Out of stater questions on Cal Poly

Can someone point me where to find the information about acceptance rates by major at CalPolySLO? Thanks!

After reading the whole thread I figured out how to calculate it? Thank you! We are visiting CalPolySlo in August and I wonder if someone can reccomend hotel conveniently located to stay overnight and enjoy the area. Thanks!

@Noisymom: Just remember these are projected acceptance rates by major. Many times they will be different than the original projection.

Madonna Inn is an institution, need to visit there. Not sure if you actually want to stay there, but definitely worth a visit.

We stayed at the Shore Cliff Hotel in Pismo Beach, which is about 20 minutes away from CP SLO by car. A nice hotel on the water, but no beach access. And about 5-10 minutes to the Pismo Beach Pier.

Many parents have said that the Quality Inn is very nice. The location is super close, full breakfast is included, and there are complimentary drinks in the evening. Being OOS, we are more budget conscience and stay at the Vagabond, just down the road from the Madonna. It was very recently remodeled and much improved. Plus, Denny’s is right there and they give 20% off to those staying at the Vagabond.

1 Like

@Noisymom, best to start a new thread if you need any more information than this. The OP gets emails every time someone replies. If it’s off the topic they started it’s sort of a hassle.

Here you go. BTW, they are projections, not acceptance rates. They are very close though. Assume a yield of 33%.

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2019-20%20Enrollment%20Projections%20for%20Continuing%20Students%20-%20no%20total%20error%20adj.pdf

Thank you to all who responded and I apologies if it steered the thread away from topic.

I was also an out of state student (also from Illinois). Not an engineering major though. However, my husband majored in computer science at Cal Poly, and went on to work at a big tech company in Silicon Valley that you’ve definitely heard of (message me if you want to know where). He’s now going to work at a startup and we’re in the process of relocating to SoCal for his new job.

I applied to Cal Poly as an out of state student over 10 years ago now, so I’m sure quite a bit has changed since then. However, if you have questions about things other than the application process, or questions about working in tech after graduation, I can help answer those.

We also recently ran into one of my husband’s old computer science professors from Cal Poly who told us that they got a few thousand computer science applicants this year for under 200 spots. So if your son wants to be on this business side of things eventually, I’d consider how “far” on this business side he wants to be, as getting in as a business major is probably a bit easier than getting in as a computer science major.

So, will taking Art senior year fulfill the F category requirements , even though it will not be counted towards GPA? Or student should fulfill every A-G category by 11 grade?? Thank you.

@Noisymom you can take art in 12th grade and it will count.

@Noisymom: Applicants only need to fulfill 11 of the 15 a-g minimum course requirements by application time to be eligible to apply. Of course, the majority of applicants will exceed the minimum a-g course requirements even by the application deadline but taking Art Senior is perfectly fine.

Thank you, @lkg4answers and @Gumbymom!

My son got in to CS 2024 Out of state. What are the chances to get internships and jobs in Silicon Valley compare to SCU or San Jose State?

@sandycc: Your son was just accepted for CS at Cal Poly SLO? Seems extremely early for OOS students to be hearing since they usually start around Mid to Late February. I am sure other anxious posters would like to know if he received an email or just saw the acceptance in his portal? Congratulations to him and SLO is a great option where many top employers recruit.

Chances for internships and jobs for CS majors depends a lot upon the student themselves. There are plenty of opportunities for CS majors at Cal Poly SLO, but definitely not something that is guaranteed.

The SLO career center can help with resume writing along with job/internship postings. The career center would have up to date information.

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/careerservices/1/images/new_exploreservices/graduate_status_report/2017-18%20GSR%20Summary%20Sheet-Engineering.pdf

https://careerservices.calpoly.edu/gsr-dashboards

I cannot make a comparison of which is better, but SCU, SLO and SJSU are all great options.

My daughter is a ME 2020 Applicant.
This is less along the lines of acceptance and more along the lines of student life at Cal Poly for Out of State Students. For those that are out of state without a car. What airports are the easiest to fly in and out of and/or how do students find transportation to from campus. Does Cal Poly have a shuttle to the airports, or do they need to find their own transportation to and from the airports.

My daughter has also applied to some schools that have an airport near campus (within 30-45 minutes) and I’m starting to think this might be an important factor to consider. The first time we visited, we flew into LAX and drove to SLO. Second time we flew into SFO and drove to SLO. As we are starting to look at our options and compare Pasadena to SLO or the Bay Area to SLO, the ease of reaching campus for out of state students is definitely something we need to think about. She LOVES Cal Poly and we love SLO for her, but it isn’t easy to get to and from. I currently have a sophomore at an in state school (without an airport), however they do have an airport shuttle, which is nice.

Off topic, but we did stay at the Madonna Inn and loved it. The quirkiness of the hotel was fun and we kind of have a personal mission to stay in different rooms each time we visit. It probably isn’t for everyone though.

@Mamad863 The San Luis Obispo airport is close enough to campus for a taxi/uber. Presumably your city does not have a direct flight. I would send the student on a connecting flight via LAX or SFO, though understandably changing planes is annoying. There are direct flights from Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, LAX, SFO, and San Diego.

I did not know there was an airport in SLO. And I just looked it up and we have a direct flight. We had all just assumed there wasn’t an airport there. It’s expensive, but still less than flying to lax and renting a car.

Thank you so very much!

My older daughter graduated from CalPoly a couple of years back and my younger one is a sophomore. They always used San Jose, smaller more convenient airport than SFO, closer to SLO, with tons of flights. They have always relied on finding rides on student Facebook pages and never had a problem, lots of kids in the Bay Area looking to save on gas. This is true even if they have a car, it is generally more expensive to park around the airport than the cost for sharing a ride.

You can fly out of SLO, but you have far fewer flights/more expensive and the airport is often in fog.

@Mamad863, My son attended from OOS (BS/MS ME) without a car first year. He rarely drove when he did have a car except to come home to Oregon. The ride share program is pretty good.

Also, as a point of courtesy, it’s best to start a new thread unless you are directly answering the OP’s question. The original poster gets a notification every time there’s a reply. It can be a pain when your thread drifts off course.

Good luck! PM me if you or your daughter have any questions about our son’s experience.