Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>Technically, no, but it sort of does. Because the college is aware of both your overwhelming interest and the fact that you really will need to go, they are going to offer you the bare minimum that they must.</p>

<p>I would’ve thought there their endowment would’ve been bigger!</p>

<p>The endowment isn’t the problem. Sexton gives out millions in interest free “loans” to professors and administrators to purchase homes, and honestly, in many cases, second homes. The student body is bitter about it. It’s caused quite a bit of controversy on campus.</p>

<p>hotpotato1092:</p>

<p>Like you, I have a problem with the school giving out interest free loans for vacations homes.</p>

<p>However, I wouldn’t imagine that this alone would account for all of NYU’s financial difficulties.</p>

<p>NYU’s endowment is small because several decades ago NYU was a modest commuter school with little to no reputation and wasn’t pumping out alums with the same financial success rate as would be expected from a university with its reputation today. </p>

<p>Additionally, instead of investing money in financial aid, the university is using its money to expand. There’s little doubt in my mind that NYU’s facilities are overcrowded. However, these new buildings will not be completed until well after everyone who is at NYU now has graduated, yet they’re in effect paying for them, since if they weren’t building them they could put the money to financial aid.</p>

<p>Could someone define what does anticipated credit mean?</p>

<p>I applied for financial aid, but only recieved 1000 CAS scholarship. No loan! Is this normal? Will it change once I file FAFSA?</p>

<p>I really hope that everyone applying to NYU fully understands that NYU can, and DOES, take away financial aid at any time for apparently any reason. This is why I am happy that last spring at commitment time my daughter chose UCLA over NYU, because if her $35,000 NYU scholarship had ever been taken away, she would have been forced to withdraw. </p>

<p>I had read about this happening on College Confidential. Well this JUST HAPPENED to one of my D’s high school classmates. He received enough FA for his family to decide to allow him to attend his dream school, NYU. He began his first semester just this past August, and absolutely loved it. My daughter found out last night that he just moved back home this weekend and is now enrolled at the local community college for next semester because when he went to enroll for next semester at NYU, his FA was gone. He was doing well in his classes, his grades weren’t even posted yet obviously because the semester was still in session, and NYU decided for some arbitrary unknown reason to rescind his FA. Without the FA, his family cannot afford NYU, so his time at his dream school lasted all of one semester, and he is devastated. </p>

<p>So if you can not afford NYU without any NYU financial aid, then you really need to evaluate what you will do if you are one of the many students who have their FA taken away for no apparent reason. Just some words of caution. And when other posters say that your FA is guaranteed for 4 years, please don’t believe it, because now we know, first hand, that these stories are true.</p>

<p>Sorry, but I have never heard of this happening before and I have had kids at NYU for the last 6 years and have been reading these posts even longer. I am sure there is more to this story than NYU just taking away aid.</p>

<p>The most important thing to learn from this is never believe what you read or what people tell you on face value. There is often much more to a story. Especially one that concerns very personal info like financial aid or grades. </p>

<p>Don’t base your decisions on what you hear. Check things out first hand that concern your future.</p>

<p>One thing that you WILL find is that NO institution will guarantee any award. There are always going to be variables that can revoke an award. Read the fine print and understand them.</p>

1 Like

<p>I, too have NEVER heard of NYU taking away money without a reason. The reason could be change in income. It could also mean not making the requirements on a scholarship in terms of GPA, number of credits taken, etc. This happens at a number of schools that give out merit awards with stipulations and most of them do have stipulations usually GPA and #of credits Financial aid is very much income driven, so yes, that will change with if a family gets more money even if it is not money that they feel can be directed to the college.</p>

<p>Some acquaintances are going through that pain. Stepmom went back to work after a hiatus at home She is getting a “good salary” but family marginal tax rate, childcare costs for the kids still in elem school, commuting costs, etc are going to make it a just about zero in terms of actual cash gains. But the fin aid numbers show a nice net increase in income. Dad and stepmom are not going to give the increase in costs to the college kid as they don’t have it. It’s going to be even more of an increase next year too, with still not much netted out. Step mom is just getting geared up to rejoin the work force and hopes to make a nice difference in family income in 3-5 years but these first years are going to be net losses, so absolutely no extra money for college kids. But the college kid has to come up with increase that this generates. Tough situation. I can tell you a number of other situations like this.</p>

<p>I actually read about it on other boards, not CC, so I stand corrected on that point, but only that point. The (now former) student who was my D’s classmate had not yet taken finals of his first semester, so grades/GPA were not an issue. And neither was income, since again, this was just this past December, and no income changes had taken place since he was accepted last spring and received his final FA package. Since I posted above, I have learned of more of these seemingly random instances of FA being reduced for apparently no valid reason. So instead of just discounting what I’m saying, since I have first hand knowledge of this particular instance, please just let it serve as it is intended: as a reminder for people to be very careful and plan ahead, because you can not count on the FA continuing to be there, even after your very first semester. </p>

