Oxford (Math+CS) vs. Georgia Tech (CS)

I assume you want to pursue a PhD in the US, which is funded, correct? Going to Oxford wouldn’t negatively affect your chances. All else being equal, I’d bet an Oxford undergraduate degree would be viewed more favorably for admission to a PhD program.

Wait… are you referring to Oxford University in UK or Oxford College within Emory University?

Fairly sure he is referring to Oxford as in Oxbridge … and the reason he is referring to Emory vs Oxford is in reference to being able to taking courses outside of GT as in humanities et al.

1 Like

Got it. Thx.

fwiw I just had a lengthy discussion with a friend - a mutual friend’s son got (US-based) got into Oxford and Rice … and we had a very heated discussion (I was trying to make a case for Rice). Oxford is one of the main target schools (for us hiring CS grads these days), as the US grads from top schools just are too expensive. We couldn’t come to a conclusion … luckily the kid got into hist top choice - Stanford so won’t have to make that decision …

It’s not quite that exclusive. A first (top 30% nowadays) is usually enough to get decent PhD opportunities. One of my classmates (top 20% but not top 10%) wasn’t able to get a funded math PhD place at Oxbridge and had to settle for his backup option of Caltech.

Most funding for pure research is directed towards UK students. There are some scholarships for tippy top international students. But in CS there may also be some industrial funding available (from tech companies).

btw: the chance of practicing law in the US is slim. We have a surplus of law grads every year, and it is highly unlikely that a US law firm would sponsor you to work in a US office.

1 Like

Your friend might be very strong but I’ve heard of plenty of cases where first class students get rejected for all their PhD applications. US PhDs are especially harsh on Oxford nowadays and many settle for a masters.

i know, but it’s nice to have some skills as an addition.

I am referring to Oxford University. I dont know why but it seems that recent graduates find it extremely hard to apply to US PhDs as international students.

tech funding seems to be an interesting prospect. Does receiving tech funding mean that you are commited to working at that company after graduation?

It’s highly dependent on the programs they applied to. For example, if they aimed for some of the top PhD programs in machine learning, the odds are low for everyone because these programs’ admit rates (for domestic or international students) are a fraction of 1% (much lower than those of the most rejective undergraduate schools in the US), even for those with stellar grades, lots of research experiences, and multiple published papers. The role undergraduate schools play is to prepare you academically and provide you with research opportunities that give you the potential to demonstrate your abilities. The rest is up to you.

I’m thinking of professors/research groups that might get funding from a tech company for a research project. Unlike the typical UK PhD funding mechanisms (from the national research councils) it won’t necessarily be restricted to UK nationals.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.