Out of state- $50000/Year-Too much?

<p>I am an out of state kid dreaming of going to a particular UC school. Parts of my family live very near the college and I’ve wanted to go there since I first visited. However, $50,000 a year really doesn’t seem feasible. Paying over $200,000 dollars for college doesn’t seem right. I could easily go to a good, local university for $80,000.</p>

<p>I won’t lie and say money isn’t an issue, because it is. However, I’m fairly certain if I got into this UC school and attended we could find a way to pay for it. That’s not the problem. The problem is going through life knowing you just dropped four new BMWs to go to college. Wow, kind of contradicted my self there. We could afford it in the end, but I doubt we could live with ourselves after dropping that sort of money. That’s the money issue. My old man is a very frugal man.</p>

<p>Where do you draw the line? Is it worth $200,000 to achieve your dream?</p>

<p>I'd never do 200k.. i'm too cheap and my parents would kill me :D
I would try aiming for a good in-state college, or community college for two years and then transfer to a better college, which would cut down the costs.</p>

<p>My two cents:
Absolutely not.
I personally think none of the UCs are worth the out of state price tag. Especially since they cost as much as (or more!) a private only the financial aid isn't as good. I really don't know what the financial aid is like for out of state students, but in state students get barely any so I'm sure it's not much better. Many privates have a generous financial aid plan that can make $50,000 a year very possible.</p>

<p>I'm not sure which UC you want to go to, but unless it's UCB or UCLA (LA is even questionable) I'd say definitely not worth it. IMHO, Berkeley isn't even worth the price tag for an OOS. Of course, money is a big factor for me and I just don't see it as the best investment possible.</p>

<p>If you want to go there <em>very</em> badly I'd say maybe try to bend the rules of OOS? Like moving in with your family that lives there after a year in order to gain residency status.</p>