PA or Nursing

Hello,

So I’m having trouble deciding between pursuing nursing or Physician Assistant. I got into a few 4 year nursing programs near me and few 5 year PA programs that are father away, (3 hours or more). I feel like I want to be a PA more than a nurse, but the 5 year PA programs are more costly and I’d be in debt at the end of it. If I do nursing my parents will pay for it. But I feel like I would still end up going for my masters anyways as a nurse. However, being an NP is not something I’m interested in because I feel like PA training and education is better.

Doing PA cost about 12K more per year for the undergrad portion of the program than the nursing program near me does. So what should I do?

1 Like

Would you be able to talk to some physicians and medical professionals in your area to see which they prefer? You may get interesting answers that could help guide a decision.

I have asked a couple of people, and some specialities seem to prefer PAs while others prefer NPs. From the limited conversations I had, I would choose the nurse practitioner route, but that could vary depending on where your interests and strengths lie.

2 Likes

The nursing profession is completely different than being a PA, so you really need to think about why you would want to choose one over the other.

As far as NP vs PA, I think you should shadow both. As a practicing NP, I felt my MSN program prepared me very well; however, I also had about 10 years of ER nursing under my belt when I became an NP. In the end, NP’s and PA’s are very similar in the work they do.

4 Likes

Hi,
I shadowed a PA and nurses over the summer and I really liked what the PA did over what the nurses did. But it did seem like the NPs and PAs did similar tasks. I think I’m having difficulty deciding because I want to do PA, but i feel like nursing would be the safer option because it’s closer to home and cheaper. Anyways, thanks for your response!

1 Like

I haven’t read the chain.

I read your first message and last sentence.

You clearly want to be a PA. Find a lower cost school - one with merit - even if a little further from home.

You clearly state an NP is not something I’m interested in.

Thanks for replying. I was thinking I could do a PA program after nursing school. But you’re right PA is something I’m more interested in, I’m just conflicted.

Perhaps you were overstating but you didn’t say more. You said not interested.

1 Like

I would not do nursing school with the intention of starting PA school later. First, a nursing curriculum is very specific and you are unlikely to be able to get your PA prerequisites in easily. Second, PA and nursing approaches are different even if the responsibilities are similar. Third, you would likely be back to paying the money you intended to save by going to nursing school, plus you would have the opportunity cost of sacrificing those years of income because you aren’t in the workforce.

1 Like

If you truly want to become a PA, then going to school for nursing is not the best or easiest path. Either apply to a direct-entry Master’s program to become a PA or choose a science major like Bio or Chem to get your pre-reqs and BS degree and then apply to a PA program.

1 Like

Hi, If you are not interested in being a nurse or NP, you should not go to nursing school. It is true that NP’s and PA’s can do very similar things. It is also true that some specialties prefer one over the other. If you are interested in primary care, ob/gyn (midwife), mental health, NP will likely prepare you better. In addition, if you are interested in anesthesiology, NP anesthetists are among the best paid professions. If you want to work in surgery or cardiology, you may want to consider PA.
I agree with previous poster that it does not make sense to go to Nursing school unless your goal is nursing or NP. However, I am not sure from your post why you prefer PA training? (I am also an NP, I work in pediatrics, and I know programs are different, but I prefer the nursing model - it is not better for everyone through). Have you talked with students, faculty and professionals from both fields and programs?

3 Likes

My friends who are physicians prefer working with NP over a PA because of the clinical training that nurses receive. Talk with people in the field esp the area you want to go in. Good luck - I love working in healthcare and there are so many great opportunities!

Just to make it more confusing the students from our local college that work in my office are all applying to PA school.

What makes you assume this?

Shadow an NP and a PA for a day. Or at the very least, do an informational interview with 1 of each. Ask them what they like the most about their job, what they like the least, etc., etc.

1 Like

Have you had a chance to shadow and speak with BSNs, NPs and PAs in different settings?

My daughter was not a nursing major. A few years after graduating from college she applied, and was accepted to, direct entry NP programs. She ended up not attending because she came to the realization that another field was where her interests really were. She is now in the process of interviewing for those programs.

She shadowed orthopedic surgeons and had a chance to speak to the PAs. Many of were frustrated because they were not happy with their role within that department. They wanted more responsibility. If you shadow PAs in other hospitals, organizations, clinics etc you will likely find other perspectives.

She shadowed NPs at a pediatrician’s office as well as obgyn (obgyn was limited to blood pressure etc). She also spoke to students who recently graduated from direct entry NP programs about job prospects, ease of gaining employment without a lot of BSN experience etc.

My point is that you should shadow and ask questions. If you do not like nursing, then do not major in nursing. I do not agree that PA education and training is better.

2 Likes

Hello,
I have shadowed in the hospital and talked to people in my area. It seems like everyone around me thinks the careers are the same so I should just do what’s cheaper. I think some people thought I was saying NP training is bad as opposed to PA training, but I think they’re both great fields. The PA profession is just more aligned with what I want to do (surgery) and I like that it’s follows the medical model. Thanks for your insight!

1 Like

If the PA profession is aligned with what you want to do, then that is what you should do.

You do not have to go straight to PA school. I know plenty of PAs who worked for a few years first.

2 Likes

@Aliyah484

One advantage to the APRN route…you get your degree in nursing…and can actually get a job. Some nursing jobs even provide stipends for APRN courses you can then take. IIRC, these APRN courses of study do require a couple of years of experience working as a nurse. But hey…it’s a paid job.

2 Likes

Make sure you understand what PA’s do in a surgical capacity and what they do not do. (cannot do, based on their licensure). I know this is a subject of some confusion. In most parts of the country, you will not be “doing” surgery. You will be providing pre and post Operative care for surgical patients- much like RN’s do.

1 Like

I truly hope they are not doing surgery…

1 Like