Our son was just accepted to SLU School of Medicine

<p>Great choices!!! Congratulations!!</p>

<p>Wow, that’s great to hear about the Bama OOS preference. UAB and USA are both excellent medical/nursing schools, and I know a lot of our Louisiana kids would love to attend med/nursing school there and settle permanently in Alabama.</p>

<p>Would the AL SOM “preference” rule hold up for other colleges in AL besides Bama? D would love to go to UAB, but we were afraid since she’s OOS, it would be impossible (and incredibly expensive) …</p>

<p>Your Auburn D should still get a preference for both UAB and South. I don’t know if UAB would give her instate rates, but South might.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info – it’s good to know UAB could still be a possibility.</p>

<p>We don’t know much about South AL – assuming D will begin to familiarize herself with all options.</p>

<p>Congratulations! Great choices to have! Did he consider applying for the UAB MSTP?</p>

<p>As a noob with an freshly accepted DS freshman, I just met you, but congrats! </p>

<p>It’s hard <em>not</em> to dream/imagine some of us clueless beginners will be helping future parents here in just a few years.</p>

<p>Congratulations, again! There’s nothing like having options!</p>

<p>Did he consider applying for the UAB MSTP?</p>

<p>No, he really wasn’t interested in MD/PhD. </p>

<p>Audellmom…Is your D applying this cycle? Has she taken the MCAT yet?</p>

<p>No – she’s not up for this cycle – she will start the app process next spring. She’s trying to get all her ducks in a row though – your earlier list was very helpful for H and I to see. She has been working on some of the items on the list, but still needs to work on others:
-Will be shadowing this summer
-Does speak Spanish (she has a minor in this)
-Currently involved in research and will be this summer as well @ Wash U SOM
-Still needs to engage in health-related volunteer work (another item to tackle!)
-Will be studying for the MCAT this summer (sat for a couple practice sessions at AU)
-Wishes she had prepped for organic chem over the summer – it’s her only B thus far.</p>

<p>Ugh. It will be yet another ‘pins and needles’ experience. I’m not sure where she’ll apply.</p>

<p>UAB put a video up from Match Day today on their Facebook page.Just think, in a few years you can sweat that out. It never ends, does it?</p>

<p>You are right about that! The stakes are higher on this med school business – I guess we’ll need plans A, B, C, … G, F … lined up.</p>

<p>Ugh. It will be yet another ‘pins and needles’ experience. I’m not sure where she’ll apply.</p>

<p>Once she has her MCAT score, she’ll be able to make up a final list. Until then, all you can do is come up with a couple of lists based on a MCAT score within one range or one within another range.</p>

<p>my understanding for uab med school you must establish residency before in state is considered which includes a 12 month requirement of being in state without the sole purpose being educational… a gap year or 2 (due to the 12 month prior component) in state could possibly cover that</p>

<p>Applicants who meet one of the following conditions are generally reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes:
You are a member, the spouse, and/or dependent child of a member in the U. S. military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school.
You are a full-time employee (not temporary) in the state or the spouse or minor dependent of such an employee.
You are employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow.</p>

<p>Before making an application for resident student classification, please be aware of the following:
Guidelines for determining residency for tuition purposes are independent of other regulations used by state authorities to determine residency in the state of Alabama. For example, having an Alabama driver’s license, an Alabama car tag, and/or voter registration will not necessarily demonstrate residency for tuition purposes.
Attending UAB or another institution of higher learning in Alabama does not establish in-state residency for tuition purposes. Residence in Alabama is residing in the State with the intent of remaining indefinitely.
If a person is in Alabama primarily for the purpose of obtaining an education, that person will generally be considered a nonresident student.
Documents supporting a reclassification application should be dated, issued, or filed twelve (12) months before the first day of the semester for which reclassification is sought.
To be considered for in-state tuition, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
If you are 19 years of age or older, you must establish residency based on your own circumstances and not that of your parent(s) or guardian.</p>