<p>x0mom11–Again, you or I do not know the circumstances of this student’s experience at NYU. Saying that they clearly did not have failing grades their first semester because it was not yet finals time when their scholarship was supposedly yanked, is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge about NYU and their grading policy. Again, I have absolutely no knowledge of the said student, but I can tell you that academic intervention at NYU would start way before a student has their actual final grades if there is a problem. Midterm grades are posted mid semester for each class and academic advisors review them. If there are any issues that the student has in terms of grades or even attendance that may jeopardize the student passing a class, the professor is obligated to contact the student’s advisors and some sort of meeting or intervention takes place. I would imagine that if there were a major issue and the student is at risk to fail more than one class, scholarship eligibility may have been discussed. </p>

<p>OK, so don’t believe what I’m saying, that’s fine. NYU is great is never takes away scholarships ever, and kids never have to leave bc their scholarships are taken away. Don’t warn anyone about the possibility or potential of this happening, and let them go in without any forewarning. That’s just great. No, this didn’t happen to me. I have no grudge against NYU. I am thrilled to death that my daughter is at UCLA, loves it, and has a 4.0 there. I just hate to see this happen to anyone, especially when they have NO IDEA that it may happen. I have read so many accounts of this happening, so to just discount this is ridiculous. It’s just a warning for people to be careful, geez
</p>

1 Like

<p>I have heard of this happening but there was academic dishonesty involved</p>

<p>xomom11–you go from giving one example of this happening to now stating that you have read so many accounts of this happening
</p>

<p>Readers, I think that NYU (and schools in general) do not randomly take away scholarships that were intended for all four years of attendance. There will always be a good reason–grade requirements not being met, taking too few classes, change in financial status, change in residential requirements, etc. The bottom line is this: understand the requirements for any scholarship you have won. Do not make assumptions. Know the facts before you say yes to an offer of acceptance that involves grants, loans or scholarships. And don’t take 3rd party anecdotes as fact. #-o </p>

<p>So i’m trying to get some more money from NYU and I’m wondering how i should go about appealing. any help would be greatly appreciated. </p>

<p>-Email, physical letter, or phone call?</p>

<p>-What types of info should i include in the appeal, and how should i explain my need? like what should i tell them?</p>

<p>-Should i mention scholarship offers received from other schools?</p>

<p>-Should i mention things like how my sis is about to start grad school and my (single) dad is scheduled to retire this year, so money is tight?</p>

<p>-They’re my first choice, so should i talk about how they’re my dream school and if i get any more aid, ill pledge to attend? </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Go in person if convenient. Take ALL documentation with you. If not, then a phone call AND follow up email.</p></li>
<li><p>You are asking them to reconsider your financial aid award. You need to tell them WHY (e.g. This is my top choice school and but in order to attend, I would need additional funds).</p></li>
<li><p>YES
mention specific schools and awards, and be prepared to provide NYU with a COPY of the awards.</p></li>
<li><p>NYU isn’t going to care one bit about your sister in grad school, or your dad’s FUTURE retirement plans. (YOU, however, SHOULD be concerned about that retirement especially if it will impact the amount your dad can contribute to college).</p></li>
<li><p>Leave out the DREAM SCHOOL wording. Just leave it out. Yes, you can tell the. It’s your top choice school.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>As a friendly reminder (this has been stated to you on multiple threads). Absolutely ask about aid reconsideration. BUT keep in mind that NYU does NOT guarantee to meet full need
your $45,000 financial aid award is a very generous one from NYU.</p>

<p>I don’t recall what your EFC was
but do NOT expect NYU to award you aid to cover that. They won’t.</p>

<p>If I got a CAS Scholarship, does that mean I got my FAFSA and CSS in on time? if so, I’m confused as to why I did not get a Pell Grant or any federal aid. Is the federal aid included in the CAS Scholarship or something?</p>

<p>Does anyone know how difficult it is to qualify for the spring federal loan one? </p>

<p>My daughter just got an email that they have not been able to upload her FAFSA or CSS because she did not supply her social security number. Yet there has never been anything on her “to do” list. Her SS number was on the common app, no? How is it even possible to get admitted to the university without a social security number, and why didn’t they request this information previously? </p>

<p>Can people post how much you got from financial aid from NYU and a ballpark of your family income so the rest of us can get a good idea of how they are giving this year? </p>