLA at 7 pm every day. With Triple A discount and advance purchase, a ticket from Tuscaloosa to NOLA will run you about 40 bucks.</p>

<p>^^^^Montegut, how long is that train ride from Tuscaloosa to New York. I’m figuring somewhere from 20 to 24hrs???</p>

<p>BTW, nice contingent of NY young ladies on that Bid list particularly from the Long Island area.</p>

<p>I think the New York train ride is about 24 hours. The young man I talked to said he enjoys watching the country pass by. Can’t say I blame him. </p>

<p>There is a large New York contingent at Tulane at my hometown and there are always a lot of Tulane students heading home when we ride the train. </p>

<p>Same train goes to Birmingham, Atlanta, even DC. Very comfortable and clean. You can bring your own food and drink on board, or you can get food on the train, but it’s pricey.</p>

<p>^^^^Are the coach seats comfortable for a 24hr ride? I’d imagine the sites are beatiful.</p>

<p>Very comfortable. You can pull up a cushion from under the seat, and you can recline in the seat. Like sitting in your Lazy Boy in your parents living room. Bathroom on board, and fully stocked bar, too, I might add. Also a dining car. </p>

<p>My favorite sites from NOLA to Bama are the ride over Lake Pontchartrain, where I do some great bird watching, and the beautiful limestone banks of the Tombigbee River near the Alabama border. One ride featured National Park Rangers who had literature outlining the sites you’ll see. Can’t wait to do the full ride one day.</p>